Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sendmail outgoing mail only setup. Post 13770 by thehoghunter on Wednesday 23rd of January 2002 12:43:56 PM
Old 01-23-2002
what version of Sendmail ?

If it is the default with solaris 8 - then you should find a /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file - make a copy of it, vi the original and add the mail relay name in either the DH or DR line. Then insure that the start up script in /etc/rc2.d or /etc/rc3.d is removed. If you don't want the system to accept mail don't start Sendmail. Email will still go out to the relay.

Example:
# who I send unqualified names to (null means deliver locally)
DRsmtp.womnet.com

# who gets all local email traffic ($R has precedence for unqualified names)
DHsmtp.womnet.com

FYI - if your system is running sendmail and is connected to the internet (and not protected by a firewall) there is a possibility that a spammer can use your system as a relay. This is why you don't start sendmail on boot unless the system is the mail relay.

Last edited by thehoghunter; 01-23-2002 at 06:02 PM..
thehoghunter

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help for configuring outgoing mail in Solaris 9

G'day, I've a solaris 9 box that I want to configure so that users can send out mails to internet. How can I do it? Can someone pls list me the steps or direct me to a detailed website. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Albert J.
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disable Outgoing Mail

I have a Solaris 2.6 server running sendmail (Version 8.9.3p2). It actually receives email and runs the sendmail process. I need to configure it so that it continues to receive email, but disable its ability to send email out. My initial ideas was to just rename the mail and mailx binaries. But... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rosko
0 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Sendmail outgoing email rate

Does anyone know what's Sendmail outgoing email rate? e.g. 1000 outgoing email per minutes. If so, can we modify it? Thanks. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunmagic2003
1 Replies

4. Solaris

How do I configure sendmail to block all OUTGOING mail FROM one userid TO the world?

Hello, ENVIRONMENT: OS: Solaris 10 Sendmail: 8.13.8+Sun BACKGROUND: We had a user account that was compromised and was used as a relay. She sent out (or would have if we didn't kill sendmail) ~10K emails alerting people they just won $75K. The target for this spam was everyone internal... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avikb
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to auto CC all outgoing e-mail?

I'm using Debian 5.0.4, exim4 and mutt. I would like all outgoing mail sent by any/all users CC (not BCC) to a specified e-mail account. (I do have it working for BCC using 'unseen'.) I have spent hours of searching/reading/testing how and have not been able to find out how. I have seen it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mewbie
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to setup Sendmail as SMTP Relay?

Hi Guys, I want to setup sendmail using my username and password on my ISP to be able to send out messages. I'm using Linux. So far, what I've done is modified the sendmail.mc with the following changes: define(`SMART_HOST',`myispsmtpoutgoingserver') FEATURE(authinfo)dnl In my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]How do I setup outgoing email in solaris?

I have a Solaris box that I need to enable outgoing email from alarm purposes. How do I do that so the command echo "test this email" | mailx test@address.com will go through? ---------- Post updated at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:04 PM ---------- Needed to open port 25/smtp... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SIFT3R
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX - Sendmail - add hostname to subject of outgoing mail

Hello, I'm configuring sendmail on an AIX 7.1 server (bos.net.tcp.client 7.1.1.15). I've gotten sendmail to send mail through our Novell GroupWise server, so that mail from a user on the server appears to come from their GroupWise account, and replies to the email would go to their GroupWise... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eyebeam
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Minimal Mail Server Setup for Local Mail Transfer

I am trying to get stored mail out of an old mail client. I figured that the easiest way to do it is with IMAP by logging in with both clients. I can copy the mail to the server from the old mail client, and back down into the new mail client. Rather than using a real mail account on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie
2 Replies

10. Proxy Server

How to send mail (sendmail) for php mail()?

PHP mail() function doesn't work. Nor does sendmail: loaded system configuration file /etc/msmtprc ignoring user configuration file /home/xi/.msmtprc: No such file or directory falling back to default account using account default from /etc/msmtprc host = xsi port = 25 proxy host = (not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies
local.users(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						    local.users(4)

NAME
local.users - Specifies mail recipients on the local host. DESCRIPTION
The local.users file contains a list of user names whose mail is to be delivered to the local host and whose return address is user- name@hostname. Entries in the local.hosts file are in addition to other local users (such as root and postmaster). See sendmail.cf(4) for a description of other local users. You can add entries to this file if the host is configured as a simple client and either of the following is true: The user wants their mail delivered on this machine rather than being forwarded to the mail server. You are adding aliases to the /var/adm/sendmail/aliases file. When the host is configured as a simple client, the alias must be added to this file and the aliases file. A simple client is defined as a host that had the mail system configured using the MailConfig application from the System Management utili- ties or configured using the mailsetup utility's Quick Setup menu. The format of the file is as follows: User names are separated by blanks or new lines. Multiple user name can be specified on a line. Blank lines are ignored. A comment mark (#) ends the line. After modifying the local.users file, you must restart the sendmail daemon to apply the changes. Use the following command: # /sbin/init.d/sendmail restart EXAMPLES
root postmaster rw # A comment followed by an ignored blank line. # Another comment. mariah # Another comment. carey # Leading blanks are acceptable. FILES
Specifies the path name for the file. RELATED INFORMATION
Files: sendmail.cf(4). delim off local.users(4)