Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add a comma at end of every line Post 24546 by peter.herlihy on Sunday 14th of July 2002 06:49:49 PM
Old 07-14-2002
You may be familiar with using 'vi'...in which case you can open a file using vi...manipulate as required then save the changes and you have amended the file.

You can actually do this both from the command line or using 'vi' or another editor like ed. From the command line you will have to direct output to another file and then rename the file back....this code would do it for you...

sed -e 's/$/,/g' -e '$ s/,$//' your_file > new_file && mv new_file your_file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add line numbers to end of each line

Hi i would like to add line numbers to end of each line in a file. I am able to do it in the front of each line using sed, but not able to add at the end of the file. Can anyone suggest The following code adds line number to start of each line sed = filename | sed 'N;s/\n/\t/' how can i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding comma at the end of every line

Hi all, I have this sample file (actual file is larger) and i need to add comma at the end of every line. 1234 4335 232345 1212 3535 Output 1234, 4335, 232345, 1212, 3535, TIA - jak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to add comma to end of first field

Example data Gi1/10 Gi1/12 xl32lytscb07 3/11 to nyc 3/12 41764 ecomm 3/13 hxcsxsa 2/1 3/14 ziim570-rsvd 3/15 xl3NDSADM Po1 VPC trunk to xl3-i Po2 ***DO NOT ENABLE** Po13 *** VPC link to Po101 Po102 xl3-2lyg1accsgh-fe... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Remove comma as last character in end of last line of file?

how to Remove comma as last charector in end of last line of file: example: input file --------------- aaaaaa, bbbbbb, cccc, 12345, ____________ output file : ----------- aaaaaa, bbbbbb, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RahulJoshi
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding comma to end of each line if more than 1 line

I have a file with dates as '2013-01-01' '2013-01-02' I want the output to be '2013-01-01','2013-01-02' if there is only 1 entry then there should not be any comma. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ATWC
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can we remove comma from end of each line ?

Hi, How can we remove the comma from the end of each line. I have a csv file in below format. file.csv Name,age,gender,location, Joel,18,M,Newyork, Monoj,21,M,Japan, Litu,23,M,turki, Expected o/p file1.csv Name,age,gender,location (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Litu19
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add a field separator (comma) inside a line of a CSV file

Hi... I can't find my little red AWK book and it's been a long while since I've awk'd. But I need to take a CSV file and convert the first word of the fifth field to its own field by replacing a space with a comma. This is for importing a spreadsheet of issues into JIRA... Example: a line... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tawpie
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add previous text when replacing comma with new line

Hi, I've got this output: # cat test2.txt TM1ITP1-TMNLSTP1 SLC00=0,SLC01=0,SLC02=0,SLC03=0 if I just use cat test2.txt | tr "," "\n" I'll end up very near to what I'm trying to achieve: TM1ITP1-TMNLSTP1 SLC00=0 SLC01=0 SLC02=0 SLC03=0 But how can i eventually add the term... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nms
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check line end not ending with comma

I have several line in a text file. for example I like apple; I like apple I like orange; Output: I like apple I try to useif grep -q "!\;$"; then (Not work) Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, sample output, and code segments (as required by forum rules). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmdcmd
1 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)