Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Resetting WTMP?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Resetting WTMP? Post 1294 by 98_1LE on Thursday 22nd of February 2001 12:13:05 PM
Old 02-22-2001
You can probably go edit the files listed above and just restart utmpd. I have never tried this though. Whats specific OS are you running?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Wtmp Reader

I would loke to read the WTMP file. This is a binary file in the /var/logs directory. Is there any utility which will convert this binary file to ASCII format? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgold1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

manage the wtmp file

Here's a usefull perl script to trim the wtmp file, in case it got too big, which happens sometimes, or got curropted (which also happens often). You could learn from here how to parse the wtmp file... but of course for just reading its content always simply use "last" like Neo said.... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2unix
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wtmp

Hi, is it ok if i delete wtmp on HPUX 11 under /var/adm It is filling up that filesystem Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsharples
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

truncate wtmp

I have AIX5.1 I have been trying to learn how to truncate the /var/adm/wtmp file. I have seen several things on google actually but don't quite understand. I also searched your forums but couldn't find it. one says this ">/var/adm/wtmp Is that all I do? I have a seperate question also. I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

5. AIX

wtmp file

Hello everyone I have a problem with the file wtmp that is on /var/adm This file was not on this directory (adm). I try creating a new file with the correct rights (644) and owner (adm:adm) but It doesnt work. If I type the last command i get this last ora10g ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resetting date

Hi there, Is there a way i can reset the date on my unix terminal to yesterday's date? date Tue Jul 1 14:18:21 GMT 2008 Please let me know. JAK (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
7 Replies

7. AIX

Clear wtmp

Hello, Is there a difference between the following commands besides consider the file permissions? /usr/sbin/acct/nulladm /var/adm/wtmp >/var/adm/wtmp cat /dev/null >/var/adm/wtmp Today I tried the second command and it worked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: x_adm
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

wtmp output

Hi, Can anybody explain wtmp output fields? A dir was created at 7:11pm and I wanted to find out who was logged in at that time but as you can see there is no ip address listed when I run utmpdump against the wtmp file..... R, D. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
1 Replies

9. AIX

Wtmp empty everyday

Anyone got experience where wtmp logs get truncated everyday? Though sulog, failedlogin and lastlog seems to be fine. The server uptime is 18 days running on AIX 5.3. Sorry this seems to be a generic questions but never really encountered before. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
6 Replies
rwho(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   rwho(1)

NAME
rwho - Shows which users are logged into hosts on the local network. SYNOPSIS
rwho [-a] rwho [-a] [users] OPTIONS
Includes all users. Without this option, users whose sessions are idle an hour or more are not included in the report. DESCRIPTION
The rwho command displays the username, hostname, and start date and time of each session for everyone on the local network who is cur- rently logged in to a host running the rwhod daemon. If one or more user names are specified, only the status of those users whose names are listed appears on the screen. If a user has not typed anything for at least 3 minutes, rwho reports the idle time as a number of minutes in the last column. After an hour of inactivity, a user is not included unless the -a option is specified. Because this command displays a lot of output, use this command with caution if the local network has a large number of users. Status information is broadcast once every 3 minutes by each network host running the rwhod daemon. Any activity (such as a user logging on or off) that takes place between broadcasts is not reflected until the next broadcast. EXAMPLES
To get a report of all users currently logged into hosts on the local network, enter: $ rwho bob host2:pts5 Nov 17 06:30 :20 bob host7:console Nov 17 06:25 :25 franz host1:pts0 Nov 17 11:20 :51 franz host1:pts8 Nov 16 15:33 :42 franz host4:console Nov 17 16:32 pietro host1:console Nov 17 13:14 :31 pietro host1:pts7 Nov 17 13:15 :47 server host2:console Nov 17 06:58 :20 luis host2:pts6 Nov 17 09:22 FILES
Indicates data files received from remote rwhod daemons. SEE ALSO
Commands: ruptime(1), rwhod(8) rwho(1)