Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mget question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers mget question Post 20101 by mikek147 on Sunday 21st of April 2002 11:00:29 AM
Old 04-21-2002
mget allows you to use wildcard characters in file names, then asks whether this file is the one you want. mget/mput is just a somewhat semi-automated way to transfer multiple files with one command. It's really no different than requesting one file at a time with get/put, no connections are disconnected/reconnected. -mk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mget

hi, i want to mget a directory. how to specify the flag that i dont want the system to prompt me? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mget and mput...

hello, i was interested in knowing if you can mget or mput a sequence of files: example- say i have a dir with 1000 files with the same extension e.g. *.sgi, is there a way to mget only the last 200 files? i would assume that there is a flag i would use, or something like: mget... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyomamma
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

mget command

Hi All, I am using mget (mget server.*) through ftp... ... i dont want to overwrite the files in my localmachine if it is already exists... is it possible through ftp ?? any other optios also mos t welcome Thnks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpio
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mget new files only

Hi all, I am currently in the process of setting up an FTP server with limited knowledge :p. I have run into an issue that i need some help with. Basically i want to be able to download files off another remote server twice a day every day but i want to make sure it only downloads new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp-mget

For the below mentioned code..Files are getting transferred from first mget statement alone ie from /home/Arun/*EF01/...Could someone help me regarding this ftp -vn <<EOD >$LOG open user lcd ascii mget /home/Arun/*EF01/GLHEC* mget /home/Arun/*EF03/GLHEC* mget... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ftp mget exclusion question

In the script I am doing a mget for multiple files. How can I exclude just one file which I do not need to ftp ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jville
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MGET Problem

Hello friends.. I'm new here ate the forum. I came across with it when trying to find a solution for a problem I have and I hope you can help me. I'm an Abap programmer, and I have to make a program in ABAP to copy files from a server to the local computer defined path using FTP commands. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bleeding_me
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If then else in with mget command

Hi Friends, I need to use if then else logic with the mget command.I need to check if {JOURNAL_CODE}*_1_Audit*.txt exists then download it (using mget)and if not then leave it.Same for the {JOURNAL_CODE}*_2_Audit*.txt file.Can you please tell me how can i achive that? sftp -b -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Param0073
3 Replies

9. AIX

mget is stuck

Hi, below are the commands I use to get many gif files from /usr/local/images directory, the command just getting stuck at mget, nothing is moving cd /usr/local/images binary mget *.gif:wall: close quit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dateez
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mget help

Hi I'm trying to get all files from a directory with a script. So i'm gone paste my script here: cd /var/www/match_demos/speedgaming/ lftp -u Gudfaren,xxxxx ftp.speedgaming.pro -e cd 89.221.243.11_27500 -e mget *.dem exit when i run that i get: "File name missed. Try `help mget' for more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vYN
2 Replies
ftp(1c) 																   ftp(1c)

Name
       ftp - file transfer program

Syntax
       ftp [-d] [[-g] -i] [-n] [-v] [host]

Description
       The  command  is the user interface to the ARPANET standard File Transfer Protocol.  The program allows you to transfer files to and from a
       remote network site.

If you specify the client host on the command line, immediately attempts to establish a connection to an FTP server on  that  host;  other-
       wise, enters its command interpreter and awaits instructions.  While is awaiting commands, it displays the prompt

Options
       -d	 Enables debugging.

-g	 Disables file name expansion.

-i	 Disables interactive prompting during multiple file transfers.

-n	 Disables  autologin during an initial connection.  If auto-login is enabled, will check the .netrc file in the user's home direc-
		 tory for an entry describing an account on the remote machine.  If no entry exists, will use the login name on the local  machine
		 as the user identity on the remote machine, prompt for a password and, optionally, an account with which to log in.

-v	 Displays all responses from the remote server as well as all data transfer statistics.

Commands
       The commands listed in this section are recognized by

Command arguments that have embedded spaces may be quoted with quotation marks (") to retain the spaces.

? [ command ]
		 A synonym for help.

!	 Invokes a shell on the local machine.

$ macro-name [ args ]
		 Executes the macro macro-name that was defined with the macdef command.  Arguments are passed to the macro unglobbed.

account [ passwd ]
		 Supplies  a  supplemental  password  required	by a remote system for access to resources once a login has been successfully com-
		 pleted.  If you do not supply a argument, you are prompted for an account password in a non-echoing input mode.

append local-file [ remote-file ]
		 Appends a local file to a file on the remote machine.	If remote-file is not specified, the local file name is used in naming the
		 remote file.  File transfer uses the current settings for type, format, mode, and structure.

ascii	 Sets the file transfer type to network ASCII.	This is the default type.

bell	 Sounds a bell after each file transfer command is completed.

binary	 Sets the file transfer type to support binary image transfer.

bye	 Terminates the FTP session with the remote server and exits

case	 Toggles the remote computer's file name case mapping during mget commands.  When case is on (the default is off), the remote com-
		 puter's file names are written in the local directory with all letters in uppercase mapped to lowercase.

cd remote-directory
		 Changes the working directory on the remote machine to remote-directory.

cdup	 Changes the remote machine working directory to the parent of the current remote machine working directory.

close	 Terminates the FTP session with the remote server and returns to the command interpreter.

cr	 Toggles the carriage return stripping during ascii type file retrieval.   Records  are  denoted  by  a  carriage  return/linefeed
		 sequence  during ascii type file transfer.  When cr is on (the default), carriage returns are stripped from this sequence to con-
		 form with the UNIX single-linefeed record delimiter.  Records on non-UNIX remote systems can contain single  linefeeds;  when	an
		 ascii type transfer is made, these linefeeds can be distinguished from a record delimiter only when cr is off.

debug [ debug-value ]
		 Toggles  the  debugging mode.	If an optional debug-value is specified, it is used to set the debugging level.  When debugging is
		 on, prints each command sent to the remote machine, preceded by the string

delete remote-file
		 Deletes the file remote-file on the remote machine.

dir [ remote-directory ] [ local-file ]
		 Prints a listing of the contents of the directory remote-directory, and optionally places the output in local-file.   If  you	do
		 not  specify  a  directory,  uses the current working directory.  If you do not specify a local file, displays the listing on the
		 terminal.

disconnect
		 A synonym for close.

form format
		 Sets the file transfer form to format.  The default format is file.

get remote-file [ local-file ]
		 Copies the remote-file to the local machine.  If you do not specify a local file name, uses the same name it has  on  the  remote
		 machine.  The current settings for type, form, mode, and structure are used while transferring the file.

glob	 Toggles  file name expansion for mdelete, mget, and mput.  If globbing (file name substitution) is turned off with glob, the file
		 name arguments are taken literally and not expanded.  Globbing for mput is done as in For mdelete and mget, each remote file name
		 is expanded separately on the remote machine and the lists are not merged.  Expansion of a directory name is likely to be differ-
		 ent from expansion of the name of an ordinary file.  The exact result depends on the remote operating system and server, and  can
		 be previewed by entering: mls remote-files.  Neither mget nor mput is meant to transfer entire directory subtrees of files.  That
		 can be done by transferring a archive of the subtree (in binary mode).

hash	 Toggles the number-sign (#) printing for each data block transferred.	The size of a data block is 1024 bytes.

lcd [ directory ]
		 Changes the working directory on the local machine.  If you do not specify a local directory directory, uses your home directory.

ls [ remote-directory ] [ local-file ]
		 Prints an abbreviated listing of the contents of the remote directory.  If remote-directory is left unspecified, uses	your  cur-
		 rent working directory.  If you do not specify a local file, the listing is displayed on the terminal.

macdef macro-name
		 Defines  a  macro.  Subsequent lines are stored as the macro macro-name; a null line (consecutive newline characters in a file or
		 carriage returns from the terminal) terminates macro input mode.  There is a limit of 16 macros and 4096 total characters in  all
		 defined macros.  Macros remain defined until a close command is executed.
		 The  macro processor interprets dollar signs ($) and backslashes () as special characters.  A dollar sign ($) followed by a num-
		 ber (or numbers) is replaced by the corresponding argument on the macro invocation command line.  A dollar sign ($)  followed	by
		 an  i	signals the macro processor that the executing macro is to be looped. On the first pass, $i is replaced by the first argu-
		 ment on the macro invocation command line.  On the second pass it is replaced by the second argument, and so on.  A backslash ()
		 followed  by  any character is replaced by that character.  Use the backslash () to prevent special treatment of the dollar sign
		 ($).

mdelete remote-files
		 Deletes the specified files on the remote machine.  If globbing (file name substitution) is enabled, the  wildcard  specification
		 of remote files is first expanded with ls.

mdir remote-files local-file
		 Obtains a directory listing of multiple files on the remote machine and places the result in local-file.

mget remote-files
		 Retrieves  the  specified  files from the remote machine and places them in the current local directory.  If globbing is enabled,
		 the specification of remote files is first expanding with

mkdir directory-name
		 Makes a directory on the remote machine.

mls remote-files local-file
		 Obtains an abbreviated listing of multiple files on the remote machine and places the result in local-file.

mode [ mode-name ]
		 Sets the file transfer mode to mode-name.  The default mode is the stream mode.

mput local-files
		 Transfers multiple local files from the current local directory to the current working directory on the remote machine.

nmap [ inpattern outpattern ]
		 Sets or disables the file name mapping mechanism.  If no arguments are specified, the file name mapping  mechanism  is  disabled.
		 If  arguments	are specified, remote file names are mapped during mput commands and put commands that are issued without a speci-
		 fied remote target file name.	If arguments are specified, local file names are mapped during mget commands and get commands that
		 are issued without a specified local target file name.
		 This  command	is  useful when connecting to a non-UNIX remote computer with different file naming conventions or practices.  The
		 mapping follows the pattern set by inpattern and outpattern.

The inpattern is a template for incoming file names (which may have already been processed according to the ntrans and case  set-
		 tings).  Specify variable templates by including the sequences $1, $2, ..., $9 in inpattern.  Use a backslash () to prevent this
		 special treatment of the dollar sign ($) character.  All other characters are treated literally, and are used	to  determine  the
		 nmap  inpattern  variable  values.   For  example, given inpattern $1.$2 and the remote file name $1 has the value and $2 has the
		 value

The outpattern determines the resulting mapped file name.  The sequences $1, $2, ...., $9 are replaced  by  any  value  resulting
		 from  the  inpattern  template.  The sequence $0 is replace by the original file name.  Additionally, the sequence [seq1,seq2] is
		 replaced by seq1 if seq1 is not a null string; otherwise it is replaced by seq2.  For example, the command yields the output file
		 name for input file names and for the input file name and for the input file name .myfile.  Spaces can be included in outpattern,
		 as in the example: Use the backslash () to prevent special treatment of the dollar sign ($), left  bracket  ([),  right  bracket
		 (]), and comma (,).

ntrans [ inchars [ outchars ] ]
		 Sets  or disables the file name character translation mechanism.  If no arguments are specified, the file name character transla-
		 tion mechanism is disabled.  If arguments are specified, characters in remote file names are translated during mput commands  and
		 put  commands	that are issued without a specified remote target file name.  If arguments are specified, characters in local file
		 names are translated during mget commands and get commands that are issued without a specified local target file name.
		 This command is useful when connecting to a non-UNIX remote computer with different file naming conventions or practices.   Char-
		 acters  in a file name matching a character in inchars are replaced with the corresponding character in outchars.  If the charac-
		 ter's position in inchars is longer than the length of outchars, the character is deleted from the file name.

open host [ port ]
		 Establishes a connection to the specified host server.  If an optional port number is supplied, attempts to contact an server	at
		 that  port.   If  the	auto-login  option  is	on (the default), automatically attempts to log the user in to the server (see the
		 description of the .netrc file).

prompt	 Toggles interactive prompting.  Interactive prompting occurs during multiple file transfers to allow  the  user  to  retrieve	or
		 store files selectively.  If prompting is turned off (the default), any mget or mput transfers all files.

proxy ftp-command
		 Executes  an  command	on  a secondary control connection.  This command allows simultaneous connection to two remote servers for
		 transferring files between the two servers.  The first proxy command should be an open, to establish the secondary  control  con-
		 nection.   Type  the command to see other commands executable on the secondary connection.  The following commands behave differ-
		 ently when prefaced by proxy:

open does not define new macros during the auto-login process.

close does not erase existing macro definitions.

get and mget transfer files from the host on the primary control connection to the host on the secondary control connection.

put, mput, and append transfer files from the host on the secondary control connection to the host on the primary control connec-
		 tion.	Third-party file transfers depend upon support of the FTP PASV command by the server on the secondary control connection.

put local-file [ remote-file ]
		 Copies  a  local file to the remote machine.  If you do not specify a remote-file, the local file name is used to name the remote
		 file.	File transfer uses the current settings for type, format, mode, and structure.

pwd	 Prints the name of the current working directory on the remote machine.

quit	 A synonym for bye.

quote arg1 arg2 ...
		 Sends the arguments that are specified, verbatim, to the remote server.  A single FTP reply code is expected in return.

recv remote-file [ local-file ]
		 A synonym for get.

remotehelp [ command-name ]
		 Requests help from the remote server.	If a command name is specified, it is supplied to the server as well.

rename [ from ] [ to ]
		 Renames the file from on the remote machine to the file to.

reset	 Clears the reply queue.  This command resynchronizes command/reply sequencing with the remote server.	If the remote server  vio-
		 lates FTP, resynchronization may be necessary.

rmdir directory-name
		 Deletes a directory on the remote machine.

runique	 Toggles  storing  of  files on the local system with unique file names.  If a file already exists with a name equal to the target
		 local file name for a get or mget command, a .1 is appended to the name.  If the resulting name matches another existing file,  a
		 .2 is appended to the original name.  If this process continues up to .99, an error message is printed, and the transfer does not
		 take place.  The generated unique file name will be reported.	Note that runique will not affect local  files	generated  from  a
		 shell command (see below).  The default value is off.

send local-file [ remote-file ]
		 A synonym for put.

sendport  Toggles the use of PORT commands.  By default, attempts to use a PORT command when establishing a connection for each data trans-
		 fer.  If the PORT command fails, uses the default data port.  When the use of PORT commands is disabled, no attempt  is  made	to
		 use  PORT  commands  for  each  data  transfer.  This is useful for certain FTP implementations that do ignore PORT commands but,
		 incorrectly, indicate that the commands have been accepted.

status	 Shows the current status of

struct [ struct-name ]
		 Sets the file transfer structure to struct-name.  By default the file structure is used.

sunique	 Toggles storing of files on a remote machine under unique file names.	The remote server must support the FTP	STOU  command  for
		 successful completion of this command.  The remote server reports the unique name.  The default value is off.

tenex	 Sets the file transfer type to that needed to talk to TENEX machines.

trace	 Toggles packet tracing.

type [ type-name ]
		 Sets  the  file  transfer  type to type-name.	If no type is specified, the current type is printed.  The default type is network
		 ASCII.

user user-name [ password ] [ account ]
		 Identifies you to the remote server.  If the password is not specified and the server requires it, disables the  local  echo  and
		 then prompts you for it.  If an account field is not specified, and the server requires it, you are prompted for it also.  Unless
		 is invoked with auto-login disabled, this process is done automatically on initial connection to the server.

verbose	 Toggles the verbose mode.  In verbose mode, all responses from the server are displayed.  In addition, if verbose is on,  statis-
		 tics regarding the efficiency of a file transfer are reported when the transfer is complete.  By default, verbose is on.

Aborting a File Transfer
       To  abort a file transfer, use the terminal interrupt key (usually CTRL/C).  Sending transfers are halted immediately.  Receiving transfers
       are halted by sending an FTP ABOR command to the remote server, and discarding any further data received.   The	speed  at  which  this	is
       accomplished depends on the remote server's support for ABOR processing.  If the remote server does not support the ABOR command, an prompt
       appears when the remote server has completed sending the requested file.

The terminal interrupt key sequence is ignored when has completed any local processing and is awaiting a reply from the remote  server.	 A
       long delay in this mode may result from ABOR processing, or from unexpected behavior by the remote server, including violations of the FTP.
       If the delay results from unexpected remote server behavior, the local program must be killed by hand.

File-Naming Conventions
       Files specified as arguments to commands are processed according to the following rules:

1)  Standard input is used for reading and standard output is used for writing when the file name is specified as a minus sign (-).

2)  If the first character of the file name is a vertical bar (|), the remainder of the argument is interpreted as a  shell  command.   The
	   command  then forks a shell, using with the argument supplied, and reads or writes from standard output or standard input respectively.
	   If the shell command includes spaces, the argument must be quoted, as in "|ls -lt".	A particularly useful example  of  this  mechanism
	   is: "dir |more".

3)  If  globbing  is  enabled,  local  file names are expanded according to the rules used in the (compare to the command).  If the command
	   expects a single local file, such as put, only the first file name generated by the globbing operation is used.

4)  For mget commands and get commands with unspecified local file names, the local file name is the remote file name and can be altered by
	   a case, ntrans, or nmap setting.  The resulting file name may then be altered if runique is on.

5)  For	mput  commands and put commands with unspecified remote file names, the remote file name is the local file name and can be altered
	   by a ntrans or nmap setting.  The resulting file name can then be altered by the remote server if sunique is on.

File Transfer Parameters
       Many parameters can affect a file transfer.  The type can be ascii, image (binary), ebcdic, or local byte size.	The command  supports  the
       ascii
	and image types of file transfer and local byte size 8 for tenex mode transfers.

The command supports only the default values for the remaining file transfer parameters: mode, form, and struct.

The .netrc File
       The  .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process.  It resides in your home directory.  See for
       a description and example of a .netrc file.  The following tokens in the .netrc file are recognized; they can be separated by spaces, tabs,
       or new-lines:

machine name
		 Identifies  a	remote	machine name.  The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote
		 machine specified on the command line or as an open command argument.	Once a match is made, the  subsequent  .netrc  tokens  are
		 processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine token is encountered.

login name
		 Identifies  a user on the remote machine.  If this token is present, the auto-login process initiates a login using the specified
		 name.

password string
		 Supplies a password.  If this token is present, the auto-login process  supplies  the	specified  string  if  the  remote  server
		 requires  a  password	as part of the login process.  Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file, and if the .netrc is
		 readable by anyone other than the user, aborts the auto-login process.

account string
		 Supplies an additional account password.  When this token is present, the auto-login process supplies the the remote server  with
		 an  additional  account password if the remote server requires it.  If it does not, the auto-login process initiates an ACCT com-
		 mand.

macdef name
		 Defines a macro.  This token functions like the macdef command.  A macro is defined with a specified  name;  its  contents  begin
		 with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered.  If a macro named init
		 is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process.

Restrictions
       Correct execution of many commands depends on proper behavior by the remote server.

The server prevents the unauthorized users listed in the file from transferring files.

An error in the treatment of carriage returns in the 4.2BSD UNIX asciitype transfer code has been corrected.  This correction may result in
       incorrect transfers of binary files to and from 4.2BSD servers using the ascii type.  Avoid this problem by using the binary image type.

Files
       Contains the list of unauthorized users

See Also
       netrc(5), services(5), ftpd(8c), inetd(8c), syslog(8)

ftp(1c)