Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to check if the file exist or not? Post 18316 by gusla on Wednesday 27th of March 2002 01:55:25 AM
Old 03-27-2002
Data how to check if the file exist or not?

say i would like to check if the file is existed before i use rm command. How can i do it?

i know if i can use find, but i would like to have a good interface (in a shell script)

thks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++

Hi there,, how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++ under unix/linux? I can use access() under Window MFC. Thanks. Steven (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: steven88
1 Replies

2. Programming

how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++

Hi there, how to check if directory/file exist using c/c++ under linux/unix. Thanks. Steven (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven88
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check Word if exist on file or not

Hello, I want to check if some word exist or not on some file By Example : word is : nixcraft file called : /root/shell.txt and i want to check if nixcraft word exist on /root/shell.txt file with if statement or another tool Any Ideas (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinuxCommandos
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file exist

Hi Does anybody know how I can check if a file exists i.e. see bellow, this doesn't work by the way and if tried countless variations on this file1=$one/file111.txt if then echo "Present" else echo "Not present" fi result : Not present (file is already present, eventhough its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check file exist issue

I have created two scripts, one with hardcoded and another one with extract from file instead of hardcoded, script:1 -------- #!/bin/ksh filename="$one/file1.dat" if then echo "$filename has arrived." >> $logfile else echo "$filename has NOT yet arrived." >> $logfile fi :> Result:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file exist

Hi, I am trying to create a bash script which will check if file exist then remove that file else do nothing. I have to do same process for three files in same script. I have written code for one file and trying to run it. if then rm -r /user1/abc/File1 fi When I run this code it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: palak08
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file exist

Hi, I created following script to check if file exist: #!/bin/bash SrcDir=$1 SrcFileName=$2 SrcTimePeriod=$3 if ;then echo 1 else echo 0 fi I ran it like: /apps/Scripts/FileExist.sh /apps/Inbox file1 2nd_period_2010 Even file exist at that location, my above command is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palak08
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check file exist in a directory or not

HI folks, can any one tell me how to check whether the file is existed in a directory or not . let me tell you my requirement : if the file is existed i should display a one message or else i have to send a mail .. i have the mail logic .. but I'm failed to check file existence .. please... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravan008
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

check file exist before execution

Hi , I have a scripts which run at every 1 min and do some job. this scripts look for the file in the directory and move in the other directory. I want to write a line which forst check if the *.LOG file exist in the directory if *.LOG exist then do for i in *.LOG load ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for a file and touch if not exist

Hi, I've a situation where i need to check for the file existence and create a zero byte file based on the parameter,in some cases i need to touch and in some case i dont need to touch with zero byte file please help me on parameterizing this touch command?? Regards. San (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep karna
2 Replies
MKMANIFEST(1)						      General Commands Manual						     MKMANIFEST(1)

NAME
mkmanifest - create a shell script to restore Unix filenames SYNOPSIS
mkmanifest [ files ] DESCRIPTION
Mkmanifest creates a shell script that will aid in the restoration of Unix filenames that got clobbered by the MSDOS filename restrictions. MSDOS filenames are restricted to 8 character names, 3 character extensions, upper case only, no device names, and no illegal characters. The mkmanifest program is compatible with the methods used in pcomm, arc, and mtools to change perfectly good Unix filenames to fit the MSDOS restrictions. EXAMPLE
I want to copy the following Unix files to a MSDOS diskette (using the mcopy command). very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital Mcopy will convert the names to: very_lon 2xmany.dot illegalx good.c xprn.dev capital The command: mkmanifest very_long_name 2.many.dots illegal: good.c prn.dev Capital > manifest would produce the following: mv very_lon very_long_name mv 2xmany.dot 2.many.dots mv illegalx illegal: mv xprn.dev prn.dev mv capital Capital Notice that "good.c" did not require any conversion, so it did not appear in the output. Suppose I've copied these files from the diskette to another Unix system, and I now want the files back to their original names. If the file "manifest" (the output captured above) was sent along with those files, it could be used to convert the filenames. SEE ALSO
arc(1), pcomm(1), mtools(1) local MKMANIFEST(1)