Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Wildcards In UNIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Wildcards In UNIX Post 13198 by smdakram on Monday 14th of January 2002 12:40:10 AM
Old 01-14-2002
ls s*

when i try to search files which first character start's with S char.

I giving worng outout why like that.

how to use wildcards in SCOUNIX.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Makefile wildcards

Using a makefile I want to compile all .c files in the current directory without specifying them directly and then link their associated .o files into a library. How do I do this ? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcscott
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls - wildcards and global use

Hiya, I want to list all files missing a certain pattern and/or filename pattern on the entire drive. In DOS I would type (for instance): dir \t*.doc /s /a which should find all doc files whose filename starts with `t'. How do I do that in a unix shell? Can it be done w/ ls at... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wildcards in VI

I'm trying to delete lines from a large text file using VI. Every line that I am wanting to delete start with 'S' - all others do not. (A list of users) I've tried using * but doesn't seem to like it...any ideas... Doesn't have to be VI - but I'm better with VI than sed/awk. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter.herlihy
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards in path

Is there some rule about using wildcards in path? Say I want to create a file, but one of the directories in the path is called 1433d.default and on different machines it will be called <some other string>.default touch ~/Library/Application/*.default/myfile In theory I thought that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcards and exceptions

Hello: I have a very basic question. I'd like to select all files except for one file. For example, say I want to move all of the files in my current directory to a subdirectory called archive, I would use mv ./* archive/ But what if I want to move all files except for README.txt? Is there an... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Danny.Boy
19 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming with wildcards

Hi, I'm new to Unix, but have a directory which has many files in it, well over 1000. The files are called : M07GO.STOPE0001 M07GO.STOPE0002 M07GO.STOPE0003 M07GO.STOPE0004 etc... I would like to rename them to the following : M070001.bin M070002.bin M070003.bin M070004.bin etc....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rnmuk
4 Replies
gnome-search-tool(1)						   User Commands					      gnome-search-tool(1)

NAME
gnome-search-tool - search for files SYNOPSIS
gnome-search-tool [--named=text] [--path=folder] [--sortby=order] [--descending] [--contains=string] [--user=user] [--nouser] [--allmounts] [--empty] [--follow] [--group=group] [--hidden] [--mtimeless=date] [--mtimemore=date] [--notnamed=filename] [--regex=pattern] [--size- less=size] [--sizemore=size] [--start] [gnome-std-options] DESCRIPTION
The Search for Files application enables you to search for files on your system. Search for Files uses the find(1) command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --allmounts Select the 'Search other filesystems' search constraint. --contains=string Select the 'Contains the text' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --descending Set sort order to descending. The default sort order is ascending. --empty Select the 'File is empty' search constraint. --follow Select the 'Follow symbolic links' search constraint. --group=group Select the 'Owned by group' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --hidden Select the 'Show hidden and backup files' search option. --mtimeless=date Select the 'Date modified before (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --mtimemore=date Select the 'Date modified after (days)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --named=text Set the text of the 'Name contains' search option. --notnamed=filename Select the 'File is not named' search constraint and set the text of that entry. Use a full filename or a partial filename with wildcards. See find(1) for more details about using wildcards. --nouser Select the 'Owner is unrecognized' search constraint. --path=folder Set the text of the 'Look in folder' entry. Defaults to the current working directory. --start Automatically start a search. --regex=pattern Select the 'File matches regular expression' search constraint and set the text of that entry. See find(1) for more details about the regular expression patterns that can be used. --sizeless=size Select the 'Size is less than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sizemore=size Select the 'Size is more than (kilobytes)' search constraint and set the text of that entry. --sortby=order Sort files by one of the following: name, folder, size, type, or date. --user=user Select the 'Owned by user' search constraint and set the text of that entry. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Performing a basic search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --name=a.out --path=$HOME --autostart Example 2: Performing an advanced search automatically example% gnome-search-tool --contains=unistd.h --mtimeless=3 --sortby=size --autostart EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-search-tool Executable for Search for Files ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-search-tool | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Search for Files Manual Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. find(1), gnome-std-options(5) NOTES
Written by Glynn Foster, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2006. SunOS 5.11 2 Oct 2003 gnome-search-tool(1)