Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 3d animation
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers 3d animation Post 15708 by aloysius1001 on Monday 18th of February 2002 10:46:39 PM
Old 02-18-2002
3d animation

What are the benefits to using UNIX for 3d animation. I am looking into the field, and most places require a strong background in UNIX. Why is this?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Graphics And Animation

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHY C OR ANY OTHER UNIX LANGUAGE IS USED IN THREE DIMENSIONAL ANIMATION AND RENDERING (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aloysius1001
5 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

unix.com Flash animation

I realy Love the look of the Flash animation at top of the forum, very sweet. But it uses all of my cpu power :( even winamp starts getting little skips. Then i have to scroll down and hide the nice animation :( Maybe someone could try to tune it a little bit. Thats on a 1,6 Ghz... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script animation

I have read hundreds of the postings and cannot find the answer to my question...so I hope that someone is able to answer it for me. I am writing a script in bash, and would like to add animation. I have a gif file that I would like to open and have displayed on the screen. Can this be done? Of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: debit
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Animation

Hi, I want to write a shell script which can do some animation The animation is as follows it is like a progress barwhich hould gone on inresing with time & at the end of the line there should be the progess Eg == - 10%... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gnuplot shell script controlled animation

Hi, I am looking for basic shell script to feed Gnuplot with live data, to arrange basic animation. I mean one-liner one variable real function. Any idea or experiences from the past, generating Gnuplot animation on dumb terminal (ASCII only) ? Or please refer me to a nice web site. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: darius2
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop animation

This is just for fun but i can't work it out I want to animate this dotted line in a shell script. .................................................................................. I want it to start at one dot like this . and end up printing them all. I think I need a while loop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
5 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Description Animation with jQuery

I found that the pages that lists all the forums were too cluttered with the forum descriptions, so I added a bit of jQuery to hide the forum descriptions and to fade them in and out on mouseover: <script> $(document).ready(function() { jQuery(".neo-forum-description").hide();... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Display - Thread Preview Text Animation

Instead of the slow and not readable tooltips with the preview of the thread content in forum view, I have added the preview with mouseover (see attached movie). Let me know if you want a different kind of preview (animation, duration font-color, size, etc,) Thanks. <script>... (29 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
29 Replies
glutIdleFunc(3GLUT)						       GLUT						       glutIdleFunc(3GLUT)

NAME
glutIdleFunc - sets the global idle callback. SYNTAX
#include <GLUT/glut.h> void glutIdleFunc(void (*func)(void)); ARGUMENTS
func The new idle callback function. DESCRIPTION
glutIdleFunc sets the global idle callback to be func so a GLUT program can perform background processing tasks or continuous animation when window system events are not being received. If enabled, the idle callback is continuously called when events are not being received. The callback routine has no parameters. The current window and current menu will not be changed before the idle callback. Programs with multiple windows and/or menus should explicitly set the current window and/or current menu and not rely on its current setting. The amount of computation and rendering done in an idle callback should be minimized to avoid affecting the program's interactive response. In general, not more than a single frame of rendering should be done in an idle callback. Passing NULL to glutIdleFunc disables the generation of the idle callback. EXAMPLE
A typical idle callback to animate a window might look like: void idle(void) { time += 0.05; glutSetWindow(window); glutPostRedisplay(); } Notice how the idle callback does not do any actual drawing; it only advances the time scene state global variable. That is left to the window's display callback which will be triggered by the call to glutPostRedisplay. If you use the idle callback for animation, you should be sure to stop rendering when the window is not visible. This is easy to set up with a visibility callback. For example: void visible(int vis) { if (vis == GLUT_VISIBLE) glutIdleFunc(idle); else glutIdleFunc(NULL); } If you do use the idle callback for animation, one thing you should not do is setup the idle callback before calling glutMainLoop. It is much better to use the visibility callback to install idle callback when the window first becomes visible on the screen. SEE ALSO
glutTimerFunc, glutVisibilityFunc AUTHOR
Mark J. Kilgard (mjk@nvidia.com) GLUT
3.7 glutIdleFunc(3GLUT)