Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setuid
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users setuid Post 19704 by Neo on Monday 15th of April 2002 05:59:15 PM
Old 04-15-2002
One suggestion is to fork() and perhaps exec() a process with the UID you want. Then have the new process make the system call with the UID you gave it.......

You can't change the UID of a running process..... but you can fork new processes and give UIDs to the new processes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using setuid and setgid

Hi, I have been looking at setuid and setgid. I understand that setuid determines who owns the file and setgid determines which group of people can access the file... yeah?! But i need to know how to actually use setuid and setgid. I'm guessing chmod will feature somewhere.. Any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crispy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cc, setuid, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Hi, This question deals with Solaris 2.8 and setuid programs. From research I've done so far, setuid programs ignore LD_LIBRARY_PATH; I've proven this and am OK with it. The thing I am not certain of how the C compiler is supposed to behave when it is invoked via a setuid program. Basically,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: WolfBoy
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setuid

could u plz give me clear idea of spcial permissions setuid,getuid and striky bit . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prem
1 Replies

4. Solaris

setuid and guid

Hi All, Can someone give me some info about setuid or guid topic? Also about sticky bit. Thanks in advance, itik (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
9 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

find setuid files

I would like to list files with setuid and setgid set up. I used the find command, but I got a lot of permission denied error. I tried to redirect the error to the hole it does not work. I used the command string below find . -type f \( -perm -4000 -o -perm -2000 \) -exec ls {} \; 2>/dev/null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

6. AIX

sudo must be setuid root.

Guy's I'm trying to add some lines in sudo by useing this command visudo # User privilege specification root ALL=(ALL) ALL # Uncomment to allow people in group wheel to run all commands # %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL # Same thing without a password # %wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
5 Replies

7. HP-UX

Disable Setuid in HP-UX

Hi All, How to prevent root user from doing setuid(). In otherwords, if the root(any user) is trying to do setuid in a program it should fail. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guru13
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Need help with setuid.

Hi Gurus, I need your suggestions,to implement setuid. Here is the situation. I have a user xyz on a solaris zone.He needs to install a package using a pkgadd command but i guess only a root can run that .Is there any way I can set the setuid bit on the pkgadd which is in the location... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What keeps me from abusing setuid(0) and programs with setuid bit set?

Just learning about the privilege escalation method provided by setuid. Correct me if I am wrong but what it does is change the uid of the current process to whatever uid I set. Right ? So what stops me from writing my own C program and calling setuid(0) within it and gaining root privileges ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreyan32
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setuid usage

I'm trying - as an ordinary user - to create a file in the root directory of my system. For that purpose I wrote a simple script that echoes a string into a file. I made the file executable, used sudo to change ownership to root. Like this: $ cat hello #!/bin/bash echo hello > /hello $... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
5 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)