Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users link and unlink , urgently... Post 12009 by umonk on Monday 17th of December 2001 01:17:21 AM
Old 12-17-2001
Data link and unlink , urgently...

Hi all

I did something incorrectly about link command.
I try to make a link from a sub-dir to root dir, but I use the following command:
link / zzz

the result is sub-dir "zzz" was linked to "/"

Then I want to remove the "zzz" by using unlink command:
unlink zzz
It say that "Device busy"
I cannot rm nor rmdir. I can only rename it but cannot move it to any directory.

I try to boot to single user mode and try to unlink it again but it still device busy.

What happen to "zzz"
How can I delete the "zzz" without lost any content in my root dir?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mv: cannot unlink ????

Hello all, I have a script which runs every 15 minutes and moves all but latest 10 files from a directory (A) to Directory (B). Most of the times this job runs fine but sometimes it is giving "mv: cannot unlink {Target Directory name } : Permissions denied." Any help about this error msg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: super_duper_guy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl unlink question

Hi, I have a two lines of code both intend to perform the same task. unlink $CtrFile; system ("rm $CtrFile"); Both of which try to delete a certain file. However when I use the unlink command the file does not get deleted. When I use the "rm" system... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Accidentally did a unlink inet

I was trying to remove a symbolic link of /etc/hosts to /etc/inet/hosts well i forgot the command and in the /etc directory i did unlink inet and now i can not get into inet and it does not exist in /etc 1) what do i do to fix the inet directory 2) how do i link /etc/hosts to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Cron could not unlink FIFO

We are using Solaris 10 on tiny box. My issue is after server panic cron is not coming up, I've tried to manually restart cron but no luck. # cron stop cron could not unlink FIFO: no such file or directory ! cannot create fifo queue Thu Dec 17 11:20:17 2009 ! ******* CRON ABORTED *******... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patidarv
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unlink all files in a directory?

I had a directory like A/B/C and these are all what I did. cd A/B/C ln -s some_path/some_sub_dir/C/* . After this, I have around say 1000 files linked to my A/B/C directory. How can unlink all those files at one shot? The unlink command requires filename as an argument but what I need is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unlink and copy actual file

Hello, I have a set of directories, which has inside them, symbolic links to some files. What i would like to do is to covert the links into actual files, i.e. remove the link and copy the actual file here... I tried to see unlink command but i think all it does is delete the link, is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasbala
2 Replies

7. Programming

g++ fails to link to static library when compilation and link in single command

Hello All, I've encountered a strange behaviour from g++ that doesn't make sense to me. Maybe you can shed some light on it: I have a bunch of source files and want to compile them and link them with a static library liba.a located in /usr/local/lib64 into an executable Approach 1 works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magelord
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unlink multiple files

I wish to unlink multiple links, but man pages shows unlink - call the unlink function to remove the specified file let's linked are in number sequence and I'm doing unlink `echo {1..500}` This fails.. Is their any other command to execute it or I need to call the unlink function that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: posix
1 Replies

9. Solaris

/var/adm/messages (insterface turned off/restored) and link up & link down message.

Hi All I am facing an issue with our new solaris machine. in /var/adm/messages Apr 22 16:43:05 Prod-App1 in.routed: interface net0 to 172.16.101.1 turned off Apr 22 16:43:33 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link up, 1000 Mbps, full duplex Apr 22 16:43:34 Prod-App1 mac: NOTICE: nxge0 link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: javeedkaleem
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to unlink files perl

Hi, I have a dir and some files as below (all have full perm) drwxrwxrwx 2 sam sam 4096 Aug 8 04:31 /home/sam/test $ ll /home/sam/test -rwxrwxrwx 1 sam sam 0 Aug 8 04:31 b1_2013_file.txt -rwxrwxrwx 1 sam sam 0 Aug 8 04:31 c1_2014_file.txtI want to go to this directory and delete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam05121988
2 Replies
APM(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    APM(8)

NAME
apm, zzz -- Advanced Power Management control program SYNOPSIS
apm [-abdlmsSvz] [-f sockname] zzz [-Sz] [-f sockname] DESCRIPTION
The apm program communicates with the Advanced Power Management (APM) daemon, apmd(8), making requests of the current power status or placing the system either into suspend or stand-by state. The apm tool is only installed on supported platforms. With no flags, apm displays the current power management state in verbose form. Available command-line flags are: -z Put the system into suspend (deep sleep) mode. -S Put the system into stand-by (light sleep) mode. -l Display the estimated battery lifetime in percent. -m Display the estimated battery lifetime in minutes. -b Display the battery status: 0 means high, 1 means low, 2 means critical, 3 means charging, 4 means absent, and 255 means unknown. -a Display the external charger (A/C status): 0 means disconnected, 1 means connected, 2 means backup power source, and 255 means unknown. -s Display if power management is enabled. -v Request more verbose description of the displayed states. -f sockname Set the name of the socket via which to contact apmd(8) to sockname. -d Do not communicate with the APM daemon; attempt instead to manipulate the APM control device directly. The zzz variant of this command is an alternative for suspending the system. With no arguments, zzz places the system into suspend mode. The command line flags serve the same purpose as for the apm variant of this command. This command does not wait for positive confirmation that the requested mode has been entered; to do so would mean the command does not return until the system resumes from its sleep state. FILES
/var/run/apmdev is the default UNIX-domain socket used for communication with apmd(8). The -f flag may be used to specify an alternate socket name. The protection modes on this socket govern which users may access the APM functions. /dev/apmctl is the control device which is used when the -d flag is specified; it must be writable for the -d flag to work successfully. /dev/apm is the status device used when the socket is not accessible; it must be readable to provide current APM status. SEE ALSO
acpi(4), apm(4), apmd(8) Intel Corporation and Microsoft Corporation, Advanced Power Management (APM) BIOS Interface Specification, Revision 1.2, February 1996. HISTORY
The apm command appeared in NetBSD 1.3. The APM specification first appeared in 1992. The last update to the standard was made in 1996 - the same year when it was superceded by the ACPI 1.0 standard. Thereafter power management on IBM-compatible personal computers has relied on ACPI, implemented in NetBSD by the acpi(4) subsystem. The acpi(4) provides an emulation layer for the legacy apm. BSD
March 20, 2010 BSD