Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unzip .tgz files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unzip .tgz files Post 15068 by TioTony on Saturday 9th of February 2002 05:57:25 PM
Old 02-09-2002
I think the previous reply may have left off something. The full command is like this:

gzip -cd <filename.tgz> | tar xvf -

You could do each commmand separately, but if your resulting tar file is too large, tar xvf will not work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

unzip particular gzip files among the normal data files

Hello experts, I run Solaris 9. I have a below script which is used for gunzip the thousand files from a directory. ---- #!/usr/bin/sh cd /home/thousands/gzipfiles/ for i in `ls -1` do gunzip -c $i > /path/to/file/$i done ---- In my SAME directory there thousand of GZIP file and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create individual tgz files from a set of files

Hello I have a ton of files in a directory of the format app.log.2008-04-04 I'd like to run a command that would archive each of these files as app.log.2008-04-04.tgz I tried a few combinations of find with xargs etc but no luck. Thanks Amit (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitg
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract .tgz files that only contain a pattern

Let's say I've got File.tgz that contains:- Apple.txt Banana.txt Carrot.txt AppleBanana.txt Now, I would like to only extract files that contain the patter "Apple". I've tried this tar -xvf File.tgz 'tar -tf File.tgz | grep 'Apple'' but it does not work. Please help. Thanks. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: percivalwcy
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file.tgz.1of2 & file.tgz.2of2

Hi all, Need help. Anybody seen this kind of file before? file.tgz.1of2 file.tgz.2of2 how to extract this tgz file? Any help? Tq (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeedwolf
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a .ZIP file in Unix without using unzip cmd..?????

Hi All I have ftped a .ZIP file (zipped using WinZip in Windows) to my Unix server (HP-UX). I don't have unzip cmd available in my curent Unix version Please let me know any cmd in UNIX (other than unzip) using which I can unzip this .ZIP file . Please elaborate on the commands aval and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move files to existing .tgz file?

Hi, I have already created the tar files. which consist of some log files and Audit.csv plz see the below code for that ================================================ tar -Pczf ARCH/${arc_date}.tgz $LOG/*.log $REYE/CEP/FiAdapter/Audit.${arc_date}.csv ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pspriyanka
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to unzip files and Rename the Output-files

Hi all, I have a many folders with zipped files in them. The zipped files are txt files from different folders. The txt files have the same names. If i try to find . -type f -name "*.zip" -exec cp -R {} /myhome/ZIP \; it fails since the ZIP files from different folders have the same names and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmkenya
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specific files from multiple .tgz files

Hey, I have number of .tgz files and want to extract the file with the ending *results.txt from each one. I have tried for file in *.tgz; do tar --wildcards -zxf $file *results.txt; doneas well as list=$(ls *.tgz) for i in $list; do tar --wildcards -zxvf $i *.results.txt; done... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jfern
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzip all the files with subdirectories present and append a part of string from the main .zip files

Hi frnds, My requirement is I have a zip file with name say eg: test_ABC_UH_ccde2a_awdeaea_20150422.zip within that there are subdirectories on each directory we again have .zip files and in that we have files like mama20150422.gz and so on. Iam in need of a bash script so that it unzips... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
0 Replies
XDIFF_FILE_PATCH_BINARY(3)						 1						XDIFF_FILE_PATCH_BINARY(3)

xdiff_file_patch_binary - Alias of xdiff_file_bpatch

SYNOPSIS
bool xdiff_file_patch_binary (string $file, string $patch, string $dest) DESCRIPTION
Patches a $file with a binary $patch and stores the result in a file $dest. This function accepts patches created both via xdiff_file_bdiff(3) or xdiff_file_rabdiff(3) functions or their string counterparts. Starting with version 1.5.0 this function is an alias of xdiff_file_bpatch(3). PARAMETERS
o $file - The original file. o $patch - The binary patch file. o $dest - Path of the resulting file. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 xdiff_file_patch_binary(3) example The following code applies binary diff to a file. <?php $old_version = 'archive-1.0.tgz'; $patch = 'archive.bpatch'; $result = xdiff_file_patch_binary($old_version, $patch, 'archive-1.1.tgz'); if ($result) { echo "File patched"; } else { echo "File couldn't be patched"; } ?> NOTES
Note Both files ($file and $patch) will be loaded into memory so ensure that your memory_limit is set high enough. SEE ALSO
xdiff_string_patch_binary(3). PHP Documentation Group XDIFF_FILE_PATCH_BINARY(3)