Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: frecover
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers frecover Post 257 by molonede on Friday 17th of November 2000 09:40:05 AM
Old 11-17-2000
Data

Started an frecover from Sam, with a recovery scope and a different destination.
Here is what is happening.

Starting file recovery...
frecover(5423): incorrect volume mounted;
frecover(5424): expected volume 1, and got 2
frecover(5433): Do you wish to continue using this volume? (^[yY]/^[nN]) y
frecover(5434): attempting to resynchronize after volume header

Nothing seems to be happening. I've been waiting about a half hour. No new files, and the frecover process is in sleep mode with little to no cpu usage.

Any ideas on what is going on, or what I can do to find out if it is actually working?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

frecover

I have machine (HP-UX) 11.x and I took backup using fbackup (took 4 DDS tapes) then i did restore using frecover . the restore failed on the 4th tape . and the process killed . Can I restore only the 4th tape. or I have to do full recover from biginning ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salhoub
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

frecover on HP 11.11

Hi, Can someone please explain how I can check whether my files were backed-up to tape. I issued this command and got an error:- # frecover -I /tmp/mth -f /dev/rmt/5m frecover(2105): did not find expected file marker frecover(5409): unable to read volume header frecover(5418): not an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gummysweets
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP fbackup/frecover to SUN UNIX format?

Hi All, We have about 7 years worth of data which used the HP fbackup utility. Is there any utility to read these tapes on Solaris? The goal is to create new tapes using Legato. Do we need to download them to a box first using frecover, then copy them from SUN using Legato? Any help in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinakumar
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

frecover command need help urgent please

Hi, I have a tape fbackup done (fbackup -f /dev/rmt/0m -i / -I index.fullfbackup) and I need to restore 3 filesystems, I would like to know the correct command and options: example: I want to restore the filesystem /data1 under /data1 and /data2 under another filesystem /datatest I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

frecover problem

I had to do a recovery and restore from backup (using ignite & backups from fbackup job) on hpux 10.20. Problem is, all users (except root) receive error 'unknown user' when logging in (during script that checks quotas). They can still successfully log in to the system. However, the files... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrviking
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

frecover counterpart on linux

Hello All, The frecover command on HP UX gives information about the backed up file in the format- Magic Field: Machine Identification: System Identification:HP-UX Release Identification:B.11.11 Node Identification: User Identification: Record Size: Time: Media Use:0 Volume Number:1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamik
1 Replies
backup(1M)																backup(1M)

NAME
backup - backup or archive file system SYNOPSIS
[-archive] DESCRIPTION
The command uses find(1) and cpio(1) to save a archive of all files that have been modified since the modification time of on the default tape drive should be invoked periodically to ensure adequate file backup. The option suppresses warning messages regarding optional access control list entries. backup(1M) does not backup optional access control list entries in a file's access control list (see acl(5)). Normally, a warning message is printed for each file having optional access control list entries. The option causes backup to save all files, regardless of their modification date, and then update using touch(1). prompts you to mount a new tape and continue if there is no more room on the current tape. Note that this prompting does not occur if you are running from cron(1M). The option causes to start a file system consistency check (without correction) after the backup is complete. For correct results, it is important that the system be effectively single-user while is running, especially if is allowed to automatically fix whatever inconsisten- cies it finds. does not ensure that the system is single-user. You can edit to customize it for your system. Several local values are used that can be customized: specifies which directories to back up recursively (usually meaning all directories); file name where start and finish times, block counts, and error messages are logged; file name whose date is the date of the last archive; file name that is checked by to remind the next person who logs in to change the backup tape; file name where start and finish times and output is logged. You may want to make other changes, such as whether or not does automatic correction (according to its arguments), where output is directed, other information logging, etc. In all cases, the output from is a normal archive file (or volume) which can be read using with the option. File Recovery creates archive tapes with all files and directories specified relative to the root directory. When recovering files from an archive tape created by you should be in the root directory and specify the directory path names for recovered files relative to the root directory When specifying the directory path name for file recovery by do not precede the leading directory name with a slash. If you prefer, you can also use with a option to determine how files and directories are named on the archive tape before attempting recovery. WARNINGS
Refer to in cpio(1). When runs out of tape, it sends an error to standard error and demands a new special file name from To continue, rewind the tape, mount the new tape, type the name of the new special file at the system console, and press If is being run unattended from cron(1M) and the tape runs out, terminates, leaving the process still waiting. Kill this process when you return. FILES
parameterized file names SEE ALSO
cpio(1), find(1), touch(1), cron(1M), fbackup(1M), frecover(1M), fsck(1M), acl(5). backup(1M)