Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: frecover
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers frecover Post 259 by PxT on Friday 17th of November 2000 11:18:27 AM
Old 11-17-2000
Assuming that you do have volume one mounted, here is something from the frecover man page which might help:

<I>
Care should be taken to match the names specified by the include and exclude options with the names in the index on the tape. Since the files are stored on the backup in lexographic order as defined by the LANG or LC_COLLATE environment variable, frecover uses the exact path names to determine when a partial recovery is complete, and when an earlier tape needs to be loaded. If a user's specification of a file to be recovered is misspelled, this may cause confusing messages, such as frecover asking for the previous volume, when volume one is mounted.
</I>

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

frecover

I have machine (HP-UX) 11.x and I took backup using fbackup (took 4 DDS tapes) then i did restore using frecover . the restore failed on the 4th tape . and the process killed . Can I restore only the 4th tape. or I have to do full recover from biginning ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salhoub
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

frecover on HP 11.11

Hi, Can someone please explain how I can check whether my files were backed-up to tape. I issued this command and got an error:- # frecover -I /tmp/mth -f /dev/rmt/5m frecover(2105): did not find expected file marker frecover(5409): unable to read volume header frecover(5418): not an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gummysweets
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP fbackup/frecover to SUN UNIX format?

Hi All, We have about 7 years worth of data which used the HP fbackup utility. Is there any utility to read these tapes on Solaris? The goal is to create new tapes using Legato. Do we need to download them to a box first using frecover, then copy them from SUN using Legato? Any help in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinakumar
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

frecover command need help urgent please

Hi, I have a tape fbackup done (fbackup -f /dev/rmt/0m -i / -I index.fullfbackup) and I need to restore 3 filesystems, I would like to know the correct command and options: example: I want to restore the filesystem /data1 under /data1 and /data2 under another filesystem /datatest I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

frecover problem

I had to do a recovery and restore from backup (using ignite & backups from fbackup job) on hpux 10.20. Problem is, all users (except root) receive error 'unknown user' when logging in (during script that checks quotas). They can still successfully log in to the system. However, the files... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrviking
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

frecover counterpart on linux

Hello All, The frecover command on HP UX gives information about the backed up file in the format- Magic Field: Machine Identification: System Identification:HP-UX Release Identification:B.11.11 Node Identification: User Identification: Record Size: Time: Media Use:0 Volume Number:1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamik
1 Replies
VIRECOVER(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      VIRECOVER(8)

NAME
virecover -- report recovered vi edit sessions SYNOPSIS
/usr/libexec/virecover DESCRIPTION
The virecover utility sends emails to users who have vi(1) recovery files. This email gives the name of the file that was saved for recovery and instructions for recovering most, if not all, of the changes to the file. This is done by using the -r option with vi(1). See the -r option in vi(1) for details. If the backup files have the execute bit set or are zero length, then they have not been modified, so virecover deletes them to clean up. virecover also removes recovery files that are corrupted, zero length, or do not have a corresponding backup file. virecover is normally run automatically at boot time using /etc/rc.d/virecover. FILES
/var/tmp/vi.recover/recover.* vi(1) recovery files /var/tmp/vi.recover/vi.* vi(1) editor backup files SEE ALSO
vi(1), rc.conf(5) HISTORY
This script, previously known as recover.script, is from nvi and was added to NetBSD in 1996. It was renamed in 2001. AUTHORS
This man page was written by Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>. BSD
October 9, 2006 BSD