Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: delete all lines in file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers delete all lines in file Post 17112 by sbw1 on Monday 11th of March 2002 10:52:58 AM
Old 03-11-2002
Or, you could enter on line one:

dG

and that would delete to the end of the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can I delete lines without actually going into the file

what am trying to do is delete a line in a specific file but I dont know what to do. I cant use the sed or awk commands because these commands dont really alter the original file. they only alter what they display on the screen by the way, am trying to do this from a script so if anybody can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete lines from a file.

I have a file which has about 500K records and I need to delete about 50 records from the file. I know line numbers and am using sed '13456,13457,......d' filename > new file. It does not seem to be working. Any help will greatly appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oracle8
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the lines from file

i have two files & want to delete the lines from 2nd file which matches with 1st file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameersam
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete n last lines of a file

Hello!!! how can I delete the last n lines of a file??? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncatdesigner
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete lines in a file that have duplicates or derive the lines that aper once

Input: a b b c d d I need: a c I know how to get this (the lines that have duplicates) : b d sort file | uniq -d But i need opossite of this. I have searched the forum and other places as well, but have found solution for everything except this variant of the problem. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: necroman08
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How get only required lines & delete the rest of the lines in file

Hiiii I have a file which contains huge data as a.dat: PDE 1990 1 9 18 51 28.90 24.7500 95.2800 118.0 6.1 0.0 BURMA event name: 010990D time shift: 7.3000 half duration: 5.0000 latitude: 24.4200 longitude: 94.9500 depth: 129.6000 Mrr: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: reva
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

In a huge file, Delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines

Hi All, I have a very huge file (4GB) which has duplicate lines. I want to delete duplicate lines leaving unique lines. Sort, uniq, awk '!x++' are not working as its running out of buffer space. I dont know if this works : I want to read each line of the File in a For Loop, and want to... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnix
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete lines in a file

Hi This is a sample of my data file. ##field PH01000000 1 4869017 #PH01000000G0240 WWW278545G0240 P.he_model_v1.0 erine 119238 121805 . - . ID=PH01000000G0240;Description="zinc finger, C3HC4 type domain containing protein, expressed"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonia102
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete 40 lines after every 24 lines from a file

Hello, I have file of more than 10000 lines. I want to delete 40 lines after every 20 lines. e.g from a huge file, i want to delete line no from 34 - 74, then 94 - 134 etc and so on. Please let me know how i can do it. Best regards, (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Delete Some Lines from File

Hi, I have a txt document having a format like this: DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 23:41:34 DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 23:41:32 DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 23:41:30 ... DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 22:35:31 DATA1 | DATA2 | DATA3 | 23-JAN-20 22:30:34 DATA1 | DATA2 |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
1 Replies
curs_deleteln(3X)														 curs_deleteln(3X)

NAME
deleteln, wdeleteln, insdelln, winsdelln, insertln, winsertln - delete and insert lines in a curses window SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int deleteln(void); int wdeleteln(WINDOW *win); int insdelln(int n); int winsdelln(WINDOW *win, int n); int insertln(void); int winsertln(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
The deleteln and wdeleteln routines delete the line under the cursor in the window; all lines below the current line are moved up one line. The bottom line of the window is cleared. The cursor position does not change. The insdelln and winsdelln routines, for positive n, insert n lines into the specified window above the current line. The n bottom lines are lost. For negative n, delete n lines (starting with the one under the cursor), and move the remaining lines up. The bottom n lines are cleared. The current cursor position remains the same. The insertln and winsertln routines, insert a blank line above the current line and the bottom line is lost. RETURN VALUE
All routines return the integer ERR upon failure and an OK (SVr4 specifies only "an integer value other than ERR") upon successful comple- tion. PORTABILITY
These functions are described in the XSI Curses standard, Issue 4. The standard specifies that they return ERR on failure, but specifies no error conditions. NOTES
Note that all but winsdelln may be macros. These routines do not require a hardware line delete or insert feature in the terminal. In fact, they won't use hardware line delete/insert unless idlok(..., TRUE) has been set on the current window. SEE ALSO
curses(3X) curs_deleteln(3X)