Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: print from windows
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users print from windows Post 102036 by maher2000@hotma on Wednesday 15th of March 2006 07:56:28 AM
Old 03-15-2006
PHP print from windows

I have a printer on sun solaris configured on a terminal server I want to print on this printer from windows xp or windows 2003 I put the devices that want to print in the hosts and hosts.lpd file
and the I use the comman lpr -S my_server -P unix_printer my_file
but the job didn't go . can I configure my server to make this printing or not?
also I identified the print unix service and the simple tcp/ip protocol on the windows machines

pls help

Best regards
Maher Habash

Last edited by maher2000@hotma; 03-15-2006 at 01:15 PM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Configure SCO Unix to print on windows base XP printer

Hi, I have done this year ago, and now I need to do it again, but did not remember how I do it. I have a slip printer on a windows xp workstation and i need to print from SCO unix application to that printer. I try to create a remote printer but the only option available is unix, the other to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: comsiconsa
0 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows Print Migrator 3.1

Has anyone used the above microsoft tool that creates a backup / cab file of printers & drivers on a PC. If so any had the following message - EnumPorts failed with 7a As a result no ports are backed up, any ideas ?? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
0 Replies

3. HP-UX

print parameters on windows

Hello I've been google'ing to try to find an answer to my question but can't seem to find it. What I want to do is to pass the email address of a user printing from the HP-UX to a printer attached to a Windows 2003. The printing is done using lp. I can see that the printjob on windows has... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacma
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

smbclient print while preserving windows printer settings?

I have successfully gotten AIX to print to a windows shared printer with this command: smbclient -U user%password -W domain -c "print file.ext" the only problem is: I have this print queue set up on the Windows side to overlay an image to all pages. When printing from samba, the overlay... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
2 Replies

5. SCO

print from windows xp

i have application of gestion instaleled in sco openserver but i want to config my printing in my windows xp name of my print is epson lq 2080 and it's instaled in windows xp thank all ;);):):b::b::b: i accede to my server sco open whith logiciel putty (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skambram
2 Replies

6. Programming

print C codes from Solaris 10, x86 to cygwin on Windows?

Sorry, I meant to type "porting C codes from Solaris 10, x86 to cygwin in Windows" I just installed cygwin 1.7 to my Windows PC. I have a C program that compiles fine using gcc on Solaris 10, x86. This C program contains system calls like: system ("ls -l > file.txt"); and system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: serendipity1276
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Setting up Solaris 10 to print to a windows print server

Guys, I have a issue that I am trying to rectify please advise. lpstat -t shows scheduler is running printer lext644 disabled since Mon Dec 02 19:48:18 2013. available.I have restarted the printer service and it shows online but the above says disabled. I have a lot of jobs in the print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrywhitejr
1 Replies

8. AIX

Print to Windows PDF printer from AIX

Hopefully this is the correct place to post this, if not please let me know. I am trying to find a way to print from AIX directly to a windows PDF printer. I don't really care if it is paid or freeware, I am just trying to get it to work. I did see a product called BullZip and I am going to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerangedNick
3 Replies
cups-lpd(8)							    Apple Inc.							       cups-lpd(8)

NAME
cups-lpd - receive print jobs and report printer status to lpd clients SYNOPSIS
cups-lpd [ -h hostname[:port] ] [ -n ] [ -o option=value ] DESCRIPTION
cups-lpd is the CUPS Line Printer Daemon ("LPD") mini-server that supports legacy client systems that use the LPD protocol. cups-lpd does not act as a standalone network daemon but instead operates using the Internet "super-server" inetd(8) or xinetd(8). If you are using inetd, add the following line to the inetd.conf file to enable the cups-lpd mini-server: printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd -o document-format=application/octet-stream Note: If you are using Solaris 10 or higher, you must run the inetdconv(1m) program to register the changes to the inetd.conf file. If you are using the newer xinetd(8) daemon, create a file named /etc/xinetd.d/cups containing the following lines: service printer { socket_type = stream protocol = tcp wait = no user = lp group = sys passenv = server = /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd server_args = -o document-format=application/octet-stream } OPTIONS
-h hostname[:port] Sets the CUPS server (and port) to use. -n Disables reverse address lookups; normally cups-lpd will try to discover the hostname of the client via a reverse DNS lookup. -o name=value Inserts options for all print queues. Most often this is used to disable the "l" filter so that remote print jobs are filtered as needed for printing; the examples in the previous section set the "document-format" option to "application/octet-stream" which forces autodetection of the print file format. PERFORMANCE
cups-lpd performs well with small numbers of clients and printers. However, since a new process is created for each connection and since each process must query the printing system before each job submission, it does not scale to larger configurations. We highly recommend that large configurations use the native IPP support provided by CUPS instead. SECURITY
cups-lpd currently does not perform any access control based on the settings in cupsd.conf(5) or in the hosts.allow(5) or hosts.deny(5) files used by TCP wrappers. Therefore, running cups-lpd on your server will allow any computer on your network (and perhaps the entire Internet) to print to your server. While xinetd has built-in access control support, you should use the TCP wrappers package with inetd to limit access to only those comput- ers that should be able to print through your server. cups-lpd is not enabled by the standard CUPS distribution. Please consult with your operating system vendor to determine whether it is enabled on your system. COMPATIBILITY
cups-lpd does not enforce the restricted source port number specified in RFC 1179, as using restricted ports does not prevent users from submitting print jobs. While this behavior is different than standard Berkeley LPD implementations, it should not affect normal client operations. The output of the status requests follows RFC 2569, Mapping between LPD and IPP Protocols. Since many LPD implementations stray from this definition, remote status reporting to LPD clients may be unreliable. SEE ALSO
cups(1), cupsd(8), inetconv(1m), inetd(8), xinetd(8), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 4 August 2008 CUPS cups-lpd(8)