Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find All Primary and Secondary Group ID's for a user Post 18314 by sanjay92 on Wednesday 27th of March 2002 01:35:06 AM
Old 03-27-2002
Bug

Thanks !
I always looked in the default id command and I did not look in the options.
This will work for me.

Sanjay

Quote:
Originally posted by killerserv
Have you try the id command ?

id [-gnruG] [--group] [--name] [--real] [--user] [--groups] [--help] [--version] [username]

By default, it prints the real user ID, real group ID, effective user ID if different from the real user ID, effective group ID if dif ferent from the real group ID, and supplemental group IDs. It prints each of these values preceded by a string identifying it and followed by the corresponding user or group name in parentheses. Post back if this doesnt help..
sanjay92

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

primary-secondary sync problem

hi guys, i am new to this DNS business and i'm having a problem. the setup is bind 9.2.3 is installed on a sun solaris 8 server and is the primary DNS. men and mice suite is installed on another sun solaris 8 and that is our secondary DNS server. problem is recently the secondary DNS stopped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbannout
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Synchronizing primary and secondary name servers

Hello All, Does some one know how to synchronize the primary name server with the secondary without knowing the domains on which synchronization failed. I have just done /usr/sbin/ndc reload Alternatively how do i find out the domains on which synchronization failed? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2z1982
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

List ALL users in a Unix Group (Primary and Secondary)

Is there a command or better combination of cmds that will give me the list of Unix users in a particular Unix group whether their primary group is that group in question (information stored in /etc/passwd) or they are in a secondary group (information stored in /etc/group). So far all I got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

4. Linux

Secondary linux dist WITHIN primary one

Hi New here so forgive my ignorance and inability to express myself in an informative manner ;) I have a Fedora distribution installed on my development computer. The system we build is meant to run on a slackware dist which is all fine and well. But due to our flow of deployment I would have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquam
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

primary group for user

HI I need to know what is the primary group name of a particular user. How to do this ? Maybe with groups cmd ? (first group name in line, is the primary group) thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to find Primary & Secondary VIOS?

Hi, In a Dual VIOSs setup having 4 SEA adapters each, how to find which one is Primary and Secondary.? Regards, Siva (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to find Secondary Group only?

Hi, I would like to know how to find our secondary group of user only. I have used the command id -Gn user1 it is showing both groups of user. Primary and secondary group. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS Primary and Secondary

hi there, i using salaris 10 as my DNS server. i have 2 dns server primary and secondary. if primary dns server i edit/update, the other secondary dns server must be sync too. How can i configure if dns server (primary) can sync the secondary? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tappetmus
1 Replies

9. Linux

Openldap add user to secondary group

Hello, i try to add user john to secondary group, named groupB this will add as primary group, how can i add to secondary group?? dn: cn=groupB,ou=Groups,dc=ldap-server,dc=com changetype: modify add: memberuid memberuid: john (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a secondary group from user (Linux)

Oracle Linux 6.6 grid user's secondary groups are asmadmin,asmdba,asmoper and dba # id -a grid uid=638(grid) gid=2000(oinstall) groups=2000(oinstall),2100(asmadmin),2200(dba),2300(asmdba),2301(asmoper) I want to remove dba as the secondary group for grid and keep the remaining ones. ie. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies
id(1)							      General Commands Manual							     id(1)

Name
       id - print user and group ID and names

Syntax
       id [ -gnru ]

Description
       The  command  writes a message on the standard output giving the user and group ID and the corresponding names of the invoking process.	If
       the effective and real IDs do not match, both are printed.

If multiple groups are supported by the underlying system, the supplementary group affiliations of the invoking process are also written.

When no options are specified, the standard format of output produced by is uid=%d(%s) gid=%d(%s), <real user id>, <user-name>, <real group
       id>, <group-name>

Options
       -g     Outputs only the group ID. The default format is %d
.  This may be modified by the -n option. The default group ID is the effective
	      group ID; this may be modified by the -r option.

-n     Outputs the name in the format %s
 instead of the numeric ID when the -u or -g options are used.

-r     Outputs the real ID instead of the effective ID when the -u or -g options are used.  There is no option to produce a list of supple-
	      mentary group IDs alone.

-u     Outputs  only  the user ID. The default output format is %d0fP.  This may be modified with the -n option. The default user ID is the
	      effective user ID; this may be modified by the -r option.

See Also
       logname(1), getuid(2)

id(1)