Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BIND and dig errors
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers BIND and dig errors Post 12016 by sam_pointer on Monday 17th of December 2001 09:57:39 AM
Old 12-17-2001
Data BIND and dig errors

Hi all, I'm running BIND 9.1.3 and the accompanying `dig and nslookup' on a vanilla Redhat 7.2 Linux box.

I've produced all of my Zone data and config files (I used h2n with some manual tweaks to do this, as some >= v8.2 BIND features aren't properly supported as far as I can see).

Im my resolv.conf I have I have the following 2 lines (the hostname is dns1a.company.com and it's IP address is 123.123.123.123):

domain company.com
namerserver 123.123.123.123

When I try to do a lookup, say`dig www.yahoo.com` I get the error message:

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

My question is this: is this error message refering to the fact that nslookup cannot find my newly-installed local named, or that it can't being querying *other* nameservers for information about www.yahoo.com

Any help would be appreciated. I'm here to learn, so hints would be helpful (although answers are always nice :-).

Thanks in advance... Sam.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig

what is dig? Is it just a advanced type of nslookup? how to use it? //nicke:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nicke30
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX - what script to dig into to

First I would like to thank you for your time in running a great Forum! Background - Windows/ASP/VB COM/SQL Server programmer/Webmaster. Desire - To build similar skillset on UNIX. I am looking at learning Perl or Python (maybe Jython due to connection to Java). I have a brief background... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimrod
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux dig command

When I use the linux dig command such as #dig yahoo.com it resolves but when I use the same command as root it gives me error "Segmentation Fault" Please advise I am completly baffled. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Errors compiling Bind

Hi all, Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, if it is, could some one point me to the right one please. I am trying to compile bind-9.5.1b1 on Solaris 10 Get the error when try to configure: checking for OpenSSL library... using OpenSSL from /usr/local/lib and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dig command output?

all, i am newbie to dns bind . Any help is very appreciated. I am using dig command to view the records in the config. I am expecting the following comamnds to display all the A (Address records) in the zone data file. my zone data file looks like this ------------------- $ORIGIN . $TTL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathab
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig query time

Hi Guys, I just need a confirmation if what think i know is right . dig yahoo.com ; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> yahoo.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27410 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtomar
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

The dig command

Can I use two different DNS servers in the one command in the form of primary and secondary. Take this for example: dig @<primaryAddress> @<secondaryAddress> MX domain.tld So if primary address is down, it will use the secondary address as a backup. It seems to work when testing, but thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil_is_ere
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DIG uses localhost

Hi, I have these entries in the /etc/esolv.conf: ------------ domain xxxxxx search yyyyyy nameserver 127.0.0.1 nameserver aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nameserver bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ------------- When I use 'dig' or 'nslookup' command, like 'dig yahoo.com' it uses the localhost as the server. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dig match

Hi, I am testing some code to match a grep to see if one of the dns server exists but it does not seem to match: ERROR: ======= CRITICAL: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com NOT found CODE: ===== if ; then echo "OK: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com exists" else echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl dig script

Experts - I was hoping someone could help me out with the logic on this perl script. I'm trying to run some dig commands and parse in such a way as to group them together. Here's what I have so far. #!/usr/bin/perl system(clear); my @host = qw/yahoo.com google.com /; foreach... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies
PMSPECLOCALPMDA(3)					     Library Functions Manual						PMSPECLOCALPMDA(3)

NAME
__pmSpecLocalPMDA - process command-line argument for the table of DSO PMDAs C SYNOPSIS
#include <pcp/pmapi.h> #include <pcp/impl.h> char *__pmSpecLocalPMDA(const char *spec); cc ... -lpcp DESCRIPTION
PCP contexts of type PM_CONTEXT_LOCAL are used by clients that wish to fetch metrics directly from one or more PMDAs on the local host without involving pmcd(1). __pmSpecLocalPMDA provides a convenience wrapper to be used by applications that wish to use a command line argument (usually with -K) to control the DSO PMDAs that are available for a PM_CONTEXT_LOCAL context. The spec argument specifies actions for one or more DSO PMDAs using up to four fields separated by commas (``,''), namely: - an opcode with one of the values add (add a new entry), del (delete an existing entry) or clear (clear all entries from the table). - the PMDA's domain number - the path to the PMDA DSO (may be absolute or relative to the $PCP_VAR_DIR/pmdas directory and the DSO suffix is optional), and - the name of the PMDA's initialization routine. All fields are required to add a new entry. To delete an entry the opcode is required plus either or both of the domain number and path fields. To clear all entries, only the opcode is required. If spec is parsed successfully, then __pmLocalPMDA(3) is called with the extracted arguments. RETURN VALUE
On success, __pmSpecLocalPMDA will return NULL. On error or failure, __pmSpecLocalPMDA will return a pointer to a static error message. EXAMPLES
Some examples of valid spec strings: clear Delete all entries from the DSO table. add,123,foo/foo_pmda,foo_init Add the ``foo'' PMDA using domain 123. The PMDA's DSO is most likely in below the directory $PCP_PMDAS_DIR and named foo/foo_pmda.so (for ELF-style platforms) or foo/foo_pmda.dylib (for BSD-style platforms) or fooo_pmda.dll (for Windows-style plat- forms). The initialization routine for the ``foo'' PMDA is foo_init(). del,123 Delete the entry for the DSO with domain 123. del,,foo/foo_pmda Delete the entry with a pathname to the DSO that matches foo/foo_pmda. del,123,foo/foo_pmda Delete the entry for the DSO with either domain 123 and/or a pathname to the DSO that matches foo/foo_pmda. SEE ALSO
PMAPI(3), __pmLocalPMDA(3) and pmNewContext(3). Performance Co-Pilot PMSPECLOCALPMDA(3)