Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX for beginners
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers UNIX for beginners Post 25047 by Gardeducorps on Wednesday 24th of July 2002 12:45:20 AM
Old 07-24-2002
I am also new to Unix, but I have used and installed both SCO Unix and Sun Solaris. SCO Unix is probably more Intel friendly. The newest to make waves is Linux which is growing ever popular. However there are many free versions out there on the web including Sun Solaris that you can download for free. I know this probably does not help you but I hope it is a start for understanding the easy accesability of different Unix varieties.

If you have a chance goto www.techtv.com . They reviewed some Unix systems a while back.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

X-programming for beginners

Good morning. Thanks for the very valuable hard-to-find information I get from you guys. Can anybody give any suggested websites or references for anyone who wants to begin learning on programming applications in X? Thanks to anyone in advance... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfsuminist
1 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

unix course for beginners

does anyone know of a course for unix beginners (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: moose
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Good unix "for lamers/beginners" book?

Im pretty new to unix, as you can probably tell. Anyway I want to get a book on unix and howto use it. I would like to get a book that goes from the very basics to the advanced things that unix can be used for, does anyone have any suggestions?? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadProfessor
16 Replies

4. AIX

'Best' AIX book for beginners ?

Hi, I'm starting to learn AIX and looking for some books. I found lots of IBM redbooks, but which one is 'best' for beginners ? Could someone suggest one. thank you Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

5. Programming

Beginners question about fork

Hi everyone: I'm developing a dynamic library for notifications, this library is used for a daemon that i've programmed, when something goes wrong the library should send an email to an administrator, but since sending an email is a non-vital process then it can fail (it should work as an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
4 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Which UNIX version for beginners

1. I would like to know which UNIX version I should use as a beginner and from I can get it? 2. How much hard disk space(drive space...in case of dual boot) does it require? 3. Can I run it from USB or Live CD? 4. Is there any need of installing UNIX if I have Linux... ie does Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArpitRaj
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX for beginners

i'm just a beginner in unix environment- please help which book to read and which os to use!!! :confused: seriously i've no idea what is unix or how much capable it is!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gaurav singh
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX ebook for beginners

hi all, Can you suggest me a ebook for unix beginners. I am new to unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajasingam
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Which Linux Certification comes first for beginners?

I want to get a Linux Certification to start my Career in IT sector. My Qualification is MCS from a top university. Suggest me some Linux Certifications. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexwatson1711
1 Replies
MYSQL_FIX_PRIVILE(1)					       MySQL Database System					      MYSQL_FIX_PRIVILE(1)

NAME
mysql_fix_privilege_tables - upgrade MySQL system tables SYNOPSIS
mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password=root_password DESCRIPTION
Note In MySQL 5.1.7, mysql_fix_privilege_tables was superseded by mysql_upgrade, which should be used instead. See mysql_upgrade(1). Some releases of MySQL introduce changes to the structure of the system tables in the mysql database to add new privileges or support new features. When you update to a new version of MySQL, you should update your system tables as well to make sure that their structure is up to date. Otherwise, there might be capabilities that you cannot take advantage of. mysql_fix_privilege_tables is an older script that previously was used to uprade the system tables in the mysql database after a MySQL upgrade. Before running mysql_fix_privilege_tables, make a backup of your mysql database. On Unix or Unix-like systems, update the system tables by running the mysql_fix_privilege_tables script: shell> mysql_fix_privilege_tables You must run this script while the server is running. It attempts to connect to the server running on the local host as root. If your root account requires a password, indicate the password on the command line like this: shell> mysql_fix_privilege_tables --password=root_password The mysql_fix_privilege_tables script performs any actions necessary to convert your system tables to the current format. You might see some Duplicate column name warnings as it runs; you can ignore them. After running the script, stop the server and restart it so that any changes made to the system tables take effect. On Windows systems, MySQL distributions include a mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql SQL script that you can run using the mysql client. For example, if your MySQL installation is located at C:Program FilesMySQLMySQL Server 5.1, the commands look like this: C:> cd "C:Program FilesMySQLMySQL Server 5.1" C:> binmysql -u root -p mysql mysql> SOURCE share/mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql Note Prior to version 5.1.17, the mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql script is found in the scripts directory. The mysql command will prompt you for the root password; enter it when prompted. If your installation is located in some other directory, adjust the path names appropriately. As with the Unix procedure, you might see some Duplicate column name warnings as mysql processes the statements in the mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql script; you can ignore them. After running the script, stop the server and restart it. COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2008 MySQL AB, 2008-2010 Sun Microsystems, Inc. This documentation is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it only under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License. This documentation is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with the program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA or see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/. SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MySQL Reference Manual, which may already be installed locally and which is also available online at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/. AUTHOR
Sun Microsystems, Inc. (http://www.mysql.com/). MySQL 5.1 04/06/2010 MYSQL_FIX_PRIVILE(1)