Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The Cost Of UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The Cost Of UNIX Post 2737 by PxT on Thursday 31st of May 2001 05:02:31 PM
Old 05-31-2001
From http://droflet.net/unix_dot_com_faq.html

Q: I have a spare Intel box to install Unix on, which version is the best?

A: There is no single "best" vendor. Intel machines can run Linux, *BSD, and Solaris. Linux is available from various vendors such as Redhat, Mandrake, Suse, Slackware, Debian, etc. Solaris costs approximately $75 for the source media, or you can download it for free from Sun's website. The download is approximately 800 megabytes. Other distributions range from $5 on up depending on the level of support you get with it. Many may also be downloaded for free from the Internet. If your goal is to simply learn Unix, any distribution will probably work. If you have a specific purpose in mind, please research the appropriate vendor websites to determine if their product will meet your needs.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Cost and the scope of the system

Hi I'm recently learning about Unix. I'd like to know more about it specially what is the cost to set up a Unix system and the scope of the system. Where can I find this information? Can anyone help? :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danlercar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get UNIX tutorials(Free of Cost)

I wanted to learn UNIX & Shell Programming.Now i want material at free of cost.Where can i get ...tell me the SItes to get the tutorials (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hairamu
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the time cost of functions?

hi, There is a shell including many functions, when I run ksh -x/-v to see the call sequence, but how do I know which function cost more? Of course, use time CMD to get the scripts runnning time, while it can not tell me which cost more. Thanks very much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a2156z
1 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev and /sys to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help show help and exit -V, --version show version number and exit RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
mount(8) chroot(2) init(8) mkinitrd(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)