Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Directory properties
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Directory properties Post 10749 by rwb1959 on Tuesday 20th of November 2001 01:14:20 PM
Old 11-20-2001
From your message, I assume you have
terminal access via SSH to your system.
You can use...

chmod(1) to change permission bits
chown(1) to change the owner
chgrp(1) to change the group

check the "man" pages for these commands for
all the details and options.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do properties effect script?

Hi, I have noticed that rm -if will perform completely different to rm -fi. Whats the pattern of how I put my options to the script in relation to how it will act. i.e rm -fi treat the remove as interative but rm -if treats it as forced Thansk, Chris. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chiefos
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting image properties

How can I get heigth and width of an image file? It's possible to do without ImageMagick or other third libraries?? Thank you very much (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List of files in sub directory along with their properties

How to view the list of the files in the sub directory along with their properties? I mean <folder1> ........<folder11> ..............<folder111> ......................MyFile_1111.txt ......................MyFile_1112.txt ..............<folder112> ......................MyFile_1121.txt... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravikirankethe
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

properties for vi

Hi, I have a simple problem in vi of which I dont know the solution. I have a file of 2000 lines. But when I open the file in vi, it only displays 20 lines and I have to use ctrl-f to see next lines. How do change the screen settings in vi? I want to see screen full text. stty rows... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Properties

Hi All, I have a code below but i have problems trying to execute "cat $jpg". Can anybody give me any advise? Is there something wrong with my syntax ? #!/bin/csh set qqq = 123 set www = 456 set jpg = ( $qqq $www ) cat $jpg Output: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

Depot file properties

Hi How can we identify the informations like Author, meta data, dependency and other information from a depot file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sethumadhavan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File properties

Hi , I do have a line in my code as follows: if ] ; then ... else ... fi What does the -z does ? Similarly there is -s in some other part of the code. I guess there are many options like this.. Can anybody please tell what all options are available and what do they mean ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risshanth
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Pop up Window Properties

Hi, I have been tasked to migrate a test package my company developed from a Solaris 4 O/S to a new machine running Solaris 8. After many tweaks to paths etc we finally got it running but we have one problem which I am unable to solve. While the application is running a user selected menu... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JustinPyfrom
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading in properties file

Hi Am new to this scripting stuff so bear with me. I got a script made now that reads in a properties file. The properties file is in the following format: 256= Bos, Sea, FRa 128= HEL I want to be able to read in each line of the file and split out the letter fields by the numbered field. This... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
2 Replies
CHGRP(3)								 1								  CHGRP(3)

chgrp - Changes file group

SYNOPSIS
bool chgrp (string $filename, mixed $group) DESCRIPTION
Attempts to change the group of the file $filename to $group. Only the superuser may change the group of a file arbitrarily; other users may change the group of a file to any group of which that user is a member. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. o $group - A group name or number. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Changing a file's group <?php $filename = 'shared_file.txt'; $format = "%s's Group ID @ %s: %d "; printf($format, $filename, date('r'), filegroup($filename)); chgrp($filename, 8); clearstatcache(); // do not cache filegroup() results printf($format, $filename, date('r'), filegroup($filename)); ?> NOTES
Note This function will not work on remote files as the file to be examined must be accessible via the server's filesystem. Note When safe mode is enabled, PHP checks whether the files or directories being operated upon have the same UID (owner) as the script that is being executed. SEE ALSO
chown(3), chmod(3). PHP Documentation Group CHGRP(3)