Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Deleted /etc/passwd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleted /etc/passwd Post 25978 by cyno on Thursday 8th of August 2002 11:53:53 AM
Old 08-08-2002
Thanks for both of u. After my extenuating work with my system atlast i got my login prompt back.
take care

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/etc/passwd file been deleted

Hi Folks , Would be grateful if someone could help me out in one of the question that came to my mind . If the /etc/passwd file has been deleted and the system has been rebooted . Then i dont think that any user would be able to login and the system will be useless . Whats the best solution for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gera_sachin125
5 Replies

2. Linux

how to get passwd command again if it is deleted by usin rm command

hai friends i have deleted passwd command using rm command i thought it will come again at the time of rebooting but it is completely deleted how to get it worked again (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkata.ganesh
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Who deleted crontab?

We are using SunOS 5.10 and Korn Shell. If we need to figure out who deleted our crontab file for a particular user what do we do. Thanks in Advance!! ---------- Post updated at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:19 AM ---------- Friends, Please help.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehimadri
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Last column is getting deleted

Hi, I am having a problem in the below code:-. $ cat x.csv baseball,NULL,8798765,Most played,0,5,12367,NULL,NULL,98,67,Reason is not sufficient baseball,NULL,8928192,Most played,0,4,76893,NULL,RAW,54,78,Reason is not sufficient baseball,NULL,5678945,Most played,9,2,1,6,NULL,6789,123,Reason... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scripter12
4 Replies

5. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where do deleted mailboxes go in OS X

Just wondering -- I just deleted one of the mailboxes on my mac, and was wondering where it went. I'd like to do an srm, and thought that it would go to my deleted messages mailbox, but it isn't there (and there were some messages in them.) Can anyone tell me? The mailbox doesn't contain any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
0 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

how do i get my threads deleted?

as subject - need this done asap, in trouble (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: llcooljatt
1 Replies

8. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Passwd,shadow files deleted and abort sequence disabled

Hi all.. I moved the /etc/shadow and /etc/shadow files to /tmp and then rebooted my PARC machine running 5.10. I did it to see if I could recover from single user mode. But, I forgot to enable the abort key-sequence which I earlier disabled. Stuck! One of my gurus told I had to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted /etc/passwd file while accessing to our test server via putty

Hi I was accessing our linux test server via putty and By mistake i deleted /etc/passwd file..... It is allowing me to login..... So could anyone please help me out in this issue.... Please, it is urgent (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul547
6 Replies
sulogin(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       sulogin(1M)

NAME
sulogin - access single-user mode SYNOPSIS
sulogin DESCRIPTION
The sulogin utility is automatically invoked by init when the system is first started. It prompts the user to type the root password to enter system maintenance mode (single-user mode) or to type EOF (typically <CTRL-D>) for normal startup (multi-user mode). The user should never directly invoke sulogin. The sulogin utility can prompt the user to enter the root password on a variable number of serial console devices, in addition to the tra- ditional console device. See consadm(1M) and msglog(7D) for a description of how to configure a serial device to display the single-user login prompt. FILES
/etc/default/sulogin Default value can be set for the following flag: PASSREQ Determines if login requires a password. Default is PASSREQ=YES. /etc/default/login Default value can be set for the following flag: SLEEPTIME If present, sets the number of seconds to wait before login failure is printed to the screen and another login attempt is allowed. Default is 4 seconds. Minimum is 0 seconds. Maximum is 5 seconds. Both su(1M) and login(1) are affected by the value of SLEEPTIME. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
login(1), consadm(1M), init(1M), su(1M), attributes(5), msglog(7D) SunOS 5.10 25 Sep 2002 sulogin(1M)