Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and Replace in multiple files (Shell script) Post 26664 by LivinFree on Thursday 22nd of August 2002 01:05:39 AM
Old 08-22-2002
I would bet that peter's is faster...

You could make it a split second faster by getting rid of the `ls *` though...

If could just be:
for y in *
since the shell will expand the * into all of the file names...
If you had directories in there, you'd want to use "find" to get only the files...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace files in multiple folders

Hi there, I would like to write a script to automate the copy and renaming of files in multiple dir. I have a generic file named s253e.prb and would like to copy this to multiple dir and rename it. Example: Dir is AL-M1 and the prb file name is AL-M1.prb. I would like to be able to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lodey
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace a string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to replace tokens in multiple files

I have multiple script files that I have created, that allow me to simply replace a few tokens at the top of the file, and then not have to go through the actual script and change anything. I have about 10 of them, but I was hoping to find a way to write a small script that would allow me to input... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
20 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to find and replace string in multiple files

I used the following script cd pathname for y in `ls *`; do sed "s/ABCD/DCBA/g" $y > temp; mv temp $y; done and it worked fine for finding and replacing strings with names etc. in all files of the given path. I'm trying to replace a string which consists of path (location of file) ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find and replace strings in multiple files

Hi All, Iam new to unix, I need to find string and replace it in the file name. Like text_123_0.txt,text_123_1.txt,text_123_2.txt. I need to search 123 and replace it with 234 . Is there any unix command to replace them in single command since i have 5 directories. So i need to go each and every... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: etldeveloper
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux find and replace in multiple files

Is there a reason why all of these examples of linux find and replace in multiple files use find and grep to pipe into sed or perl. Why not just use sed or perl directly with something like this? sed -i 's/echo/burnbaby/g' booboo*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to find and replace contents of files in directory

Hi all This is my first post. Please bear with me with all my mistakes. I started learning shell since couple of days now and this might be quite basic for all, i want to search for files in a directory containing specific string and replace it with new string. The code i wrote is quite bulky... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theprogrammer
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace in multiple files

Hi, I have php files in main dir and sub dir's as well. I need to find "new mysqli('localhost', 'System', 'xxxxxx', 'System', '3306');" and replace as "new mysqli('localhost', 'unx_sys', 'yyyy', 'unx_sys', '3306');" I tried like: sed 's/new mysqli\(*\)\;$/new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and replace from multiple files

Hello everybody, I need your help. I have a php site that was expoited, the hacker has injected into many php files a phishing code that was discovered and removed in order to have again a clean code. Now we need to remove from many php files that malware. I need to create a script that find and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninocap
2 Replies
TM::Index::Match(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     TM::Index::Match(3pm)

NAME
TM::Index::Match - Topic Maps, Indexing support (match layer) SYNOPSIS
# somehow get a map (any subclass of TM will do) my $tm = ... # one option: create a lazy index which learns as you go use TM::Index::Match; my $idx = new TM::Index::Match ($tm); # for most operations which involve match_forall to be called # reading and querying the map should be much faster # learn about some statistics, what keys are most likely to be useful my @optimized_keys = @{ $stats->{proposed_keys} }; # another option: create an eager index my $idx = new TM::Index::Match ($tm, closed => 1); # pre-populate it, use the proposed keys $idx->populate (@optimized_keys); # this may be a lengthy operation if the map is big # but then the index is 'complete' # query map now, should also be faster # getting rid of an index explicitly $idx->detach; # cleaning an index $idx->discard; DESCRIPTION
This index implements a generic query cache which can capture all queries not handled by more specific indices. This class inherits directly from TM::Index. INTERFACE
Constructor The constructor/destructors are the same as that described in TM::Index. Methods populate $idx->populate (@list_of_keys) To populate the index with canned results this method can be invoked. At this stage it is not very clever and may take quite some time to work its way through a larger map. This is most likely something to be done in the background. The list of keys to be passed in is a bit black magic. Your current best bet is to look at the index statistics method, and retrieve a proposed list from there: @optimized_keys = @{ $stats->{proposed_keys} }; $idx->populate (@optimized_keys[0..2]); # only take the first few If this list is empty, nothing clever will happen. statistics $hashref = $idx->statistics This returns a hash containing statistical information about certain keys, how much data is behind them, how often they are used when adding information to the index, how often data is read out successfully. The "cost" component can give you an estimated about the cost/benefit. SEE ALSO
TM, TM::Index COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 200[6] by Robert Barta, <drrho@cpan.org> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2008-04-10 TM::Index::Match(3pm)