Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users unix top command (memory usage) Post 102220 by Nemesis on Thursday 16th of March 2006 09:57:58 AM
Old 03-16-2006
Tools RE: memory usage

Top isn't showing you info on wired pages (pages in use that can't be used for paging).

Use "vmstat -P" to get a breakdown on memory usage.

Total memory = (Active Pages + UBC Pages + Wired Pages + Free Pages) * 8192/1048576

Top's act = (Active Pages + UBC PAges) * 8192/1048576
Top's Free = Free Pages * 8192/1048576

Use "swapon -s" for swap used/total, and "vmstat -s" for detailed info about swap activity.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get system memory usage like top

Hello all im working on sunos machine that dont have the top installed and can't be install , now i need to get information similar to what top gives me about the cpu usage and so can it be done somehow else where ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top command + %CPU usage exceeds 100%?

Hi there. I was looking at the output from running top and for short amounts of time, when I see all the process running and add up the values in the %CPU column the value exceeds 100% (I just add them quickly in my head). I assume that if I were to add up all my processes in the entire list,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl1976
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Top Command and sorting by CPU Usage

Ok, so I am using the Top command on my linux VPS to try and see the processes using the most CPU %. I hit the P to sort by CPU % but it wants to sort them from lowest to highest (ascending). My Telnet-SSH screen is only about 60 rows high so the processes with the highest CPU % usage are at the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: davemehta
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory usage, free and used, using sar, top and vmstat in Solaris zone/container

Hi all, I have a server running an Oracle database that is part of a Solaris M5000 container. Presumably this is referred to as a zone within a cluster, not sure if I get the terminology right. Anyway, a third-party manages the zone and unfortunately is not "helpful/friendly" to assist me on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Solaris

HELP - memory usage on Solaris : ps -efl and top

Hi all, OS Version: SunOS <hostname> 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6340 I need some expert guidance on investigating memory usage on Solaris. I want to know whether am interpreting the output from ps -efl correctly and whether the command top is showing the right... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO - Total memory and CPU usage ... without top?

Hi all, Is it possible to get total memory usage and free memory usage without top? By Googling I found for total memory usage, use vmstat, for CPU, use mpstat, for disk I/O use iostat, is this correct? Will using sar gives the same result as ALL of these three (3) commands? What about if I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

10. Linux

Unkown memory usage, top doesn't know

Hi, Yersterday I started monitoring my homeserver memory consumition due some errors found in the system (network hangs). I've detected almost all the memory used (~10 MB free from 1GB). First I thought it was because of the MySQL configuration, so I monitored it with top and found it wasn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nefeli
6 Replies
vmstat(1)						      General Commands Manual							 vmstat(1)

NAME
vmstat - Displays virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vmstat interval [count] vmstat [-D | -f | -i | -M | -p | -P | -r rad_id | -R | -s | -w] The vmstat command displays system statistics for virtual memory, processes, trap, and CPU activity. OPTIONS
Displays debugging information if kmem_debug is set. Displays only statistics about the number of forks since system startup (see the fork() call). Displays the following virtual memory statistics: # vmstat -i Virtual Memory Statistics: (pagesize = 8192) procs memory pages intr cpu r w u act free wire fault cow zero react pin pout in sy cs us sy id 2 82 29 23K 12K 4906 3M 963K 834K 620 710K 0 73 30 391 0 2 98 Displays information about memory usage by buckets. This information can be used for kernel debugging. Displays statistics for the vm and ubc subsystems for all Resource Affinity Domains (RADs). Typical output (derived from a single-RAD, single-CPU server) is shown in the following example: # vmstat -p Total RADs: 1 Total CPUs: 1 Total Ticks: 512 36441297 VM faults 1677 VM kfaults 2115850 VM cowcopy 1677 VM kzfod 0 VM pagesteal 0 VM prewrites 0 VM anon_prewrites 0 VM swap_prewrites 0 VM cleanrecs 0 VM swaprecs 0 VM lmsteal 0 VM lmstealwins 0 VM ffl 0 VM pout_scan 0 VM pout_pagescan 0 VM pout_call 0 VM pout 0 VM pout_target 0 VM pout_burst 12548 VM act_scans 12548 VM act_moves 0 VM lock_fails 0 VM migrations 2547665 VM TOT cowfaults 3813949 VM TOT zfod 0 VM TOT iowrites 0 VM TOT pgwrites 26823910 VM TOT ioreads 0 VM TOT pgreads 1423 VM TOT reactivate 0 UBC allocscans 0 UBC alloceol 0 UBC allocpush 0 UBC allocstole 0 UBC allocseq 0 UBC wacalls 0 UBC wascans 0 UBC waeol 0 UBC prges 0 UBC prgscans 0 UBC prgeol 0 UBC prgburst 0 UBC prgfree 0 UBC mmapfree 79566 UBC wdeny 0 UBC hardsteals 0 UBC stealscans 0 UBC dirtywra 0 UBC reclaim 0 UBC pagesteal 42127497 UBC lookups 41985615 UBC lookuphits 0 UBC ffl 0 UBC lmsteal 0 UBC lmstealwins 0 UBC seqdrain 144957 UBC TOT alloc 0 UBC TOT iowrites 0 UBC TOT reactivate 0 UBC TOT pgwrites Displays the following accumulated statistics about physical memory use: Sum of the total physical memory in the machine. This statistic describes how physical memory is clustered. It shows where memory is being used (pal, os, and nvram), the starting and ending pageframes, and the total amount of memory used. This statistic shows a breakdown of physical memory used by the operating system (such as text, data, and bss). It contains the starting and ending pageframes, memory usage per category, and total memory used. This statistic provides snap- shot of where managed physical memory resides when the vmstat command was run. It indicates the the number of pages in the free, active and inactive queues, the number of wired pages, and the number of pages held in the unified buffer cache (UBC). This statistic describes the physical pages that are wired in memory. The fields show the number of wired pages in anonymous(vm) memory, the UBC, pages used for meta data, the kernel malloc pools, contiguous memory, and pages used for page table entries (ptes). The display typically shows: vm and ubc wired pages meta data, malloc, and contig pages user, kernel, and free ptepages. Displays virtual memory statistics for the specified Resource Affinity Domain (RAD) only. The rad_id is an integer assigned automatically by the system. Typical output is shown in the follow- ing example, which has been reformatted for ease of reference: # vmstat -r 0 Virtual Memory Statistics: (pagesize = 8192) procs memory pages RAD r w u st sw act actv actu acti free wire wirv wiru fault 0 2 157 27 0 0 31K 4928 18K 8813 24K 6544 3015 0 36M intr cpu cow zero react pin pout in sy cs us sy id 2M 3M 1423 26M 0 102 249 229 0 1 99 Displays information for all Resource Affinity Domains (RADs). Typical output is shown under the -r option. Displays the following accumulated statistics along with the page size: Total number of pages that are currently in use but can be used for paging. Total number of VM pages that are allocated but are most likely to be used for paging. Total number of unreferenced (clean) pages that are available for use. Total number of pages that are currently in use and cannot be used for paging (not a real list). Number of address translation faults that have occurred. Number of copy-on-write page faults, which occur if the requested page is shared by a parent process and one or more child processes (using the fork function) and if one of the processes needs to modify the page. In this case, VM loads a new address into the translation buffer and copies the contents of the requested page into the new address for modification by the process. Number of zero-filled-on-demand page faults, which occur if VM cannot find the page in the inter- nal data structures and if the requested page is new and has never been referenced. In this case, VM initializes a physical page (the con- tents of the page are zeroed out) and loads the address into the page table. Number of pages that have been faulted while on the inactive list. Number of requests for pages from a pager. Number of pages that have been paged out. Number of task and thread context switches. Number of nonclock device interrupts. Number of system calls called. Appends iowait information to the default output as follows:. Vir- tual Memory Statistics: (pagesize = 8192) procs memory pages intr cpu r w u act free wire fault cow pin pout in sy cs us sy id iowait 2 82 29 23K 12K 4905 3M 963K 710K 0 73 30 391 0 2 98 0 DESCRIPTION
The value of interval is a time in seconds, causing vmstat to display statistics at the specified interval. The first report generated includes statistics for the time since the last reboot. Each subsequent report is for the specified interval only. If you specify count after interval, it specifies the number of reports generated. For example, vmstat 1 10 produces 10 reports at 1-second intervals. You cannot specify count without interval, since the first numeric argument to vmstat is always assumed to be interval. At any time, system memory can be in use by the kernel in kseg, wired (pages that are currently in use and cannot be used for paging), on the active list (pages that are currently in use but can be used for paging), on the inactive list (pages that are allocated but are most likely to be used for paging), on the free list (pages that are clean and available for use), or used by the Unified Buffer Cache (UBC). The vmstat command does not report on the memory in kseg and memory used by the UBC. The following values are displayed: Process information: Number of threads that are running or are runnable. Number of threads waiting interruptibly. Number of threads wait- ing uninterruptibly. Virtual memory information: Total number of pages on the active list, the inactive list (pages that are allocated but are most likely to be used for paging), and the Unified Buffer Cache (UBC) least recently used (LRU) list. Total number of pages that are clean and available for use. Total number of pages that are currently in use and cannot be used for paging (not a real list). Number of address translation faults that have occurred. Number of copy-on-write page faults, which occur if the requested page is shared by a parent process and one or more child processes (using the fork function) and if one of the processes needs to modify the page. In this case, VM loads a new address into the translation buffer and copies the contents of the requested page into the new address for modification by the process. Number of zero-filled-on-demand page faults, which occur if VM cannot find the page in the internal data structures and if the requested page is new and has never been referenced. In this case, VM initializes a physical page (the contents of the page are zeroed out) and loads the address into the page table. Number of pages that have been faulted while on the inactive list. Number of requests for pages from a pager. Number of pages that have been paged out. Interrupt information: Number of nonclock device interrupts per second. Number of system calls called per second. Number of task and thread context switches per second. CPU information: Percentage of user time for normal and priority processes. Percentage of system time. Percentage of idle time. Percent- age of iowait. If the -w option is not specified, the iowait time is included in the id statistic. Specify -f to display fork statistics only. Specify -s for a single display of accumulated statistics, as well as page size. SEE ALSO
Commands: iostat(1), sysman(8) vmstat(1)