Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Move files using wildcards ??? Post 12244 by rwb1959 on Friday 21st of December 2001 09:37:29 PM
Old 12-21-2001
I think Jimbo answered your question about
mv and wild cards. In a nutshell, if the
file name "Nov*df" expands into more than one
file name, you could not logically move it
to a single target file name. Only a directory
name would be valid in this case.

Also, the line...
rename $fname Nname

...should be...
mv $fname $Nname

...don't forget that leading "$" when using
variables in your script (which of course is
not used in variable assignment).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cat to combine files using wildcards

How do I use cat (presumably with a sh script) to combine all the files in a directory without listing them individually. Thank you for your patience with this very elementary question.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enobarbus37
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check files and move the results to differents files?

Hi, I am a newbie to shell scripting. here is my objective: 1)The shell program should take 2 parameters - ie-> DestinationFolder, WebFolder 2)Destination folder contains few files that has to has be verified and deleted. 3)WebFolder is a folder containing a list of master files 4)It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandhyagupta
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename multiple files with wildcards

Hi All I am having hundred over file in the below pattern. AA050101.INI BB090101.INI . . ZX980101.INI Need to rename these files with an extension .bak AA050101.INI.bak BB090101.INI.bak . . ZX980101.INI.bak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, open multiple files with wildcards

I have a question regarding Perl scripting. If I want to say open files that all look like this and assign them to a filehandle and then assign the filehandle to a variable, how do I do this? The file names are strand1.fa.gz.tmp strand2.fa.gz.tmp strand3.fa.gz.tmp strand4.fa.gz.tmp ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: japaneseguitars
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move same files and issue ls -al command on remaining files

I know I can use an ls -l junk1 command to get a listing of all files in the directory junk1, but I was wondering how I'd go about going through the files in junk1 in a for-in loop and issuing the ls -l command on them one by one. This is what I have so far: for file in $(ls -a $1) do ls... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trinimini
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move directories along with files/specific files

I would like to transfer all files ending with .log from /tmp and to /tmp/archive (using find ) The directory structure looks like :- /tmp a.log b.log c.log /abcd d.log e.log When I tried the following command , it movies all the log files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying files with wildcards

Hello, I am attempting to copy a series of files using a wildcard into a new subdirectory. however, I am clearly doing something wrong as it is not working. I want to copy all files in the directory that start with the letters kl but have other letters after this initial two letters into another... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldenone
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files except sys date (today) files in Solaris 10

I want to move all files from one directory to another directory excluding today (sysdate files) on daily basis. file name is in pattern file_2013031801, file_2013031802 etc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khattak
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files with a certain suffix based on how many files are in another folder

Hello, First time poster. I am looking for a way to script or program the process of moving files from one folder to another, automatically, based on the count of files in the destination folder. I was thinking a shell script would work, but am open to the suggestions of the experts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: comtech
6 Replies
PMLOADDERIVEDCONFIG(3)					     Library Functions Manual					    PMLOADDERIVEDCONFIG(3)

NAME
pmLoadDerivedConfig - load derived metric definitions from a file C SYNOPSIS
#include <pcp/pmapi.h> int pmLoadDerivedConfig(char *fname); cc ... -lpcp DESCRIPTION
Each line of the file fname is either a comment line (with a ``#'' in the first position of the line) or the declaration of a derived per- formance metric, specified as: * the name of the derived metric, using the same ``dot notation'' syntax that is used for PCP performance metrics, see PCPIntro(1) and pmns(5). * an equals sign (``='') * a valid expression for a derived metric, as described in pmRegisterDerived(3). White space is ignored in the lines. For each line containing a derived metric definition, pmRegisterDerived(3) is called to register the new derived metric. The result from pmLoadDerivedConfig will be the number of derived metrics loaded from fname else a value less than zero in the case of an error. EXAMPLE
# sample derived metric definitions bad_in_pkts = network.interface.in.errors + network.interface.in.drops # note the following would need to be on a single line ... disk.dev.read_pct = 100 * delta(disk.dev.read) / (delta(disk.dev.read) + delta(disk.dev.write)) SEE ALSO
PCPIntro(1), PMAPI(3) and pmRegisterDerived(3). Performance Co-Pilot PMLOADDERIVEDCONFIG(3)