Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Changing the UNIX command prompt Post 20192 by WERUreo on Monday 22nd of April 2002 11:45:27 PM
Old 04-23-2002
Thanks for the help with changing my prompt. If I wanted my prompt to stay like that every time I log in, what file would I put that line in? local.cshrc, local.profile, or local.login?

EDIT: Never mind, I was able to figure it out... Thanks again for all the help! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Unix Prompt

Me again, What is the difficulty to display the full directory Path before my prompt command ? (like DOS) I'm using Solaris 8 + Bash Thanks again Fabien (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclefab
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing the prompt

Phew simple question, I want to display the my directory path in prompt. Did the following in .profile PS1=`pwd` export PS! Worked, but it always points to HOME directory. When i do a cd, it doesn't change. What am i missing. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing Prompt in sh

I know no one has ever asked this before {not :D } but I am trying to set the prompt in the .profile under sh. I have tried everything I have seen on the web in regards to this, with no success. The OS is SCO Unixware 7.1.1, {not by my choice}. All the examples I see seem to be for ksh, which is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcc5169
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing text in the command prompt

Hi, I want to change my command prompt to contain the current username and the current directory in it, instead of just the '$' symbol. I tried the command:- export PS1="$(echo \\n$) " But whenever I switch the user or change the directory, the changes are not reflected in the command... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: unipepper
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to get the db2 command prompt in unix

Hi, When i try to connect to the db2 database from unix solaris 5.8 version by typing "db2" from the .../sqllib/bin/ folder, i am not getting the db2 command prompt. Could anyone help me resolve this? Here the db2 is executable only. But still iam not getting the db2 prompt. The error i get is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragavhere
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Changing prompt

I currently have this as my prompt when I log in (shell is sh): PS1="`hostname ` # " My question is how do I add the current directory to that prompt? Is there a way? Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Entire Input command not visible in Unix prompt

Hi, While typing the Unix command, entire command is not visible.When the input command is long, it is not visible. I want the entire command to be displayed when i type it. Please help to resolve this issue. Thanks Sampath (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampath.giri
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use Unix shell script to open Windows command prompt (cmd)

Hello, I work on Windows and I use Putty to access a remote UNIX server. I am trying to build a shell script that will have as main task to open the Windows command prompt (cmd) and run some Windows commands thereafter. The commands are actually file transfer commands that will download a file... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookie2785
14 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Can Unix access Windows' File through Command Prompt in Unix

Hi all, I wish to know whether Unix can access window's file in Unix's terminal? Apart from that, how to copy files or share files between Window and Unix? I get to know of secure copy, however, my company's Unix does not support the feature of secure copy? Any other method for me to share/... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy83
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Help needed to have changing value to the command prompt string variable PS1

Hi, I am using git bash terminal window to do git operations. I have set the prompt string variable PS1 in the ~/.bashrc file as follows: export PS1=" " This is intended to show me the current git branch's name which is active as part of the prompt string. But, the problem is when I do a git... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
RCP(1C) 																   RCP(1C)

NAME
rcp - remote file copy SYNOPSIS
rcp [ -p ] file1 file2 rcp [ -p ] [ -r ] file ... directory DESCRIPTION
Rcp copies files between machines. Each file or directory argument is either a remote file name of the form ``rhost:path'', or a local file name (containing no `:' characters, or a `/' before any `:'s). If the -r option is specified and any of the source files are directories, rcp copies each subtree rooted at that name; in this case the destination must be a directory. By default, the mode and owner of file2 are preserved if it already existed; otherwise the mode of the source file modified by the umask(2) on the destination host is used. The -p option causes rcp to attempt to preserve (duplicate) in its copies the modification times and modes of the source files, ignoring the umask. If path is not a full path name, it is interpreted relative to your login directory on rhost. A path on a remote host may be quoted (using , ", or ') so that the metacharacters are interpreted remotely. Rcp does not prompt for passwords; your current local user name must exist on rhost and allow remote command execution via rsh(1C). Rcp handles third party copies, where neither source nor target files are on the current machine. Hostnames may also take the form ``rname@rhost'' to use rname rather than the current user name on the remote host. The destination hostname may also take the form ``rhost.rname'' to support destination machines that are running 4.2BSD versions of rcp. SEE ALSO
cp(1), ftp(1C), rsh(1C), rlogin(1C) BUGS
Doesn't detect all cases where the target of a copy might be a file in cases where only a directory should be legal. Is confused by any output generated by commands in a .login, .profile, or .cshrc file on the remote host. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 12, 1986 RCP(1C)