Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users unix top command (memory usage) Post 102220 by Nemesis on Thursday 16th of March 2006 09:57:58 AM
Old 03-16-2006
Tools RE: memory usage

Top isn't showing you info on wired pages (pages in use that can't be used for paging).

Use "vmstat -P" to get a breakdown on memory usage.

Total memory = (Active Pages + UBC Pages + Wired Pages + Free Pages) * 8192/1048576

Top's act = (Active Pages + UBC PAges) * 8192/1048576
Top's Free = Free Pages * 8192/1048576

Use "swapon -s" for swap used/total, and "vmstat -s" for detailed info about swap activity.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get system memory usage like top

Hello all im working on sunos machine that dont have the top installed and can't be install , now i need to get information similar to what top gives me about the cpu usage and so can it be done somehow else where ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top command + %CPU usage exceeds 100%?

Hi there. I was looking at the output from running top and for short amounts of time, when I see all the process running and add up the values in the %CPU column the value exceeds 100% (I just add them quickly in my head). I assume that if I were to add up all my processes in the entire list,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl1976
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Top Command and sorting by CPU Usage

Ok, so I am using the Top command on my linux VPS to try and see the processes using the most CPU %. I hit the P to sort by CPU % but it wants to sort them from lowest to highest (ascending). My Telnet-SSH screen is only about 60 rows high so the processes with the highest CPU % usage are at the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: davemehta
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory usage, free and used, using sar, top and vmstat in Solaris zone/container

Hi all, I have a server running an Oracle database that is part of a Solaris M5000 container. Presumably this is referred to as a zone within a cluster, not sure if I get the terminology right. Anyway, a third-party manages the zone and unfortunately is not "helpful/friendly" to assist me on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Solaris

HELP - memory usage on Solaris : ps -efl and top

Hi all, OS Version: SunOS <hostname> 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6340 I need some expert guidance on investigating memory usage on Solaris. I want to know whether am interpreting the output from ps -efl correctly and whether the command top is showing the right... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO - Total memory and CPU usage ... without top?

Hi all, Is it possible to get total memory usage and free memory usage without top? By Googling I found for total memory usage, use vmstat, for CPU, use mpstat, for disk I/O use iostat, is this correct? Will using sar gives the same result as ALL of these three (3) commands? What about if I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

10. Linux

Unkown memory usage, top doesn't know

Hi, Yersterday I started monitoring my homeserver memory consumition due some errors found in the system (network hangs). I've detected almost all the memory used (~10 MB free from 1GB). First I thought it was because of the MySQL configuration, so I monitored it with top and found it wasn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nefeli
6 Replies
passwd(5yp)															       passwd(5yp)

Name
       passwd - password file description with the Yellow Pages service implemented

Description
       The  file  stores  initial login information, including passwords for each user in the system.  Regardless of whether or not the system has
       the Yellow Pages service implemented, the file contains the following information:

Name (login name, contains no uppercase)
       Encrypted password
       Numerical user ID
       Numerical group ID
       User's real name, office, extension, home phone.
       Initial working directory
       Program to use as Shell

The name can contain an ampersand (&), meaning insert the login name.  This information is set by the command and used by the command.

This is an ASCII file.  Each field within each user's entry is separated from the next by a colon.  Each user is separated from the next by
       a new line.  If the password field is null, no password is demanded; if the shell field is null, the system defaults to the shell.

This  file resides in the directory.  Because of the encrypted passwords, it can and does have general read permission and can be used, for
       example, to map numerical user IDs to names.

Appropriate precautions must be taken to lock the file against simultaneous changes if it is to be edited with a text editor.  The  command
       does the necessary locking.

In  a Yellow Pages environment, the file can also have a line beginning with a plus (+), which means to incorporate entries from the Yellow
       Pages data base.  There are three styles of + entries: by itself, + means to insert the entire contents of the Yellow Pages  password  file
       at  that  point;  +name means to insert the entry (if any) for name from the Yellow Pages at that point; +@name means to insert the entries
       for all members of the network group name at that point.  If a + entry has a nonnull password, directory, gecos, or shell  field,  it  will
       override what is contained in the Yellow Pages.	The numerical user ID and group ID fields cannot be overridden.

Examples
       Here is a sample file:
       root:q.mJzTnu8icF.:0:10:Privileged Account:/:/bin/csh
       jcj:6k/7KCFRPNVXg:508:10:JC Javert:/usr2/jcj:/bin/csh
       +john:
       +@documentation:no-login:
       +:::Guest

In  this  example,  there  are  specific entries for users root and jcj, in case the Yellow Pages are temporarily out of service.  Alterna-
       tively, a user may need specific login information on a given system that differs from the information contained in the	Yellow	Pages  map
       for that user.  The user, john, will have his password entry in the Yellow Pages incorporated without change.  Anyone in the netgroup docu-
       mentation will have their password field disabled, and anyone else will be able to log in with their usual password, shell, and home direc-
       tory, but with a gecos field of Guest.

Files
See Also
       chfn(1), finger(1), login(1), passwd(1), crypt(3), getpwent(3), group(5), adduser(8), vipw(8)

passwd(5yp)