Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking two ip numbers in the same network Post 24737 by rene_metaal on Wednesday 17th of July 2002 07:36:53 AM
Old 07-17-2002
more ip nrs

OK thanks for your input.

I assumed this is not the correct way, but the current tcp/ip stacks don't seem to have a problem with it.

In early Unix versions I was told this was not correct but exactly reason and background was I don't know.
I was thinking along the line of a common broadcast address and the system was confused. But the MAC address can be faked so this might be the explanation of why it is possible today.
Cheers
R

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

seperating records with numbers from a set of numbers

I have two files one (numbers file)contains the numbers(approximately 30000) and the other file(record file) contains the records(approximately 40000)which may or may not contain the numbers from that file. I want to seperate the records which has the field 1=(any of the number from numbers... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shiv@jad
15 Replies

2. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read numbers from file and output which numbers belongs to which range

Howdy experts, We have some ranges of number which belongs to particual group as below. GroupNo StartRange EndRange Group0125 935300 935399 Group2006 935400 935476 937430 937459 Group0324 935477 935549 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace US numbers with European numbers

hey, I have a file with numbers in US notation (1,000,000.00) as well as european notation (1.000.000,00) i want all the numbers to be in european notation. the numbers are in a text file, so to prevent that the regex also changes the commas in a sentence/text i thought of: sed 's/,/\./'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FOBoy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file

Hello All, I am having problem to find what is the smallest number from 90% of highest numbers from all numbers in file. I am having file with thousands of lines and hundreds of columns. I am familiar mainly with bash but I am open to whatever suggestion witch will lead to the solutions. If I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apfik
11 Replies

6. Solaris

configure zones to have different network interface and network

i need to configure a zone to use different interface (bge2) than global and have connected to completely different network switch & to use its own defaultrouter and hosts file .. is it possible ..if so ..how ? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print numbers and associated text belonging to an interval of numbers

##### (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Decimal numbers and letters in the same collums: round numbers

Hi! I found and then adapt the code for my pipeline... awk -F"," -vOFS="," '{printf "%0.2f %0.f\n",$2,$4}' xxx > yyy I add -F"," -vOFS="," (for input and output as csv file) and I change the columns and the number of decimal... It works but I have also some problems... here my columns ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: echo manolis
7 Replies
TCPDROP(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						TCPDROP(8)

NAME
tcpdrop -- drop TCP connections SYNOPSIS
tcpdrop local-address local-port foreign-address foreign-port tcpdrop [-l] -a DESCRIPTION
The tcpdrop command may be used to drop TCP connections from the command line. If -a is specified then tcpdrop will attempt to drop all active connections. The -l flag may be given to list the tcpdrop invocation to drop all active connections one at a time. If -a is not specified then only the connection between the given local address local-address, port local-port, and the foreign address foreign-address, port foreign-port, will be dropped. Addresses and ports may be specified by name or numeric value. Both IPv4 and IPv6 address formats are supported. The addresses and ports may be separated by periods or colons instead of spaces. EXIT STATUS
The tcpdrop utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
If a connection to httpd(8) is causing congestion on a network link, one can drop the TCP session in charge: # sockstat -c | grep httpd www httpd 16525 3 tcp4 192.168.5.41:80 192.168.5.1:26747 The following command will drop the connection: # tcpdrop 192.168.5.41 80 192.168.5.1 26747 The following command will drop all connections but those to or from port 22, the port used by sshd(8): # tcpdrop -l -a | grep -vw 22 | sh SEE ALSO
netstat(1), sockstat(1) AUTHORS
Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org> Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org> BSD
January 30, 2013 BSD