Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to find All Primary and Secondary Group ID's for a user Post 18313 by killerserv on Wednesday 27th of March 2002 12:51:57 AM
Old 03-27-2002
Have you try the id command ?

id [-gnruG] [--group] [--name] [--real] [--user] [--groups] [--help] [--version] [username]

By default, it prints the real user ID, real group ID, effective user ID if different from the real user ID, effective group ID if dif ferent from the real group ID, and supplemental group IDs. It prints each of these values preceded by a string identifying it and followed by the corresponding user or group name in parentheses. Post back if this doesnt help..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

primary-secondary sync problem

hi guys, i am new to this DNS business and i'm having a problem. the setup is bind 9.2.3 is installed on a sun solaris 8 server and is the primary DNS. men and mice suite is installed on another sun solaris 8 and that is our secondary DNS server. problem is recently the secondary DNS stopped... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbannout
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Synchronizing primary and secondary name servers

Hello All, Does some one know how to synchronize the primary name server with the secondary without knowing the domains on which synchronization failed. I have just done /usr/sbin/ndc reload Alternatively how do i find out the domains on which synchronization failed? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2z1982
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

List ALL users in a Unix Group (Primary and Secondary)

Is there a command or better combination of cmds that will give me the list of Unix users in a particular Unix group whether their primary group is that group in question (information stored in /etc/passwd) or they are in a secondary group (information stored in /etc/group). So far all I got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

4. Linux

Secondary linux dist WITHIN primary one

Hi New here so forgive my ignorance and inability to express myself in an informative manner ;) I have a Fedora distribution installed on my development computer. The system we build is meant to run on a slackware dist which is all fine and well. But due to our flow of deployment I would have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquam
2 Replies

5. Ubuntu

primary group for user

HI I need to know what is the primary group name of a particular user. How to do this ? Maybe with groups cmd ? (first group name in line, is the primary group) thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to find Primary & Secondary VIOS?

Hi, In a Dual VIOSs setup having 4 SEA adapters each, how to find which one is Primary and Secondary.? Regards, Siva (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksgnathan
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to find Secondary Group only?

Hi, I would like to know how to find our secondary group of user only. I have used the command id -Gn user1 it is showing both groups of user. Primary and secondary group. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

8. Solaris

DNS Primary and Secondary

hi there, i using salaris 10 as my DNS server. i have 2 dns server primary and secondary. if primary dns server i edit/update, the other secondary dns server must be sync too. How can i configure if dns server (primary) can sync the secondary? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tappetmus
1 Replies

9. Linux

Openldap add user to secondary group

Hello, i try to add user john to secondary group, named groupB this will add as primary group, how can i add to secondary group?? dn: cn=groupB,ou=Groups,dc=ldap-server,dc=com changetype: modify add: memberuid memberuid: john (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove a secondary group from user (Linux)

Oracle Linux 6.6 grid user's secondary groups are asmadmin,asmdba,asmoper and dba # id -a grid uid=638(grid) gid=2000(oinstall) groups=2000(oinstall),2100(asmadmin),2200(dba),2300(asmdba),2301(asmoper) I want to remove dba as the secondary group for grid and keep the remaining ones. ie. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies
ID(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     ID(1)

NAME
id -- return user identity SYNOPSIS
id [user] id -G [-n] [user] id -g [-nr] [user] id -p [user] id -u [-nr] [user] DESCRIPTION
The id utility displays the user and group names and numeric IDs, of the calling process, to the standard output. If the real and effective IDs are different, both are displayed, otherwise only the real ID is displayed. If a user (login name or user ID) is specified, the user and group IDs of that user are displayed. In this case, the real and effective IDs are assumed to be the same. The options are as follows: -G Display the different group IDs (effective, real and supplementary) as white-space separated numbers, in no particular order. -g Display the effective group ID as a number. -n Display the name of the user or group ID for the -G, -g and -u options instead of the number. If any of the ID numbers cannot be mapped into names, the number will be displayed as usual. -p Make the output human-readable. If the user name returned by getlogin(2) is different from the login name referenced by the user ID, the name returned by getlogin(2) is displayed, preceded by the keyword ``login''. The user ID as a name is displayed, preceded by the keyword ``uid''. If the effective user ID is different from the real user ID, the real user ID is displayed as a name, preceded by the keyword ``euid''. If the effective group ID is different from the real group ID, the real group ID is displayed as a name, preceded by the keyword ``rgid''. The list of groups to which the user belongs is then displayed as names, preceded by the keyword ``groups''. Each display is on a separate line. -r Display the real ID for the -g and -u options instead of the effective ID. -u Display the effective user ID as a number. The id utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
who(1) STANDARDS
The id function is expected to conform to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
The historic groups(1) command is equivalent to ``id -Gn [user]''. The historic whoami(1) command is equivalent to ``id -un''. The id command first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
May 5, 1994 BSD