Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Resetting WTMP?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Resetting WTMP? Post 1288 by cuppjr on Wednesday 21st of February 2001 10:57:16 PM
Old 02-21-2001
Question

When I type last oracle I get dates from Nov 28, 2000 all the way back to the beginning of time it seems. The 11-28-2000 entry states that Oracle is still logged in, but if you type a who, it shows only 1 entry - the currently logged in user (Me as oracle), but I logged in only minutes ago - and the system date shows correct. Why does it not log current users any more? Please advise as soon as possible.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Wtmp Reader

I would loke to read the WTMP file. This is a binary file in the /var/logs directory. Is there any utility which will convert this binary file to ASCII format? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgold1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

manage the wtmp file

Here's a usefull perl script to trim the wtmp file, in case it got too big, which happens sometimes, or got curropted (which also happens often). You could learn from here how to parse the wtmp file... but of course for just reading its content always simply use "last" like Neo said.... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: me2unix
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wtmp

Hi, is it ok if i delete wtmp on HPUX 11 under /var/adm It is filling up that filesystem Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsharples
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

truncate wtmp

I have AIX5.1 I have been trying to learn how to truncate the /var/adm/wtmp file. I have seen several things on google actually but don't quite understand. I also searched your forums but couldn't find it. one says this ">/var/adm/wtmp Is that all I do? I have a seperate question also. I was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rocker40
1 Replies

5. AIX

wtmp file

Hello everyone I have a problem with the file wtmp that is on /var/adm This file was not on this directory (adm). I try creating a new file with the correct rights (644) and owner (adm:adm) but It doesnt work. If I type the last command i get this last ora10g ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resetting date

Hi there, Is there a way i can reset the date on my unix terminal to yesterday's date? date Tue Jul 1 14:18:21 GMT 2008 Please let me know. JAK (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
7 Replies

7. AIX

Clear wtmp

Hello, Is there a difference between the following commands besides consider the file permissions? /usr/sbin/acct/nulladm /var/adm/wtmp >/var/adm/wtmp cat /dev/null >/var/adm/wtmp Today I tried the second command and it worked... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: x_adm
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

wtmp output

Hi, Can anybody explain wtmp output fields? A dir was created at 7:11pm and I wanted to find out who was logged in at that time but as you can see there is no ip address listed when I run utmpdump against the wtmp file..... R, D. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
1 Replies

9. AIX

Wtmp empty everyday

Anyone got experience where wtmp logs get truncated everyday? Though sulog, failedlogin and lastlog seems to be fine. The server uptime is 18 days running on AIX 5.3. Sorry this seems to be a generic questions but never really encountered before. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: depam
6 Replies
LAST,LASTB(1)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					     LAST,LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [-adFiowx] [ -f file ] [ -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS ] [name...] [tty...] lastb [-R] [-num] [ -n num ] [ -f file ] [-adFiowx] [name...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
Last searches back through the file /var/log/wtmp (or the file designated by the -f flag) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. Names of users and tty's can be given, in which case last will show only those entries matching the arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When last catches a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal (generated by the quit key, usu- ally control-), last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all reboots since the log file was created. Lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the file /var/log/btmp, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-f file Tells last to use a specific file instead of /var/log/wtmp. -num This is a count telling last how many lines to show. -n num The same. -t YYYYMMDDHHMMSS Display the state of logins as of the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to determine easily who was logged in at a particular time -- specify that time with -t and look for "still logged in". -f file Specifies a file to search other than /var/log/wtmp. -R Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -a Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the next flag. -d For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -F Print full login and logout times and dates. -i This option is like -d in that it displays the IP number of the remote host, but it displays the IP number in numbers-and-dots nota- tion. -o Read an old-type wtmp file (written by linux-libc5 applications). -w Display full user and domain names in the output. -x Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configura- tion issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), login(1), init(8) Jul 31, 2004 LAST,LASTB(1)