Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: The OSI-model
Special Forums IP Networking The OSI-model Post 17863 by thomas.jones on Wednesday 20th of March 2002 07:38:06 PM
Old 03-20-2002
You are partially correct! The data does traverse down the OSI model on the source node.......across the network medium.......to the destination node....and back up the OSI model.

BUT, transmissions do not have to actually start at the application level. Have you ever heard of two or three tier routers? They only use part of the OSI model.....hence two or three layers are transmitted....not all 7.

It goes like this:

Data to be sent in this datagram = XXXXXXXXXX

Layer 7 puts on application specific headers:

AAXXXXXXXXXXA

Then Layer 6 for presentation:

PPAAXXXXXXXXXXAP

Then Layer 5 does the same on a session basis:

SSPPAAXXXXXXXXXXAPS

Layer 4 for transport portion:

TTSSPPAAXXXXXXXXXXAPST

Layer 3 goes next:

NNTTSSPPAAXXXXXXXXXXAPSTN

Layer 2 puts on the Data Link layer stuff:

DDNNTTSSPPAAXXXXXXXXXXAPSTND

The finally the Physical layer:

PPDDNNTTSSPPAAXXXXXXXXXXAPSTNDP

This is then transmitted. At the destination...each layer strips the corresponding layer and sends it up to the next layer....etc.

This is very basic...it's more complex than this tutorial...each layer does not have the same size of headers...and such...but this gets the idea across.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

What are the 7 layers of OSI model or TCP/IP

what is it?? I looked everywhere but cant seem to find it also where can I get information about the difference between NFS 2 or NFS 3?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
6 Replies

2. Solaris

OSI 9.0 Installation

Dear After i received a demo license for OSI 9.0 from SUN , i installed the packages . but when i tried to start the osinet deamon ( /etc/rc2.d/S90osinet ) i am getting the foellowing errror # ./S90osinet start starting osi daemon/usr/sbin/osinetd cannot find a valid license (STACK 9.0)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsgeorge
4 Replies

3. Solaris

OSI 9.0 Installation some question

Hi. I get the folloing message if i try to start the osinet deamon: # /etc/rc2.d/S90osinet start starting osi daemonunable to unload all the osi modules some OSI applications may be running unable to start OSI daemon # Has anyone an idea what is going wrong? Answers to mail: (Note... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morenqfj
1 Replies

4. Solaris

OSI interface...

I'm using OSI version 9.0 with solaries OS , I 'm thinking of analysing the tracing while sending information through OSI layers , I want to analyze exactly the BER data ? Any one could provide an examples , I know the command for tracing these information but i need to understand the bytes travels... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atiato
1 Replies

5. Debian

OSI application for Debian...

Is there OSI telecom application which can be installed on debian similar to Solstice Solaries OSI ? I need to get it on debian to build cmise and communicate with Network element . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

OSI model, communication between same layers but on different machines

Hi friends, I hope everyone is doing fine. I have this confusion regarding the OSI model. I have been reading a book on datacommunication and networking which discusses the OSI model in great detail. One thing that I can't figure out is the OSI daigram in this book. It shows communication between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gabam
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Unable to start OSI deamon

dear all, i am working on test server with solaris 10 , after installing OSI deamon i stopped it for a test now when i am starting again i am getting this message that i ggoled and search evrywhere and haven't any response i will be glade for any help in here mate the error was : ./osinet... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: semaan
1 Replies
Jifty::Plugin::ClassLoader(3pm) 			User Contributed Perl Documentation			   Jifty::Plugin::ClassLoader(3pm)

NAME
Jifty::Plugin::ClassLoader - Automatically generates application classes DESCRIPTION
"Jifty::Plugin::ClassLoader" loads additional model and action classes on behalf of the application out of the configured plugin classes. Unlike, "Jifty::ClassLoader", this class will only autogenerate classes if the plugin provides them. The plugin classes are checked before the base Jifty classes, so that a plugin can override the Jifty class, just as any existing application classes will be loaded first. new Returns a new ClassLoader object. Doing this installs a hook into @INC that allows Jifty::Plugin::ClassLoader to dynamically create needed classes if they do not exist already. This works because if use/require encounters a blessed reference in @INC, it will invoke the INC method with the name of the module it is searching for on the reference. Takes two mandatory arguments, "base", which should be the application's base path; and "plugin" which is the plugin classname. INC The hook that is called when a module has been "require"'d that cannot be found on disk. The following stub classes are auto-generated: Application An empty application base class is created that doesn't provide any methods or inherit from anything. Application::Record An empty class that descends from Jifty::Record is created. Application::Collection An empty class that descends from Jifty::Collection is created. Application::Notification An empty class that descends from Jifty::Notification. Application::Dispatcher An empty class that descends from Jifty::Dispatcher. Application::Bootstrap An empty class that descends from Jifty::Bootstrap. Application::Upgrade An empty class that descends from Jifty::Upgrade. Application::CurrentUser An empty class that descends from Jifty::CurrentUser. Application::Model::AnythingCollection If "Application::Model::Something" is a valid model class, then it creates a subclass of Jifty::Collection whose "record_class" is "Application::Model::Something". Application::Action::(Create or Update or Delete)Anything If "Application::Model::Something" is a valid model class, then it creates a subclass of Jifty::Action::Record::Create, Jifty::Action::Record::Update, or Jifty::Action::Record::Delete whose record_class is "Application::Model::Something". require Loads all of the application's Actions and Models. It additionally "require"'s all Collections and Create/Update actions for each Model base class -- which will auto-create them using the above code if they do not exist on disk. DESTROY When the ClassLoader gets garbage-collected, its entry in @INC needs to be removed. perl v5.14.2 2010-12-08 Jifty::Plugin::ClassLoader(3pm)