Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Server Error 500. Total Newbie. Ugh. Post 25863 by paqi the black on Tuesday 6th of August 2002 06:34:04 PM
Old 08-06-2002
Got the problem licked.

OK. This is embarassing. But for all you other newbies out there:

I uploaded everything in ASCII (text) format. Still got the errors.
I went through all combinatorial possibilities of chmod ### on the cgi.
Still Got the errors.

I made sure that the alias was correct. Still got the errors.

What caused the error ?

I know you're all dying to know Smilie...

The first line of the program was blank.

Duh.

The second line was my shebang #!usr/bin/perl (often #!usr/local/bin/perl).

So make sure you check that, when you're uploading a file that you've written in BBedit, notepad or just saving a file from vim, pico whatever--make sure the first line's not blank.

It will save you at least 31 hours. Of course, you'll learn a lot less if you do it right the first time.

sheepishly,

paqi

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is this the UNIX operating system board? TOTAL NEWBIE

I'm trying to find information to help me switch to UNIX os from Windows98. Is this where I should be? If so, can someone get me started? I have a Compaq Presario 5030 with a USR 56k modem and other peripherials. Sound card is integrated onto the motherboard (I think). So, I need drivers, etc. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leohutt
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total Newbie help getting sarted...

Basically i am not looking for you guys to write the script for me but help me understand how to write it and point me in the write direction. I can see what i want to do, just having trouble putting it into shell. I have a file Blah.txt with 400 DN's in it. I need to modify two attributes... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ph1ngering
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

total newbie

Hi everyone... i'm starting to learn kshell scripting... my first task is to write a script that would execute some mysql statements to query some data, to transfer it into a file for record basis... Anyone has any samples to share? or perhaps some tips here and there? Thanks in advance...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 12yearold
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

500 Internal Server Error

:)Hi, I am working on perl-cgi script which i wrote on unix server, and now i want to run it from windows. Have put DNS entry, sybase and apache is running... But still I am getting 500 Internal Server Error!!! what could be the reason? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
2 Replies

5. Web Development

weird 500 Internal server error

Hi All, I am seeking some help. While trying to access my website: EDITED (hosted on private server somewhere - don't want to publicize names) - I have a weird behaviour: I can always get to the site - but some applications get a 500 Internal error. If I use FireBug (mozilla addon) I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saariko
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the values between -500 to 500 -awk

input -200 2.4 0 2.6 30 2.8 output -500 0 -499 0 -488 0 .......... .......... .... -200 2.4 .... ... 0 2.6 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

500 internal server error

Hi, I need a quick help from GURUs of PERL. I moved a website to a new location and got an error "Internal Server Error" instead of specific error. As i don't know PERL so i don't know how to fix it. Can anybody help me to fix this error or to generate a specific error which i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shahzad79
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have this box thing, total newbie here can someone explain?

Hey guys, I'm really new to all this side of computing and have just had this box sort of left with me and it peaked my curiosity. So i would up here in a desperate bid to find out what the hell it is because although its sort of obvious what it is, no where online is able to give me a detailed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthony346
5 Replies
Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm)

NAME
Plack::App::CGIBin - cgi-bin replacement for Plack servers SYNOPSIS
use Plack::App::CGIBin; use Plack::Builder; my $app = Plack::App::CGIBin->new(root => "/path/to/cgi-bin")->to_app; builder { mount "/cgi-bin" => $app; }; # Or from the command line plackup -MPlack::App::CGIBin -e 'Plack::App::CGIBin->new(root => "/path/to/cgi-bin")->to_app' DESCRIPTION
Plack::App::CGIBin allows you to load CGI scripts from a directory and convert them into a PSGI application. This would give you the extreme easiness when you have bunch of old CGI scripts that is loaded using cgi-bin of Apache web server. HOW IT WORKS
This application checks if a given file path is a perl script and if so, uses CGI::Compile to compile a CGI script into a sub (like ModPerl::Registry) and then run it as a persistent application using CGI::Emulate::PSGI. If the given file is not a perl script, it executes the script just like a normal CGI script with fork & exec. This is like a normal web server mode and no performance benefit is achieved. The default mechanism to determine if a given file is a Perl script is as follows: o Check if the filename ends with ".pl". If yes, it is a Perl script. o Open the file and see if the shebang (first line of the file) contains the word "perl" (like "#!/usr/bin/perl"). If yes, it is a Perl script. You can customize this behavior by passing "exec_cb" callback, which takes a file path to its first argument. For example, if your perl-based CGI script uses lots of global variables and such and are not ready to run on a persistent environment, you can do: my $app = Plack::App::CGIBin->new( root => "/path/to/cgi-bin", exec_cb => sub { 1 }, )->to_app; to always force the execute option for any files. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa SEE ALSO
Plack::App::File CGI::Emulate::PSGI CGI::Compile Plack::App::WrapCGI See also Plack::App::WrapCGI if you compile one CGI script into a PSGI application without serving CGI scripts from a directory, to remove overhead of filesystem lookups, etc. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-02 Plack::App::CGIBin(3pm)