Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: root password
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting root password Post 17835 by Kelam_Magnus on Wednesday 20th of March 2002 02:20:15 PM
Old 03-20-2002
rlogin or rcp

If you have .rhosts files established on each of the other servers, you should be able to execute. rlogin

rlogin systemname -l root

If you have the exact same passwd files, you can use rcp.

rcp mycurrentbox:/etc/passwd theotherbox:/etc/passwd

Then you can login over there as well. If they are not the same you can do this anyway and then restore you password from a backup with out interrupting the users.

If not you may need to reboot them as well.

keep me updated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Lost root password / Can't login as root

We have quite a few threads about this subject. I have collected some of them and arranged them by the OS which is primarily discussed in the thread. That is because the exact procedure depends on the OS involved. What's more, since you often need to interact with the boot process, the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

2. Linux

how to access root priveliges if root password is lost

wish to know how to access root password it root password is forgotten in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I need it to prompt me for a root password, so I don't have to log as root

Hi folks, I'm trying to install a program, and I want to place some of the executables into /usr/bin so that they can be executed from any folder on the computer. I've been giveng the root password, but told never to log in directly as root. Instead, I can wait for a password prompt. However, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lunchtime
2 Replies

4. Linux

root password

Hi everybody: I have a problem. How does it possible that when I type the root password on terminal, later write: su password: ****** System recognize the password, but when a I use the GUI environment, the system does not recognize it. Any suggestion. :o Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

Root Password

Hi all, I am changing the root password periodically from eg: password01 to password02. However, I can still use password01 after it is changed, it seems that it only authenticates up the first few characters. Please can someone let me know how I can fix this. Thanks Ryan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macgre_r
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to change root password using shell script with standard password

Hi Friends. I am new to scripting now i want to change the root password using the script with standard password. which is the easy scripting to learn for the beginner, Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 8 - Asks for current root password when trying to change root password.

Hello All, I have several solaris boxes running Solaris 8. When changing root passwords on them, all will simply ask for the new root password to change and of course to re-type the new password. One of the systems however asks for the existing root password before it will display the new password... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tferrazz
8 Replies

8. Solaris

Lost Root Password on VXVM Encapsulated Root Disk

Hi All Hope it's okay to post on this sub-forum, couldn't find a better place I've got a 480R running solaris 8 with veritas volume manager managing all filesystems, including an encapsulated root disk (I believe the root disk is encapsulated as one of the root mirror disks has an entry under... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunnyd76
1 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Root access that can't change root password?

We are having a little problem on a server. We want that some users should be able to do e.g. sudo and become root, but with the restriction that the user can't change root password. That is, a guarantee that we still can login to that server and become root no matter of what the other users will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 244an
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can a root role change the root password in Solaris 10?

i do not have root on a solairs 10 server , however i do have the root role, i was wondering if I can change the root password as a a role with the passwd command? I have not tried yet. and do i have to use the # chgkey -p afterwards? i need to patch is why i am asking. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goya
1 Replies
hosts.equiv(4)							   File Formats 						    hosts.equiv(4)

NAME
hosts.equiv, rhosts - trusted remote hosts and users DESCRIPTION
The /etc/hosts.equiv and .rhosts files provide the "remote authentication" database for rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcp(1), and rcmd(3SOCKET). The files specify remote hosts and users that are considered "trusted". Trusted users are allowed to access the local system without supply- ing a password. The library routine ruserok() (see rcmd(3SOCKET)) performs the authentication procedure for programs by using the /etc/hosts.equiv and .rhosts files. The /etc/hosts.equiv file applies to the entire system, while individual users can maintain their own .rhosts files in their home directories. These files bypass the standard password-based user authentication mechanism. To maintain system security, care must be taken in creating and maintaining these files. The remote authentication procedure determines whether a user from a remote host should be allowed to access the local system with the identity of a local user. This procedure first checks the /etc/hosts.equiv file and then checks the .rhosts file in the home directory of the local user who is requesting access. Entries in these files can be of two forms. Positive entries allow access, while negative entries deny access. The authentication succeeds when a matching positive entry is found. The procedure fails when the first matching nega- tive entry is found, or if no matching entries are found in either file. The order of entries is important. If the files contain both posi- tive and negative entries, the entry that appears first will prevail. The rsh(1) and rcp(1) programs fail if the remote authentication pro- cedure fails. The rlogin program falls back to the standard password-based login procedure if the remote authentication fails. Both files are formatted as a list of one-line entries. Each entry has the form: hostname [username] Hostnames must be the official name of the host, not one of its nicknames. Negative entries are differentiated from positive entries by a `-' character preceding either the hostname or username field. Positive Entries If the form: hostname is used, then users from the named host are trusted. That is, they may access the system with the same user name as they have on the remote system. This form may be used in both the /etc/hosts.equiv and .rhosts files. If the line is in the form: hostname username then the named user from the named host can access the system. This form may be used in individual .rhosts files to allow remote users to access the system as a different local user. If this form is used in the /etc/hosts.equiv file, the named remote user will be allowed to access the system as any local user. netgroup(4) can be used in either the hostname or username fields to match a number of hosts or users in one entry. The form: +@netgroup allows access from all hosts in the named netgroup. When used in the username field, netgroups allow a group of remote users to access the system as a particular local user. The form: hostname +@netgroup allows all of the users in the named netgroup from the named host to access the system as the local user. The form: +@netgroup1 +@netgroup2 allows the users in netgroup2 from the hosts in netgroup1 to access the system as the local user. The special character `+' can be used in place of either hostname or username to match any host or user. For example, the entry + will allow a user from any remote host to access the system with the same username. The entry + username will allow the named user from any remote host to access the system. The entry hostname + will allow any user from the named host to access the system as the local user. Negative Entries Negative entries are preceded by a `-' sign. The form: -hostname will disallow all access from the named host. The form: -@netgroup means that access is explicitly disallowed from all hosts in the named netgroup. The form: hostname -username disallows access by the named user only from the named host, while the form: + -@netgroup will disallow access by all of the users in the named netgroup from all hosts. Search Sequence To help maintain system security, the /etc/hosts.equiv file is not checked when access is being attempted for super-user. If the user attempting access is not the super-user, /etc/hosts.equiv is searched for lines of the form described above. Checks are made for lines in this file in the following order: 1. + 2. +@netgroup 3. -@netgroup 4. -hostname 5. hostname The user is granted access if a positive match occurrs. Negative entries apply only to /etc/hosts.equiv and may be overridden by subse- quent .rhosts entries. If no positive match occurred, the .rhosts file is then searched if the user attempting access maintains such a file. This file is searched whether or not the user attempting access is the super-user. As a security feature, the .rhosts file must be owned by the user who is attempting access. Checks are made for lines in .rhosts in the following order: 1. + 2. +@netgroup 3. -@netgroup 4. -hostname 5. hostname FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv system trusted hosts and users ~/.rhosts user's trusted hosts and users SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcmd(3SOCKET), hosts(4), netgroup(4), passwd(4) WARNINGS
Positive entries in /etc/hosts.equiv that include a username field (either an individual named user, a netgroup, or `+' sign) should be used with extreme caution. Because /etc/hosts.equiv applies system-wide, these entries allow one, or a group of, remote users to access the system as any local user. This can be a security hole. For example, because of the search sequence, an /etc/hosts.equiv file consist- ing of the entries + -hostxxx will not deny access to "hostxxx". SunOS 5.10 23 Jun 1997 hosts.equiv(4)