Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Transformation capital letter Post 13875 by Kelam_Magnus on Thursday 24th of January 2002 03:17:37 PM
Old 01-24-2002
go to www.ugu.com sign up for the tip of the day.

Dear Dark,

Here is a very good script. That should do the trick. You will have to modify it of course.

It is not mine. But here it is.
Code:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

UNIX GURU UNIVERSE & UNIX911.com
                                 UNIX HOT TIP

Unix Tip 1661 - July 19, 2001

http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/show?tip.today
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Rename files script

If you want to rename files
in a directory then you can
use the following perl
script....

#!/usr/bin/perl
# rename: renames files according to the expr given on the command line.
# The expr will usually be a 's' or 'y' command, but can be any valid
# perl command if it makes sense. Takes a list of files to work on or
# defaults to '*' in the current directory.
# e.g.
#       rename 's/\.flip$/.flop/'       # rename *.flip to *.flop
#       rename s/flip/flop/             # rename *flip* to *flop*
#       rename 's/^s\.(.*)/$1.X/'       # switch sccs filenames around
#       rename 's/$/.orig/' */*.[ch]    # add .orig to your source files in
*/
#       rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/'             # lowercase all filenames in .
#       rename 'y/A-Z/a-z/ if -B'       # same, but just binaries!
#       rename chop *~                  # restore all ~ backup files

use Getopt::Std;
my ($subst, $name);

if (!&getopts("nfq") || $#ARGV == -1) {
    die "Usage: rename [-fnq] <perl expression> [file file...]
-f   : Force the new filename even if it exists already
-n   : Just print what would happen, but don't do the command
-q   : Don't print the files as they are renamed
e.g. : rename  's/\.c/.c.old/' *
       rename -q 'y/A-Z/a-z/' *\n";
}

$subst = shift;                 # Get perl command to work on
@ARGV = <*> if $#ARGV < 0;      # Default to complete directory

foreach $name (@ARGV) {
    $_ = $name;
    eval "$subst;";
    die $@ if $@;
    next if -e $_ && !$opt_f;   # Skip if the file exists if asked to.
    mext if $_ eq $name;
    if ($opt_n) {
        print "mv $name $_\n";
        next;
    }
    print "mv $name $_\n" if !$opt_q;
    rename($name,$_) or warn "Can't rename $name to $_, $!\n";
}

Put the script called rename in /usr/local/bin. Make sure
/usr/local/bin is in your $PATH for convenience.

This tip generously supported by: dave.ruddle@siemens.co.uk

inserted code tags --oombera

Last edited by oombera; 02-16-2004 at 11:36 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find capital letter names in a file without finding words at start of sentence

Hi, I want to be able to list all the names in a file which begin with a capital letter, but I don't want it to list words that begin a new sentence. Is there any way round this? Thanks for your help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kev269
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file name transformation

I've got a multitude of text data files that carry exactly the same kind of data. Unfortunately some of them have a different filename format some are: 'category'_'month'-'year'_act.txt an example being: daf_Apr-1961_act.txt and some are: 'category'_ 'year'-'month'_act.txt an... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vrms
16 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

converting day to capital letter...

Hello, I am receiving a file every day as this format. Since today is friday, the format is, PGI_STG_FRIDAY14.TXT. I need to write the shell script to check if this file exist in folder... I am using date format.. export DATE=`date '+%A'` echo $DATE The output is Friday But i... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: govindts
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help in xslt transformation

Hi I have one input xml file <param name="EXTR_COL" valueDesc="AUTHD_RFLL" value="rx.AUTHD_RFLL" /> There is a mapping parameters in Database. if EXTR_COL is present in input XML then it is mapped to fieldlist. so the o/p XML looks like <fieldlist> <datasource... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srinu19
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] check if chars is a capital letter and translate it

how can i check if read -n 1 LETTER; LETTER is a capital letter and after translate in minuscule. i have thought with: tr or no? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafazzi87
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make all words begin with capital letter?

I need to use bash to convert sentences where all words start with a small letter into one where all words start with a capital letter. So that a string like: are utilities ready for hurricane sandy becomes: Are Utilities Ready For Hurricane Sandy (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting all words that start with a capital letter in a string using python dictionary

Hi, I have written the following python snippet to store the capital letter starting words into a dictionary as key and no of its appearances as a value in this dictionary against the key. #!/usr/bin/env python import sys import re hash = {} # initialize an empty dictinonary for line in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Organizing text file by Capital Names (capital word ' ' capital word)

Hi I have a file passwd_exmpl that contains: root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash bin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/sbin/nologin daemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/sbin/nologin adm:x:3:4:adm:/var/adm:/sbin/nologin lp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/sbin/nologin sync:x:5:0:sync:/sbin:/bin/sync... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eladage
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific letter in a file by other letter

Good afternoon all, I want to ask how to change some letter in my file with other letter in spesific line eg. data.txt 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 for example i want to change the 4th line with character 1. How could I do it by SED or AWK. I have tried to run this code but actually did not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weslyarfan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the first letter of each line by a capital

Hi, I need to replace, as the title says, the first letter of each line (when it's not a number) by the same letter, but capital. For instance : hello Who 123pass Would become : Hello Who 123pass Is there a way with sed to do that ? Or other unix command ? Thank you :) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganon551
7 Replies
shift(1)							   User Commands							  shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)