Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcards In UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Wildcards In UNIX Post 18967 by Long John Slive on Thursday 4th of April 2002 01:36:02 PM
Old 04-04-2002
Data More on wildcards - help?

Greetings Peeps Smilie

I'm sure there was a wildcard syntax, being as *nix tends to be case-sensitive when matching filenames, that enabled the following to be matched

*.mp3 *.MP3 *.Mp3 and *.mP3

using a single, 'wildcard' pattern-match something like:

ls *.[Mm][Pp]3

... obviously this doesn't work (else I wouldn't be posing the question) - where is my syntax wrong?

Smilie LJS Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Makefile wildcards

Using a makefile I want to compile all .c files in the current directory without specifying them directly and then link their associated .o files into a library. How do I do this ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcscott
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls - wildcards and global use

Hiya, I want to list all files missing a certain pattern and/or filename pattern on the entire drive. In DOS I would type (for instance): dir \t*.doc /s /a which should find all doc files whose filename starts with `t'. How do I do that in a unix shell? Can it be done w/ ls at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards in path

Is there some rule about using wildcards in path? Say I want to create a file, but one of the directories in the path is called 1433d.default and on different machines it will be called <some other string>.default touch ~/Library/Application/*.default/myfile In theory I thought that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards and exceptions

Hello: I have a very basic question. I'd like to select all files except for one file. For example, say I want to move all of the files in my current directory to a subdirectory called archive, I would use mv ./* archive/ But what if I want to move all files except for README.txt? Is there an... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny.Boy
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming with wildcards

Hi, I'm new to Unix, but have a directory which has many files in it, well over 1000. The files are called : M07GO.STOPE0001 M07GO.STOPE0002 M07GO.STOPE0003 M07GO.STOPE0004 etc... I would like to rename them to the following : M070001.bin M070002.bin M070003.bin M070004.bin etc....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnmuk
4 Replies
AnyData::Format::Mp3(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 AnyData::Format::Mp3(3pm)

NAME
AnyData::Format::Mp3 - tied hash and DBI access to Mp3 files SYNOPSIS
use AnyData; my $playlist = adTie( 'Passwd', ['c:/My Music/'] ); while (my $song = each %$playlist){ print $song->{artist} if $song->{genre} eq 'Reggae' } OR use DBI my $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:AnyData:'); $dbh->func('playlist','Mp3,['c:/My Music'],'ad_catalog'); my $playlist = $dbh->selectall_arrayref( qq{ SELECT artist, title FROM playlist WHERE genre = 'Reggae' }); # ... other DBI/SQL operations DESCRIPTION
This module provides a tied hash interface and a DBI/SQL interface to MP files. It creates an in-memory database or hash from the Mp3 files themselves without actually creating a separate database file. This means that the database is automatically updated just by moving files in or out of the directories. Many mp3 (mpeg three) music files contain a header describing the song name, artist, and other information about the music. Simply choose 'Mp3' as the format and give a reference to an array of directories containing mp3 files. Each file in those directories will become a record containing the fields: song artist album year genre filename filesize This module is a submodule of the AnyData.pm and DBD::AnyData.pm modules. Refer to their documentation for further details. AUTHOR &; COPYRIGHT copyright 2000, Jeff Zucker <jeff@vpservices.com> all rights reserved perl v5.10.1 2004-08-17 AnyData::Format::Mp3(3pm)