Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: frecover
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers frecover Post 259 by PxT on Friday 17th of November 2000 11:18:27 AM
Old 11-17-2000
Assuming that you do have volume one mounted, here is something from the frecover man page which might help:

<I>
Care should be taken to match the names specified by the include and exclude options with the names in the index on the tape. Since the files are stored on the backup in lexographic order as defined by the LANG or LC_COLLATE environment variable, frecover uses the exact path names to determine when a partial recovery is complete, and when an earlier tape needs to be loaded. If a user's specification of a file to be recovered is misspelled, this may cause confusing messages, such as frecover asking for the previous volume, when volume one is mounted.
</I>

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

frecover

I have machine (HP-UX) 11.x and I took backup using fbackup (took 4 DDS tapes) then i did restore using frecover . the restore failed on the 4th tape . and the process killed . Can I restore only the 4th tape. or I have to do full recover from biginning ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salhoub
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

frecover on HP 11.11

Hi, Can someone please explain how I can check whether my files were backed-up to tape. I issued this command and got an error:- # frecover -I /tmp/mth -f /dev/rmt/5m frecover(2105): did not find expected file marker frecover(5409): unable to read volume header frecover(5418): not an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gummysweets
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP fbackup/frecover to SUN UNIX format?

Hi All, We have about 7 years worth of data which used the HP fbackup utility. Is there any utility to read these tapes on Solaris? The goal is to create new tapes using Legato. Do we need to download them to a box first using frecover, then copy them from SUN using Legato? Any help in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinakumar
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

frecover command need help urgent please

Hi, I have a tape fbackup done (fbackup -f /dev/rmt/0m -i / -I index.fullfbackup) and I need to restore 3 filesystems, I would like to know the correct command and options: example: I want to restore the filesystem /data1 under /data1 and /data2 under another filesystem /datatest I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

frecover problem

I had to do a recovery and restore from backup (using ignite & backups from fbackup job) on hpux 10.20. Problem is, all users (except root) receive error 'unknown user' when logging in (during script that checks quotas). They can still successfully log in to the system. However, the files... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrviking
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

frecover counterpart on linux

Hello All, The frecover command on HP UX gives information about the backed up file in the format- Magic Field: Machine Identification: System Identification:HP-UX Release Identification:B.11.11 Node Identification: User Identification: Record Size: Time: Media Use:0 Volume Number:1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamik
1 Replies
vgscan(1M)																vgscan(1M)

NAME
vgscan - scan physical volumes for LVM volume groups SYNOPSIS
| | | vg_names...] Remarks If the volume group input arguments belong to a combination of volume groups version 1.0 and 2.0 or higher, the arguments may not be pro- cessed in the order they are listed on the command line. DESCRIPTION
The command is used as follows: 1. Recovering and recreating the or file when the file has been deleted or does not match the current physical volumes. 2. Reporting device special file lists for unconfigured volume groups. For recovery, will add entries for volume groups that are missing from or The command recovers volume group information by using LVM data structures in kernel memory, and by probing all devices, searching for LVM disks. If one or more physical volumes in the volume group has more than 8 paths, the command will only include 8 paths per physical volume. Additional path(s) will not be added in the or file. The volume group device special file must be present for recovery to succeed. In addition, will recover a missing volume group only if it has been activated at least once since the last boot or the last import, and the Volume Group ID is unique (see the section). Unconfigured volume groups are volume groups residing on attached storage that are missing from or and have not been activated since the last boot. The command cannot recover the or entries for these volume groups. Instead, it will print out the physical volume device spe- cial files for these volume groups. Configure these volume groups using the command. See vgimport(1M). The command will not update existing volume group entries in or unless the option is used. The option can be used to overwrite existing volume group entries in or Otherwise, or should be moved before running in order for the options to take full effect. In HP-UX 11i Version 3, the Mass Storage Stack supports two naming conventions for the device special files used to identify devices (see intro(7) and lvm(7)). Devices are represented as follows: o Persistent device special files, o Legacy device special files, LVM supports the use of both conventions within the same volume group. The command provides several options for controlling the use of legacy and persistent DSFs (device special files) during the or recovery. By default, will populate or with legacy DSFs, including alternate paths. There is one exception: For activated volume groups that are using persistent DSFs, will populate or using persistent DSFs for those physical volumes. The and options allow the user to override this default behavior. Options and Arguments recognizes the following options and arguments: Scan all paths of multipathed physical volumes. The option cannot be used in conjunction with the and options and when the legacy naming model is disabled with the com- mand (see rmsf(1M)). Populate or using both persistent and legacy DSFs. Persistent DSFs will be added before legacy DSFs, so they will be used as the primary path. This option can be used to migrate a deactivated volume group using legacy DSFs to use both per- sistent and legacy DSFs. The option cannot be used in conjunction with the and options and when the legacy naming model is disabled with the command (see rmsf(1M)). For the specified volume groups, force to replace any existing entries in or with updated entries. If the volume groups are missing from or they are added. The option provides the following functions:(1) Update incorrect, existing entries for activated volume groups. For example, a volume group may have been imported with only a partial set of devices. Or, a boot volume group may have been activated with persistent DSFs, while the existing entry in or has legacy DSFs.(2) Migrate a deactivated volume group using legacy DSFs to use persistent DSFs, or vice-versa.(3) Add volume group entries to the or file in the order specified on the command line. For example, this option can be used to put the boot volume group first in the or file. With the option, will not search for additional volume groups and will not report unconfigured volume groups. Skip the disk probe portion of and retrieve volume group information only from LVM data structures in kernel memory. The disk probe portion can be a time consuming operation, so this option can be used for faster recovery of or However, with this option, only vol- ume groups currently activated are added to or For deactivated volume groups, no information is added to or The option cannot be used in conjunction with the and options. Populate or using persistent DSFs, with the following exception: If there are volume groups activated that are using legacy DSFs, then will populate or using legacy DSFs for those physical volumes. The option cannot be used in conjunction with the and options. Preview the actions that would be taken but do not update or This option is best used in conjunction with the option. As with other options, if the legacy naming model has been disabled with the command (see rmsf(1M)), the option should also be used with the option. Print verbose messages. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
1. Append entries for volume groups missing from the or file. For deactivated volume groups, use legacy DSFs, and for activated volume groups, use the DSFs that were used to activate them. Report all physical volume legacy DSFs belonging to unconfigured volume groups. Do not modify existing volume group entries in or Run without any options: 2. Recreate the or file for volume groups activated since the last boot. For deactivated volume groups, use legacy DSFs, and for activated volume groups, use the DSFs that were used to activate them. Report all physical volume legacy DSFs belonging to unconfigured volume groups. or 3. Recreate the or file for volume groups activated since the last boot. For deactivated volume groups, use persistent DSFs, and for acti- vated volume groups, use the DSFs that were used to activate them. Report all physical volume persistent DSFs belonging to unconfigured volume groups. or 4. Recreate the or file for volume groups activated since the last boot. For activated and deactivated volume groups, use both persistent and legacy DSFs. Report all physical volume persistent and legacy DSFs belonging to unconfigured volume groups. or 5. Recreate the or file for activated volume groups, using the DSFs that were used to activate them. For deactivated volume groups, no entries are added to or and no physical volume DSFs are reported. or 6. For the volume group overwrite the existing physical volume DSFs in or with the physical volume persistent DSFs found belonging to dur- ing a hardware probing of all devices. 7. For the volume group overwrite the existing physical volume DSFs in or with the physical volume DSFs used in kernel memory. The volume group must be activated, or this command will fail. 8. Recreate the or file with the volume groups and The volume group entries will be added to or in that order. For deactivated volume groups, use legacy DSFs, and for activated volume groups, use the DSFs that were used to activate them. Do not add any other volume groups. or To preview the output for any of the above examples, include the and options in the command lines. WARNINGS
The option may become obsolete in future releases. The option may become obsolete in future releases. For deactivated volume groups, cannot recover volume groups that do not have a unique Volume Group ID, that is, when two or more volume groups share the same ID. If this scenario occurs, the command must be used to assign a unique Volume Group ID for each volume group. See vgchgid(1M). After running the number and order of physical volumes in the reconstructed or file could be different than what was configured previously (even if the option is used). The results could be as follows: The designated primary and alternate paths may not be the same as was configured before. Alternate paths will be added to the or file even though they weren't initially configured in the volume group. The boot information may be incorrect, due to changed order of device special files in the new or file. Rectify the above problems as follows: Run to activate all deactivated volume groups. For shared volume groups, invoke to activate the shared volume group in exclusive mode. Invoke to remove any unwanted alternate paths which were added to the or file as a result of the invocation. For boot volume groups only, invoke to correct the boot information on the physical volumes. If the original primary path of a physical volume is now configured as an alternate, the order can be reversed by using to remove the primary path and then invoking to add it back. The command will also print the following warning messages to notify the user of the above problems: No more than 8 paths to any Physical Volume will be added to the or file. All other paths will be omitted. SEE ALSO
lvlnboot(1M), vgchange(1M), vgcreate(1M), vgextend(1M), vgexport(1M), vgimport(1M), vgreduce(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). vgscan(1M)