Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BIND and dig errors
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers BIND and dig errors Post 12028 by solvman on Monday 17th of December 2001 04:17:30 PM
Old 12-17-2001
nslookup would query all name servers in resolv.conf, if you have just your name server over there, then it means your server fails to resolve addresses

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig

what is dig? Is it just a advanced type of nslookup? how to use it? //nicke:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nicke30
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX - what script to dig into to

First I would like to thank you for your time in running a great Forum! Background - Windows/ASP/VB COM/SQL Server programmer/Webmaster. Desire - To build similar skillset on UNIX. I am looking at learning Perl or Python (maybe Jython due to connection to Java). I have a brief background... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimrod
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux dig command

When I use the linux dig command such as #dig yahoo.com it resolves but when I use the same command as root it gives me error "Segmentation Fault" Please advise I am completly baffled. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Errors compiling Bind

Hi all, Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, if it is, could some one point me to the right one please. I am trying to compile bind-9.5.1b1 on Solaris 10 Get the error when try to configure: checking for OpenSSL library... using OpenSSL from /usr/local/lib and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dig command output?

all, i am newbie to dns bind . Any help is very appreciated. I am using dig command to view the records in the config. I am expecting the following comamnds to display all the A (Address records) in the zone data file. my zone data file looks like this ------------------- $ORIGIN . $TTL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathab
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig query time

Hi Guys, I just need a confirmation if what think i know is right . dig yahoo.com ; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> yahoo.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27410 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtomar
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

The dig command

Can I use two different DNS servers in the one command in the form of primary and secondary. Take this for example: dig @<primaryAddress> @<secondaryAddress> MX domain.tld So if primary address is down, it will use the secondary address as a backup. It seems to work when testing, but thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil_is_ere
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DIG uses localhost

Hi, I have these entries in the /etc/esolv.conf: ------------ domain xxxxxx search yyyyyy nameserver 127.0.0.1 nameserver aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nameserver bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ------------- When I use 'dig' or 'nslookup' command, like 'dig yahoo.com' it uses the localhost as the server. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dig match

Hi, I am testing some code to match a grep to see if one of the dns server exists but it does not seem to match: ERROR: ======= CRITICAL: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com NOT found CODE: ===== if ; then echo "OK: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com exists" else echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl dig script

Experts - I was hoping someone could help me out with the logic on this perl script. I'm trying to run some dig commands and parse in such a way as to group them together. Here's what I have so far. #!/usr/bin/perl system(clear); my @host = qw/yahoo.com google.com /; foreach... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies
NSLOOKUP(1)							       BIND9							       NSLOOKUP(1)

NAME
nslookup - query Internet name servers interactively SYNOPSIS
nslookup [-option] [name | -] [server] DESCRIPTION
Nslookup is a program to query Internet domain name servers. Nslookup has two modes: interactive and non-interactive. Interactive mode allows the user to query name servers for information about various hosts and domains or to print a list of hosts in a domain. Non-interactive mode is used to print just the name and requested information for a host or domain. ARGUMENTS
Interactive mode is entered in the following cases: 1. when no arguments are given (the default name server will be used) 2. when the first argument is a hyphen (-) and the second argument is the host name or Internet address of a name server. Non-interactive mode is used when the name or Internet address of the host to be looked up is given as the first argument. The optional second argument specifies the host name or address of a name server. Options can also be specified on the command line if they precede the arguments and are prefixed with a hyphen. For example, to change the default query type to host information, and the initial timeout to 10 seconds, type: nslookup -query=hinfo -timeout=10 The -version option causes nslookup to print the version number and immediately exits. INTERACTIVE COMMANDS
host [server] Look up information for host using the current default server or using server, if specified. If host is an Internet address and the query type is A or PTR, the name of the host is returned. If host is a name and does not have a trailing period, the search list is used to qualify the name. To look up a host not in the current domain, append a period to the name. server domain lserver domain Change the default server to domain; lserver uses the initial server to look up information about domain, while server uses the current default server. If an authoritative answer can't be found, the names of servers that might have the answer are returned. root not implemented finger not implemented ls not implemented view not implemented help not implemented ? not implemented exit Exits the program. set keyword[=value] This command is used to change state information that affects the lookups. Valid keywords are: all Prints the current values of the frequently used options to set. Information about the current default server and host is also printed. class=value Change the query class to one of: IN the Internet class CH the Chaos class HS the Hesiod class ANY wildcard The class specifies the protocol group of the information. (Default = IN; abbreviation = cl) [no]debug Turn on or off the display of the full response packet and any intermediate response packets when searching. (Default = nodebug; abbreviation = [no]deb) [no]d2 Turn debugging mode on or off. This displays more about what nslookup is doing. (Default = nod2) domain=name Sets the search list to name. [no]search If the lookup request contains at least one period but doesn't end with a trailing period, append the domain names in the domain search list to the request until an answer is received. (Default = search) port=value Change the default TCP/UDP name server port to value. (Default = 53; abbreviation = po) querytype=value type=value Change the type of the information query. (Default = A; abbreviations = q, ty) [no]recurse Tell the name server to query other servers if it does not have the information. (Default = recurse; abbreviation = [no]rec) ndots=number Set the number of dots (label separators) in a domain that will disable searching. Absolute names always stop searching. retry=number Set the number of retries to number. timeout=number Change the initial timeout interval for waiting for a reply to number seconds. [no]vc Always use a virtual circuit when sending requests to the server. (Default = novc) [no]fail Try the next nameserver if a nameserver responds with SERVFAIL or a referral (nofail) or terminate query (fail) on such a response. (Default = nofail) RETURN VALUES
nslookup returns with an exit status of 1 if any query failed, and 0 otherwise. FILES
/etc/resolv.conf SEE ALSO
dig(1), host(1), named(8). AUTHOR
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004-2007, 2010, 2013-2017 Internet Systems Consortium, Inc. ("ISC") ISC
2014-01-24 NSLOOKUP(1)