Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep tab
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep tab Post 10276 by AkumaTay on Sunday 11th of November 2001 11:39:06 PM
Old 11-12-2001
grep tab

I want to grep "xxx(tab)iii" but dunno the way to do it.

I've tried : grep "xxx\tiii" * , but it dont works.
Is there anyone that can help me? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to grep for blank records (space,tab,/n)?

I want to exclude (-v) blank records from a file before analysing it. I know I can use '^]$' for spaces and tabs but how do you look for lines that have nothing (/n or line feed) ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using Grep with a tab

how can i use grep to search a file with a tab, for example grep -l "Text<TAB>Text" *.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adriel
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why the <tab> could be not recognized in grep and sed?

I try to remove empty lines from file and use next: > cat fl.dat|grep -v '^*$' or cat fl.dat|sed '/^*$/d' 'grep' does not removes lines with tabs, 'sed' - lines with <tab> and with <spc> Why it could be? Is there any option/env-var should I check? Thank you Alex (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else

Hi Guys, I need to set the value of $7 to zero in case $7 is NULL. I've tried the below command but doesn't work. Any ideas. thanks guys. MEM=`ps v $PPID| grep -i db2 | grep -v grep| awk '{ if ( $7 ~ " " ) { print 0 } else { print $7}}' ` Harby. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to parse (or grep) a number from a datafile and write it to tab limited file

Hi All, I have a folder that contain 100's of subfolders namely: Main folder -> GHFG - Subfoders ->10 100 234 102 345 .. .. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove tab

Hi, I have a file and it is tab delimited. I have to remove the tab and add space after the string "GET" if tab it exists. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tab delimited file that is not tab delimited.

Hi Forum I have a tab delimited file that opens well in Openoffice calc (excel). But when I perform any operation in command line, it reads the file incorrectly. When I 'save As' the same file in office as tab delimited then it works fine. The file that I think is tab delimited is actually... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: imlearning
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l`

i have this line of code that looks for the same file if it is currently running and returns the count. `ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh | grep -v grep | wc -l` basically it is assigned to a variable ISRUNNING=`ps -eaf -o args | grep -i sfs_pcard_load_file.ksh |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep solutions tab-delimited file

Hello, I am trying to find a solution to problem that's proving to be beyond my newbie skills. The below files comes from a genetics study. File 1 describes a position on the genome and file 2 does the same but is formatted differently and has more information. I am trying to match all lines in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: andmal
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace a column in tab delimited file with column in other tab delimited file,based on match

Hello Everyone.. I want to replace the retail col from FileI with cstp1 col from FileP if the strpno matches in both files FileP.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: YogeshG
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)