Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to delete/remove directory in fastest way Post 101325 by getdpg on Tuesday 7th of March 2006 08:18:54 AM
Old 03-07-2006
how to delete/remove directory in fastest way

hello

i need help to remove directory . The directory is not empty ., it contains
several sub directories and files inside that..

total number of files in one directory is 12,24,446 .

rm -rf doesnt work . it is prompting for every file ..

i want to delete without prompting and fast way..

directory name is
2005-12-27
inside that
so different directories arethee

rm -rf 2005-12-27 .. ( it didnt work

pls suggest me .. or another fast way to delete the directory

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

smitty, remove user, remove directory as well..

hi, i am on aix. i used smitty to remove a user.. but then found that its directory still exists.... so i have to remove the directory manually... am i doing it the right way? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

fastest way to remove duplicates.

I have searched the FAQ - by using sort, duplicates, etc.... but I didn't get any articles or results on it. Currently, I am using: sort -u file1 > file2 to remove duplicates. For a file size of 1giga byte approx. time taken to remove duplicates is 1hr 21 mins. Is there any other faster way... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
15 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete two patterns and remove one pattern

Friends, I have .txt file with following format. START ABC|Prashant1|Patel1 ABC|Prashant2|Patel2 ABC|Prashant1|Patel1 ABC|Prashant2|Patel2 END I would like to do: 1) Delete line with START 2) Delete line with END 3) Remove ABC| 4) Delete duplicate records The following command... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppat7046
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove contents of directory, but not directory

What's the best way to delete everything in a directory, but not the directory itself, without using shell wildcards? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdc
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to delete line

I have a 5 GB text file(log/debug) I want to delete all lines containing 'TRACE' Command used sed -i '/TRACE/d' mylog.txt Is there any other fastest way to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnbach
1 Replies

6. AIX

Fastest way to count big amount of files in sub directory

Hi, what happened is we want to count all the files in a directory and inside this directory got many folders and so take long time to count it. Already run for about few minutes but still not done. The command we use to count is find . -type f | wc -l Just wondering if there is any other... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngaisteve1
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way to delete duplicates from a large filelist.....

OK I have two filelists...... The first is formatted like this.... /path/to/the/actual/file/location/filename.jpg and has up to a million records The second list shows filename.jpg where there is more then on instance. and has maybe up to 65,000 records I want to copy files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete from line and remove duplicates

My Input.....file1 ABCDE4435 Connected to 107.71.136.122 (SubNetwork=ONRM_RootMo_R SubNetwork=XYVLTN29CRBR99 MeContext=ABCDE4435 ManagedElement=1) ABCDE4478 Connected to 166.208.30.57 (SubNetwork=ONRM_RootMo_R SubNetwork=KLFMTN29CR0R04 MeContext=ABCDE4478 ManagedElement=1) ABCDE4478... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fastest way calculating directory

Hi expert, Is there any fastest way to calculate recursive directory, and I have total 600 directories have 100000 files and 10 directory approximately 9000000 - 10000000 each files per directory. currently using this command "du -k --max-depth=0" to get the size but very slow it take 24 hours... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rufino
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to delete to the list of files in a directory based on last created & delete them

Hi My directory structure is as below. dir1, dir2, dir3 I have the list of files to be deleted in the below path as below. /staging/retain_for_2years/Cleanup/log $ ls -lrt total 0 drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody nobody 256 Mar 01 16:15 01-MAR-2015_SPDBS2 drwxr-xr-x 2 root ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasadn
2 Replies
list directory(1m)														list directory(1m)

NAME
list directory - Displays a list of all the directories whose names match the specified directory name SYNOPSIS
cdscp list directory directory-name [with attribute-name = attribute-value] ARGUMENTS
The full name of a specific directory. The last simple name can contain wildcard characters. The name of a particular attribute. The value of a particular attribute. DESCRIPTION
The list directory command displays a list of all the directories whose names match the specified directory name. The last simple name can contain wildcards. You can use a with attribute-name = attribute-value clause to limit output only to directories whose attributes have values equal to the specified values. A space must precede and follow the = (equals sign). Privilege Required You must have read permission to the parent directory. If you use a with attribute-name = attribute-value clause in the command, you also need read or test permission to the selected directories. NOTE
This command is replaced at Revision 1.1 by the dcecp command and may not be provided in future releases of DCE. EXAMPLE
The following command displays the names of all the directories in the /.:/sales directory: cdscp> list directory /.:/sales/* LIST DIRECTORY /.../abc.com/sales AT 1991-10-15-15:43:58 atlanta austin boston chicago ontario ny seattle RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: add directory(1m), create directory(1m), delete directory(1m), remove directory(1m), set directory(1m), set directory to skulk(1m), show directory(1m) list directory(1m)