Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Auto indent in vi
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Auto indent in vi Post 23224 by sierra_aar on Wednesday 19th of June 2002 03:39:39 AM
Old 06-19-2002
Question Auto indent in vi

Hi,

I use vi for my text editing. Is there a way to use smart indentation?
that is when adding a '{' or '}' that the editor will jump and advance, or any other thing like that?

thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vim indent

I know this is not a unix question but I also know that many of you use vim editor every day. So hoping to get some help, here it goes: How can I change my vim config file so that the indentations while c programming take 4 spaces instead of 8? I want the change to apply any further uses of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Virtuosso
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[non-important] Indent here-docs?

I recently coded a typical ftp script looking like ftp -n $hostname << user $user $pass <commands..> quit ! I know the code fails when you try to indent it like: ftp $hostname << user $user $pass <commands..> quit ! Just for the sake of neat code, is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Indent output of an UNIX command

Hi, How do I indent 4 spaces for standard UNIX commands like ls -ltr (or grep)? For example, I want ls -ltra to output as: <<spaces here>>-rw-r----- 1 a345696 rtkdevel 455 Dec 6 14:52 file1 <<spaces here>>-rw-r----- 1 a345696 rtkdevel 455 Dec 6 14:52 file2 <<spaces... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssray23
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi auto indent whole file at once

Hi, I'm working on a big project and all the CPP and header files are in mess with respect to indentation. I would like to indent whole file(s) at once (like ctrl-shift-f in eclipse). Is there anybody who knows how to do that in vi/vim? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SaTYR
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Tabs / Indent text

Hi, i need replace the slash (/) with a newline (\n) and a tab (\t). With 'find -type f' in a folder i got this output: ./1999/01/file1 ./1999/01/file2 ./1999/02/file1 ./2000/04/file1 ./2000/04/file2 ./2000/04/file3 ./2000/04/file4 ./2000/06/file1 ./2000/06/file2 ./2000/06/file3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tonda
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to indent the file lines using vi?

Every now and then I have to indent the lines in my script to 4 space characters. I generally do it line by line. Is there an automated command in vi using which I can indent some set of lines to desired number of space characters in one go. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python indent - how do you do it?

A space, a tab? Just currious what, why, you indent in x way? Fwiw, I use vi, so kind'a currious how you vi folks approach indentation when writing code (eg python). Disclosure, I'm just learning python and have never seen a language use indentation so formally (I like it too:) ). I just... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse excel with indent

hello everyone how to parse excel file with indents ? i was trying perl and there is Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::Format but i have no idea how to make it work docs says $format->{Indent} but it's not working also i was trying xls2csv and xlhtml but they don't care about indents at all :( i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tip78
1 Replies
VIDIR(1)																  VIDIR(1)

NAME
vidir - edit directory SYNOPSIS
vidir [--verbose] [directory|file|-] ... DESCRIPTION
vidir allows editing of the contents of a directory in a text editor. If no directory is specified, the current directory is edited. When editing a directory, each item in the directory will appear on its own numbered line. These numbers are how vidir keeps track of what items are changed. Delete lines to remove files from the directory, or edit filenames to rename files. You can also switch pairs of numbers to swap filenames. Note that if "-" is specified as the directory to edit, it reads a list of filenames from stdin and displays those for editing. Alternatively, a list of files can be specified on the command line. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Verbosely display the actions taken by the program. EXAMPLES
vidir vidir *.jpeg Typical uses. find | vidir - Edit subdirectory contents too. To delete subdirectories, delete all their contents and the subdirectory itself in the editor. find -type f | vidir - Edit all files under the current directory and subdirectories. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
EDITOR Editor to use. VISUAL Also supported to determine what editor to use. AUTHOR
Copyright 2006 by Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Licensed under the GNU GPL. moreutils 2010-04-28 VIDIR(1)