Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - treat multiple delimiters as one Post 27396 by oombera on Friday 30th of August 2002 12:12:34 PM
Old 08-30-2002
*beaming at the praise* Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a file with multiple delimiters into columns

Hi All I have recently had to start using Unix for work and I have hit brick wall with this prob.... I have a file that goes a little something like this.... EUR;EUR;EUR:USD:USD;USD;;;EUR/USD;XAU/AUD;XAU/EUR;XAU/AUD,GBP/BOB,UAD/XAU;;;1.11;2.22;3.33;4.44;5.55;6.66;;; is it possible to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: luckycharm
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK with multiple delimiters

I have the following string sample: bla bla bla bla bla I would like to extract the "123" using awk. I thought about awk -F"]" '{ print $1 }' but it doesn't work Any ideas ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdub
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting based on multiple delimiters

Hello, I have data where words are separated by a delimiter. In this case "=" The number of delimiters in a line can vary from 4to 8. The norm is 4. Is it possible to have a script where the file could be separated starting with highest number of delimiters and ending with the lowest An... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting problem: Multiple delimiters, multiple keys

Hello If you wanted to sort a .csv file that was filled with lines like this: <Ticker>,<Date as YYYYMMDD>,<Time as H:M:S>,<Volume>,<Corr> (H : , M, S: ) by date, does anybody know of a better solution than to turn the 3rd and 4th colons of every line into commas, sorting on four keys,... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ryan.
20 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

treating multiple delimiters[solved]

Hi, I need to display the last column value in the below o/p. sam2 PS 03/10/11 0 441 Unable to get o/p with this awk code awk -F"+" '{ print $4 }' pwdchk.txt I need to display 441(in this eg.) and also accept it as a variable to treat it with if condition and take a decision.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple delimiters

Hi Folks, This is the first time I ever encountered this situation My input file is of this kind cat input.txt 1 PAIXAF 0 1 1 -9 0 0 0 1 2 0 2 1 2 1 7 PAIXEM 0 7 1 -9 1 0 2 0 1 2 2 1 0 2 9 PAKZXY 0 2 1 -9 2 0 1 1 1 0 1 2 0 1 Till the sixth column (which is -9), I want my columns to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Editing phone number with multiple delimiters

Hello all I have a data base of information that is formatted like so: JSD4863 XXX-XX-XXXX DOE, JOHN C JR-II BISS CPSC BS INFO TECH 412/779-9445 I need the last four digits of the phone number. However, many lines contain 'garbage data' that I'm not interested in. So i used a 'for loop'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartSometimes
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script modification - treat certain files differently

awk 'BEGIN{OFS=","} FNR == 1 {if (NR > 1) {print fn,fnr,nl} fn=FILENAME; fnr = 1; nl = 0} {fnr = FNR} /UNUSUAL/ && /\.gz/ ~ /FILENAME/ {nl++} <'{system ("gunzip -cd FILENAME")}' END ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to append the multiple Delimiters up to requirement?

HI All, How to append the multiple delimiters to at end the file up to 69 fields. FinalDelimiter Count is 69 recrod Delimeter count is 10 so 69-10=59 this script will add upto 59 Delimiters to that records. this script will check each and every record in a file and append the delimiters... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.peddiredd
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting fields from a file having multiple delimiters

Hi All, I have a file with a single row having the following text ABC.ABC.ABC,Database,New123,DBNAME,F,ABC.ABC.ABC_APP,"@FUNCTION1("ENT1") ,@FUNCTION2("ENT2")",R, I want an output in the following format ABC.ABC.ABC DBNAME ABC.ABC.ABC_APP '@FUNCTION1("ENT1")... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)