Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Move files using wildcards ??? Post 12196 by Cameron on Thursday 20th of December 2001 08:44:08 PM
Old 12-20-2001
rwb1959,

Thanks heaps for the reply.

The build should be:

Nname="df"`echo $fname | cut -c4-5`
rename $fname Nname

Is this correct?
I'm preparing this at home before I go back to workon Monday.

Again, many thanks.

BTW - Why is it that mv is unable to handle wildcards in a similar fashion to: mv Nov??_df df??.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using cat to combine files using wildcards

How do I use cat (presumably with a sh script) to combine all the files in a directory without listing them individually. Thank you for your patience with this very elementary question.:) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enobarbus37
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check files and move the results to differents files?

Hi, I am a newbie to shell scripting. here is my objective: 1)The shell program should take 2 parameters - ie-> DestinationFolder, WebFolder 2)Destination folder contains few files that has to has be verified and deleted. 3)WebFolder is a folder containing a list of master files 4)It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandhyagupta
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

rename multiple files with wildcards

Hi All I am having hundred over file in the below pattern. AA050101.INI BB090101.INI . . ZX980101.INI Need to rename these files with an extension .bak AA050101.INI.bak BB090101.INI.bak . . ZX980101.INI.bak (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, open multiple files with wildcards

I have a question regarding Perl scripting. If I want to say open files that all look like this and assign them to a filehandle and then assign the filehandle to a variable, how do I do this? The file names are strand1.fa.gz.tmp strand2.fa.gz.tmp strand3.fa.gz.tmp strand4.fa.gz.tmp ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: japaneseguitars
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move same files and issue ls -al command on remaining files

I know I can use an ls -l junk1 command to get a listing of all files in the directory junk1, but I was wondering how I'd go about going through the files in junk1 in a for-in loop and issuing the ls -l command on them one by one. This is what I have so far: for file in $(ls -a $1) do ls... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trinimini
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively move directories along with files/specific files

I would like to transfer all files ending with .log from /tmp and to /tmp/archive (using find ) The directory structure looks like :- /tmp a.log b.log c.log /abcd d.log e.log When I tried the following command , it movies all the log files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying files with wildcards

Hello, I am attempting to copy a series of files using a wildcard into a new subdirectory. however, I am clearly doing something wrong as it is not working. I want to copy all files in the directory that start with the letters kl but have other letters after this initial two letters into another... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: goldenone
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files except sys date (today) files in Solaris 10

I want to move all files from one directory to another directory excluding today (sysdate files) on daily basis. file name is in pattern file_2013031801, file_2013031802 etc (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: khattak
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files with a certain suffix based on how many files are in another folder

Hello, First time poster. I am looking for a way to script or program the process of moving files from one folder to another, automatically, based on the count of files in the destination folder. I was thinking a shell script would work, but am open to the suggestions of the experts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: comtech
6 Replies
ZIP_SOURCE_FILE(3)					     Library Functions Manual						ZIP_SOURCE_FILE(3)

NAME
zip_source_file - create data source from a file LIBRARY
libzip (-lzip) SYNOPSIS
struct zip_source * zip_source_file(struct zip *archive, const char *fname); "zip_uint64_t start" "zip_int64_t len" DESCRIPTION
The function zip_source_file creates a zip source from a file. zip_source_file opens fname and reads len bytes from offset start from it. If len is 0 or -1, the whole file (starting from start ) is used. The fie is opened and read when the data from the source is used, usually by zip_close. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, the created source is returned. Otherwise, NULL is returned and the error code in archive is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
zip_source_file fails if: [ZIP_ER_INVAL] fname, start, or len are invalid. [ZIP_ER_MEMORY] Required memory could not be allocated. [ZIP_ER_OPEN] Opening fname failed. SEE ALSO
libzip(3), zip_add(3), zip_replace(3), zip_source_buffer(3), zip_source_filep(3), zip_source_free(3), zip_source_function(3), zip_source_zip(3) AUTHORS
Dieter Baron <dillo@giga.or.at> and Thomas Klausner <tk@giga.or.at> NiH August 1, 2008 ZIP_SOURCE_FILE(3)