Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users unix top command (memory usage) Post 102185 by gfhgfnhhn on Thursday 16th of March 2006 07:11:37 AM
Old 03-16-2006
Error unix top command (memory usage)

in unix when i use top
i get an output like this:

load averages: 0.64, 0.57, 0.53 14:04:42
347 processes: 1 running, 1 waiting, 169 sleeping, 172 idle, 4 stopped
CPU states: 16.4% user, 2.8% nice, 7.6% system, 73.0% idle
Memory: Real: 1532M/3964M act/tot Virtual: 7767M/45341M use/tot Free: 75M

my question is why we dont get the total memory when we add Free memory
to actual memory?

1532(act)+75(free)!=3964 (total)
and
7767(use)+75(free)!=45431(total)

and my second question is:
what kind of information we can get from the first line
(load averages: 0.64, 0.57, 0.53 )

and lastly:
i have a system>> Compaq Tru64 UNIX V5.1B

how can i get information about swap activity?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get system memory usage like top

Hello all im working on sunos machine that dont have the top installed and can't be install , now i need to get information similar to what top gives me about the cpu usage and so can it be done somehow else where ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top command + %CPU usage exceeds 100%?

Hi there. I was looking at the output from running top and for short amounts of time, when I see all the process running and add up the values in the %CPU column the value exceeds 100% (I just add them quickly in my head). I assume that if I were to add up all my processes in the entire list,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Carl1976
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Top Command and sorting by CPU Usage

Ok, so I am using the Top command on my linux VPS to try and see the processes using the most CPU %. I hit the P to sort by CPU % but it wants to sort them from lowest to highest (ascending). My Telnet-SSH screen is only about 60 rows high so the processes with the highest CPU % usage are at the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: davemehta
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory usage, free and used, using sar, top and vmstat in Solaris zone/container

Hi all, I have a server running an Oracle database that is part of a Solaris M5000 container. Presumably this is referred to as a zone within a cluster, not sure if I get the terminology right. Anyway, a third-party manages the zone and unfortunately is not "helpful/friendly" to assist me on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. Solaris

HELP - memory usage on Solaris : ps -efl and top

Hi all, OS Version: SunOS <hostname> 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-T6340 I need some expert guidance on investigating memory usage on Solaris. I want to know whether am interpreting the output from ps -efl correctly and whether the command top is showing the right... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO - Total memory and CPU usage ... without top?

Hi all, Is it possible to get total memory usage and free memory usage without top? By Googling I found for total memory usage, use vmstat, for CPU, use mpstat, for disk I/O use iostat, is this correct? Will using sar gives the same result as ALL of these three (3) commands? What about if I... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to display the space usage (memory usage) of a specific directory.

Hi all, Can you please tell me the command, with which one can know the amount of space a specific directory has used. df -k . ---> Displays, the amount of space allocated, and used for a directory. du -k <dir name> - gives me the memory used of all the files inside <dir> But i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
2 Replies

10. Linux

Unkown memory usage, top doesn't know

Hi, Yersterday I started monitoring my homeserver memory consumition due some errors found in the system (network hangs). I've detected almost all the memory used (~10 MB free from 1GB). First I thought it was because of the MySQL configuration, so I monitored it with top and found it wasn't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nefeli
6 Replies
UPTIME(1)							   User Commands							 UPTIME(1)

NAME
uptime - Tell how long the system has been running. SYNOPSIS
uptime [options] DESCRIPTION
uptime gives a one line display of the following information. The current time, how long the system has been running, how many users are currently logged on, and the system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. This is the same information contained in the header line displayed by w(1). System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken over the three time intervals. Load averages are not normalized for the number of CPUs in a system, so a load average of 1 means a single CPU system is loaded all the time while on a 4 CPU system it means it was idle 75% of the time. OPTIONS
-p, --pretty show uptime in pretty format -h, --help display this help text -s, --since system up since, in yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS format -V, --version display version information and exit FILES
/var/run/utmp information about who is currently logged on /proc process information AUTHORS
uptime was written by Larry Greenfield <greenfie@gauss.rutgers.edu> and Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@sunsite.unc.edu> SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), utmp(5), w(1) REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng December 2012 UPTIME(1)