Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users unix top command (memory usage) Post 102220 by Nemesis on Thursday 16th of March 2006 09:57:58 AM
Old 03-16-2006
Tools RE: memory usage

Top isn't showing you info on wired pages (pages in use that can't be used for paging).

Use "vmstat -P" to get a breakdown on memory usage.

Total memory = (Active Pages + UBC Pages + Wired Pages + Free Pages) * 8192/1048576

Top's act = (Active Pages + UBC PAges) * 8192/1048576
Top's Free = Free Pages * 8192/1048576

Use "swapon -s" for swap used/total, and "vmstat -s" for detailed info about swap activity.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get system memory usage like top

Hello all im working on sunos machine that dont have the top installed and can't be install , now i need to get information similar to what top gives me about the cpu usage and so can it be done somehow else where ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top command + %CPU usage exceeds 100%?

Hi there. I was looking at the output from running top and for short amounts of time, when I see all the process running and add up the values in the %CPU column the value exceeds 100% (I just add them quickly in my head). I assume that if I were to add up all my processes in the entire list,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl1976
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Top Command and sorting by CPU Usage

Ok, so I am using the Top command on my linux VPS to try and see the processes using the most CPU %. I hit the P to sort by CPU % but it wants to sort them from lowest to highest (ascending). My Telnet-SSH screen is only about 60 rows high so the processes with the highest CPU % usage are at the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: davemehta
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory usage, free and used, using sar, top and vmstat in Solaris zone/container

Hi all, I have a server running an Oracle database that is part of a Solaris M5000 container. Presumably this is referred to as a zone within a cluster, not sure if I get the terminology right. Anyway, a third-party manages the zone and unfortunately is not "helpful/friendly" to assist me on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Solaris

HELP - memory usage on Solaris : ps -efl and top

Hi all, OS Version: SunOS <hostname> 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6340 I need some expert guidance on investigating memory usage on Solaris. I want to know whether am interpreting the output from ps -efl correctly and whether the command top is showing the right... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO - Total memory and CPU usage ... without top?

Hi all, Is it possible to get total memory usage and free memory usage without top? By Googling I found for total memory usage, use vmstat, for CPU, use mpstat, for disk I/O use iostat, is this correct? Will using sar gives the same result as ALL of these three (3) commands? What about if I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

10. Linux

Unkown memory usage, top doesn't know

Hi, Yersterday I started monitoring my homeserver memory consumition due some errors found in the system (network hangs). I've detected almost all the memory used (~10 MB free from 1GB). First I thought it was because of the MySQL configuration, so I monitored it with top and found it wasn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nefeli
6 Replies
PS(1)							      General Commands Manual							     PS(1)

NAME
ps - process status SYNOPSIS
ps [ acgklnrtuwxU# [ core [ swap [ system ] ] ] ] DESCRIPTION
Ps prints certain indicia about active processes. To get a complete printout on the console or lpr, use ``ps axlw'' For a quick snapshot of system activity, ``ps au'' is recommended. A hyphen may precede options with no effect. The following options may be specified. a asks for information about all processes with terminals (ordinarily only one's own processes are displayed). c causes only the comm field to be displayed instead of the arguments. (The comm field is the tail of the path name of the file the process last exec'ed.) This option speeds up ps somewhat and reduces the amount of output. It is also more reliable since the process can't scribble on top of it. g asks for all processes. Without this option, ps only prints ``interesting'' processes. Processes are deemed to be uninteresting if they are process group leaders, or if their arguments begin with a `-'. This normally eliminates shells and getty processes. k causes the file /usr/sys/core is used in place of /dev/kmem and /dev/mem. This is used for postmortem system debugging. l asks for a long listing. The short listing contains the user name, process ID, tty, the cumulative execution time of the process and an approximation to the command line. n asks for numeric rather than symbolic wchans. This flag implies the ``l'' flag. r asks for ``raw'' output. A non-human readable sequence of structures is output on the standard output. There is one structure for each process, the format is defined by <psout.h> tttyname restricts output to processes whose controlling tty is the specified ttyname (which should be specified as printed by ps, including t? for processes with no tty). This option must be the last one given. u A user oriented output is produced. This includes the name of the owner of the process, process id, nice value, size, tty, cpu time used, and the command. w tells ps you are on a wide terminal (132 columns). Ps normally assumes you are on an 80 column terminal. This information is used to decide how much of long commands to print. The w option may be repeated, e.g. ww, and the entire command, up to 128 characters, will be printed without regard to terminal width. x asks even about processes with no terminal. U causes ps to update a private database where is keeps system information. Thus ``ps -U'' should be included in the /etc/rc file. # A process number may be given, (indicated here by #), in which case the output is restricted to that process. This option must also be last. A second argument tells ps where to look for core if the k option is given, instead of /usr/sys/core. A third argument is the name of a swap file to use instead of the default /dev/swap. If a fourth argument is given, it is taken to be the file containing the system's namelist. Otherwise, ``/unix'' is used. The output is sorted by tty, then by process ID. The long listing is columnar and contains F Flags associated with the process. These are defined by #define lines in /usr/include/sys/proc.h. S The state of the process. 0: nonexistent; S: sleeping; W: waiting; R: running; I: intermediate; Z: terminated; T: stopped. UID The user id of the process owner. PID The process ID of the process; as in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name. PPID The process ID of the parent process. CPU Processor utilization for scheduling. PRI The priority of the process; high numbers mean low priority. NICE Used in priority computation. ADDR The memory address of the process if resident, otherwise the disk address. SZ The size in blocks (512 bytes) of the memory image of the process. WCHAN The event for which the process is waiting or sleeping; if blank, the process is running. TTY The controlling tty for the process. TIME The cumulative execution time for the process. COMMAND The command and its arguments. A process that has exited and has a parent, but has not yet been waited for by the parent is marked <defunct>. Ps makes an educated guess as to the file name and arguments given when the process was created by examining memory or the swap area. The method is inherently some- what unreliable and in any event a process is entitled to destroy this information, so the names cannot be counted on too much. FILES
/unix system namelist /dev/kmem kernel memory /dev/swap swap device /usr/sys/core core file /dev searched to find swap device and tty names /var/run/psdatabase system namelist and device information SEE ALSO
kill(1), w(1), pstat(8) BUGS
Things can change while ps is running; the picture it gives is only a close approximation to reality. Some processes, typically those in the background, are printed with null or garbaged arguments, even though the process has not swapped. (Sometimes ps even loses on its own arguments!) In these cases, the name of the command is printed in parentheses. When automatic crash dumps are enabled, /usr/sys/core is not a sensible default core file name. 3rd Berkeley Distribution PS(1)