Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Resetting WTMP?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Resetting WTMP? Post 1294 by 98_1LE on Thursday 22nd of February 2001 12:13:05 PM
Old 02-22-2001
You can probably go edit the files listed above and just restart utmpd. I have never tried this though. Whats specific OS are you running?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Wtmp Reader

I would loke to read the WTMP file. This is a binary file in the /var/logs directory. Is there any utility which will convert this binary file to ASCII format? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgold1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

manage the wtmp file

Here's a usefull perl script to trim the wtmp file, in case it got too big, which happens sometimes, or got curropted (which also happens often). You could learn from here how to parse the wtmp file... but of course for just reading its content always simply use "last" like Neo said.... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2unix
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wtmp

Hi, is it ok if i delete wtmp on HPUX 11 under /var/adm It is filling up that filesystem Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsharples
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

truncate wtmp

I have AIX5.1 I have been trying to learn how to truncate the /var/adm/wtmp file. I have seen several things on google actually but don't quite understand. I also searched your forums but couldn't find it. one says this ">/var/adm/wtmp Is that all I do? I have a seperate question also. I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

5. AIX

wtmp file

Hello everyone I have a problem with the file wtmp that is on /var/adm This file was not on this directory (adm). I try creating a new file with the correct rights (644) and owner (adm:adm) but It doesnt work. If I type the last command i get this last ora10g ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resetting date

Hi there, Is there a way i can reset the date on my unix terminal to yesterday's date? date Tue Jul 1 14:18:21 GMT 2008 Please let me know. JAK (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
7 Replies

7. AIX

Clear wtmp

Hello, Is there a difference between the following commands besides consider the file permissions? /usr/sbin/acct/nulladm /var/adm/wtmp >/var/adm/wtmp cat /dev/null >/var/adm/wtmp Today I tried the second command and it worked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: x_adm
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

wtmp output

Hi, Can anybody explain wtmp output fields? A dir was created at 7:11pm and I wanted to find out who was logged in at that time but as you can see there is no ip address listed when I run utmpdump against the wtmp file..... R, D. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
1 Replies

9. AIX

Wtmp empty everyday

Anyone got experience where wtmp logs get truncated everyday? Though sulog, failedlogin and lastlog seems to be fine. The server uptime is 18 days running on AIX 5.3. Sorry this seems to be a generic questions but never really encountered before. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
6 Replies
getuts(3C)																getuts(3C)

NAME
getuts: endutsent(), getutsent(), getutsid(), getutsline(), pututsline(), setutsent(), ENDUTSENT(), GETUTSENT(), GETUTSID(), GETUTSLINE(), PUTUTSLINE(), SETUTSENT(), - access and update routines for user-accounting database maintained by utmpd SYNOPSIS
Remarks The size of the structure (for example is passed as utmps_size parameter in the above calls. A macro equivalent exists for each of the above function calls. These macros provide a shorthand way of calling getuts(3C) functions, by implicitly passing the utmps_size parameter to the corresponding getuts(3C) function. DESCRIPTION
and each return a pointer to a structure, the key elements of the structure are char ut_user[] User login name char ut_id[] Unique Id to distinguish an entry char ut_line[] Device name pid_t ut_pid Process Id short ut_type Type of Entry struct ut_exit The exit status of a process struct timeval ut_tv Time entry was made char ut_host[] Host name, if remote uint8_t ut_addr[] Internet Address of the Host, if remote short ut_addr_type Flag to identify type of address in ut_addr Routines This call returns the next record from the in-memory user accounting database maintained by utmpd(1M). When the end of the database is reached fails and returns NULL. The macro is a wrapper around and implicitly passes the utmps_size parameter. For entries of ut_type matching and searches the database for an entry matching id->ut_id field. The record is fetched irre- spective of the current position in the internal ordering and does not alter the current position in the inter- nal ordering for the API. If ut_type specified is or fetches an entry with a ut_type matching id->ut_type. If no matching entry is found fails and returns NULL. The macro is a wrapper around and implicitly passes the utmps_size parameter to This is similar to It searches the utmpd(1M)'s database for an entry of type or that also has the ut_line field matching the line->ut_line string. If the entry is not found in the database, fails and returns NULL. The record is fetched irrespective of the current position in the internal ordering and does not alter the internal ordering for the API. The macro is a wrapper around and implicitly passes the utmps_size parameter to Writes out the supplied structure into the in-memory user accounting database maintained by utmpd(1M). For entries of ut_type matching and searches the utmpd(1M)'s database for an entry matching utmps->ut_id field. If the entry already exists in the utmpd(1M)'s database, this API updates the entry already present. Otherwise, adds a new entry into the utmpd(1M)'s database. If ut_type specified is or updates the entry with ut_type matching utmps->ut_type. The macro is a wrapper around and implicitly passes the utmps_size parameter to This API searches the utmpd(1M)'s database for an entry with ut_pid matching the pid argument. Since pid has significance only for currently ACTIVE processes, matching is done only for entries of type or On finding a matching entry, returns the corresponding entry; otherwise, fails and returns NULL. The macro is a wrapper around and implicitly passes the utmps_size parameter to Resets the requests for to begin from the start of the utmpd(1M)'s database. It also clears out the static structure. The macro is a wrapper around It closes any open file descriptors and clears out the static structure. The macro is a wrapper around The specific calling convention of passing the expected data structure size is used in order to allow for future expansion of the inter- face, and the structure while preserving backward compatibility for programs written using the getuts(3C) interfaces. The interfaces encode the version information of the structure in the utmps_size parameter. Should the structure change in a future release, utmpd(1M) and libc interfaces detect the version of the structure the application was compiled with based on the utmps_size param- eter and return the appropriate structure. The getuts(3C) interfaces use file only when the utmpd(1M) is not running. This feature may be discontinued in a future release. The field in the structure can hold a 16 byte IPv6 address. In case applications want to write a four byte IPv4 address into this field, they must initialize the field to and use the last four bytes of the field. Applications which write an IPv6 address into the field must initialize the to and are macros defined in header file. RETURN VALUE
and return a pointer to static structure on success. On failure they return NULL. ERRORS
The size parameter passed to the functions does not match any of the structure sizes supported by the server. WARNINGS
If the size of a member of the structure changes in a future release, applications compiled with older version of the structure will get truncated information for the structure fields that have expanded. To get the complete information, the applications have to be re-com- piled. The value returned by and points to a single static area that is overwritten by each call to any of the functions, so it must be copied if it is to be saved. AUTHOR
The routines were developed by Hewlett-Packard Company. FILES
SEE ALSO
utmpd(1M), bwtmps(3C), thread_safety(5). getuts(3C)