Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BIND and dig errors
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers BIND and dig errors Post 12016 by sam_pointer on Monday 17th of December 2001 09:57:39 AM
Old 12-17-2001
Data BIND and dig errors

Hi all, I'm running BIND 9.1.3 and the accompanying `dig and nslookup' on a vanilla Redhat 7.2 Linux box.

I've produced all of my Zone data and config files (I used h2n with some manual tweaks to do this, as some >= v8.2 BIND features aren't properly supported as far as I can see).

Im my resolv.conf I have I have the following 2 lines (the hostname is dns1a.company.com and it's IP address is 123.123.123.123):

domain company.com
namerserver 123.123.123.123

When I try to do a lookup, say`dig www.yahoo.com` I get the error message:

;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

My question is this: is this error message refering to the fact that nslookup cannot find my newly-installed local named, or that it can't being querying *other* nameservers for information about www.yahoo.com

Any help would be appreciated. I'm here to learn, so hints would be helpful (although answers are always nice :-).

Thanks in advance... Sam.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig

what is dig? Is it just a advanced type of nslookup? how to use it? //nicke:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nicke30
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to UNIX - what script to dig into to

First I would like to thank you for your time in running a great Forum! Background - Windows/ASP/VB COM/SQL Server programmer/Webmaster. Desire - To build similar skillset on UNIX. I am looking at learning Perl or Python (maybe Jython due to connection to Java). I have a brief background... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimrod
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

linux dig command

When I use the linux dig command such as #dig yahoo.com it resolves but when I use the same command as root it gives me error "Segmentation Fault" Please advise I am completly baffled. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tirmazi
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Errors compiling Bind

Hi all, Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question, if it is, could some one point me to the right one please. I am trying to compile bind-9.5.1b1 on Solaris 10 Get the error when try to configure: checking for OpenSSL library... using OpenSSL from /usr/local/lib and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dig command output?

all, i am newbie to dns bind . Any help is very appreciated. I am using dig command to view the records in the config. I am expecting the following comamnds to display all the A (Address records) in the zone data file. my zone data file looks like this ------------------- $ORIGIN . $TTL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sujathab
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dig query time

Hi Guys, I just need a confirmation if what think i know is right . dig yahoo.com ; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> yahoo.com ;; global options: +cmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27410 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mtomar
1 Replies

7. IP Networking

The dig command

Can I use two different DNS servers in the one command in the form of primary and secondary. Take this for example: dig @<primaryAddress> @<secondaryAddress> MX domain.tld So if primary address is down, it will use the secondary address as a backup. It seems to work when testing, but thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neil_is_ere
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DIG uses localhost

Hi, I have these entries in the /etc/esolv.conf: ------------ domain xxxxxx search yyyyyy nameserver 127.0.0.1 nameserver aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa nameserver bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ------------- When I use 'dig' or 'nslookup' command, like 'dig yahoo.com' it uses the localhost as the server. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaandana
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dig match

Hi, I am testing some code to match a grep to see if one of the dns server exists but it does not seem to match: ERROR: ======= CRITICAL: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com NOT found CODE: ===== if ; then echo "OK: google.com DNS : ns3.google.com exists" else echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmccabe
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl dig script

Experts - I was hoping someone could help me out with the logic on this perl script. I'm trying to run some dig commands and parse in such a way as to group them together. Here's what I have so far. #!/usr/bin/perl system(clear); my @host = qw/yahoo.com google.com /; foreach... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
2 Replies
hesupd(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 hesupd(8)

Name
       hesupd - Hesiod update daemon for modifying BIND/Hesiod passwords

Syntax
Description
       The  Hesiod  update  daemon,  is a server that handles password change requests from the command and is run only on the BIND/Hesiod primary
       server serving the password database.  The daemon changes the password entries on the BIND/Hesiod primary server.

The primary server is identified by the host name alias, bindmaster, which must exist on the server's host entry  in  the  hosts  database.
       The bindsetup command adds the host name alias, bindmaster to the file if it does not already exist.

This  daemon is not run by default, nor can it be started up from the daemon.  If you want to enable remote password updating for BIND/Hes-
       iod, put an entry for in the file of the host serving as the primary server for the BIND/Hesiod file.  You can add the startup lines for to
       by running the command.

Hesiod keeps a log file, which records successful and unsuccessful password changes by uid.

Examples
       This following example shows lines you can add to in order to start the Hesiod update daemon at boot time.
	  [ -f /usr/etc/hesupd ] && {
	     /usr/etc/hesupd; echo -n ' hesupd' >/dev/console
	  }

Files
       Startup commands pertinent to a specific system

Log of password changes

Default BIND Files:

BIND/Hesiod passwd file

BIND hosts file

See Also
       bindsetup(8), passwd(1)
       Guide to the BIND/Hesiod Service