Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers editing bash command line with vi Post 27506 by peter.herlihy on Tuesday 3rd of September 2002 12:02:05 AM
Old 09-03-2002
editing bash command line with vi

Is there a way using bash that I can edit a command line using vi.

I.e. if I have a long command line and I want to edit it.....by typing vi and then having the command open in an editing window....

I beleive this can be done in k shell by pressing v....however can find out how this can be done in bash.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single line file editing command?

Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot about the various different text editors at my disposal through Unix, but I just can't seem to close the deal for what I am trying to do. Is there a way to issue a single line command to edit a file where pattern=x, and do it non-destructively AND in-place?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gator76
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ksh command line editing text being overwritten

hi. i'm using ksh with set -o vi. if i am far down in a directory and try to edit the command line (esc-k to retrieve previous command) the cursor is being positioned over to the left on top of the directory text making the text very difficult to read or work with. seems to be problem with long... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffa123
2 Replies

3. AIX

Typing "bash" at the command line spawns two bash processes

Server: IBM p770 OS: AIX 6.1 TL5 SP1 When one of our develoeprs types "bash" on the command line to switch shells, it hangs. For some reason, two bash processes are created....the first bash process spawns a second bash process in the same console, causing a hang. Anyone have any idea what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wjssj
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running set options from the command line and bash command

I'm reading about debugging aids in bash and have come across the set command. It says in my little book that an addition to typing set you can also use them "on the command line when running a script..." and it lists this in a small table: set -o option Command Line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash, command line substitution

I have one script calling another with a set of strings that includes white space. Script A calls Script B with these input strings: one two "th ree" Script B pulls apart the arguments correctly: arg0 = one, arg1 = two, arg2 = "th ree" if I call it from within Script A like so:... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: skippyV
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Loading a command's output line by line into an array

I have been trying this a lot of different ways and haven't found too much online. Here's what I've got so far: j=0 declare -a first zero=(`cat $tmpfile`) for i in "${zero}" do command $i >> "${first}" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp command works on command line but not in bash

The below command moves all the .vcf files into the directory. cp /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/vcf/overall/stats/*.vcf /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/annovar When I use a bash wrapper the target.txt gets created but the text files do not get copied. All the paths are the same, but not sure why... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on bash command line

OS : RHEL / Oracle Linux 6.8 In bash shell, how can I replace a character under the cursor with another character ? In the below example , after I typed the following line, I realized that I meant 7013 and not 2013. So I move the cursor to the left and keep it on top of 2 (of 2013) and I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
7 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)